Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rise of the Tomb Raider - Art dump

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
Hey Polycount! I finally got around to organizing my art work from Rise of the Tomb Raider and wanted to share it with you guys. This is my first shipped title and I learned a ton while working on the game. Everything posted here deserves many thanks to the great art team at Crystal Dynamics.

Lara's Apartment, Main Menu Version: I was responsible for almost all aspects of this scene with help from Bren Adams for art direction and lighting.

Lara's Apartment Cinematic version: Lighting for these scene was done by Eidos Montreal's cinematic team.

Intro Cinematic: I was responsible for background terrain, foreground terrain, and set dressing of this cinematic.

Intro Cinematic: Far background mountain is a matte painting by the concept team.

Lord Croft's Office: Responsible for almost all aspects of this scene. Worked closely with Aubrey Pullman who did an amazing job with the lighting.

Lord Croft's Office

Lord Croft's Office 2nd Variant

Relics:

I was responsible for the final quality, lighting, and materials of all the collectible relics in the game. Models were outsourced, and materials were redone by me using our tileable texture library. These are a few samples of my favorites.

Tileable Materials:

Highpolys:

Mountain for intro cinematic done in World Machine.

Thanks for checking it out :smiley:

Replies

• xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome work @BARDLER! Stoked you got to learn a lot on your first shipped title, congrats! What were some of the coolest things you learned throughout the project? Always insightful learning from artists experiences :smile: 
  • osamano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really great stuff @BARDLERinspiring enough to help me out of a rut. I too would like to read what cool things you learned as, @xChris asked. Again, great job and congratulations. 
  • KaiserJohannes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaiserJohannes polycounter lvl 2
    I really like the main menu- more games should look like that (also i used to have that exact chair :smiley: )

any chance we can see a more detailed closeup of props from the game?
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really awesome. Can't wait to get my hands on this game once it's released for PC
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Congrats looks great!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Phenomenal stuff...I would love to see wires on some of this stuff!
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Great stuff, I worked on some of the other relic models, the materials look great!
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Great work here thanks for sharing with us! What are you rendering the material cubes in?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everybody! I will do my best to answer questions.
    xChris said:
    Awesome work @BARDLER! Stoked you got to learn a lot on your first shipped title, congrats! What were some of the coolest things you learned throughout the project? Always insightful learning from artists experiences :smile: 
    osamano said:
    Really great stuff @BARDLER, inspiring enough to help me out of a rut. I too would like to read what cool things you learned as, @xChris asked. Again, great job and congratulations. 
    Thanks guys. The biggest thing I learned is how to put together a scene from start to finish. Finding out what is important in the scene, doing a good composition around the focal point, working on lighting early on, and knowing where to spend my time are all important to a successful scene. Before I had a bad habit of getting lost in useless detail and not thinking about how everything would be tied together. I also learned a lot about the technical side of physically based materials and lighting which helps a ton with creating content and working with tech artists.
    I really like the main menu- more games should look like that (also i used to have that exact chair :smiley: )

any chance we can see a more detailed closeup of props from the game?
    The main menu was never really planned to be Lara's apartment. It was thrown together by our art director one day by taking the cinematic scene I was working on and fitting it into the main menu level. At first it wasn't received well because it was still a little rough, but after we put some time into it and my art director fought for the idea I think it grew on people.
    I didn't take any screenshots of individual props except for the relics unfortunately, which props were you interested in seeing? I can see what I can do.

slosh said:
    Phenomenal stuff...I would love to see wires on some of this stuff!
    Thanks :smiley:  I didn't take any wireframe shots, but can add some later if I get a chance.

CJE said:
    Great stuff, I worked on some of the other relic models, the materials look great!
    Thanks! All the relic models were great, you guys did an awesome job.
    Great work here thanks for sharing with us! What are you rendering the material cubes in?
    It is rendered in our engine using our material blend system.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Great work @BARDLER
    I look forward to playing this when it comes out on PS4 next year :)
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :smiley: 
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Great work and congrats on the release! 
  • sajin0084
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sajin0084 polycounter lvl 2
    I love the atmosphere of these images. It must be a real challenge making snow interesting (cause it's white and covers everything), but I feel cold in a good way looking at them. 
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats on shipping your first game!

I sadly haven't jumped into the game yet, its on my list, though!

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    congrats, really solid work, Im looking forward to playing the game some time
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
  • Mr Flopsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Flopsie polycounter lvl 5
  • brandv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandv3d polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome work! Gotta pick this game up.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome work. Awesome game.  I'm going to ask the big question that everyone really wants to know.
    Was substance designer used on any of the environment texturing? Thanks!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again guys!

synergy11 said:
    Awesome work. Awesome game.  I'm going to ask the big question that everyone really wants to know.
    Was substance designer used on any of the environment texturing? Thanks!
    We did not use Substance Designer for this project, just old school Zbrush and Photoshop techniques. We have transitioned to using it now though, which is great.
  • Dash-POWER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dash-POWER polycounter lvl 6
    Sorry for opening this thread after almost 2 years but I have to say: Outstanding work! The whole game has awesome gameplay experience. Animations, enviro art, lighting, game mechanics and everything is just perfect.

@BARDLER
    I have a few technical art questions. You don't need to tell how it's done if you are under nda or if it's CrystalDynamics's know-how.

1. Ice walls.
    They are looking really realistic. I'm guessing there is layered geometry with some opacity. What's the technique?

2. Snow specular glints
    I was thinking there are just random oriented spots on the normal map with high gloss but then you should get darker spots when a light source will change direction. Also I can see some kind of perlin/gauss mask applied on the snow surface so the spots are distrubuted randomly. How it's made?

Thank you for any feedback. :smiley:
  • Apocrs1980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    Excellent Job on this, Thoroughly enjoyed the game :smile: and the environments were top notch.