Home Technical Talk

3ds Max Vraydisplacment Mod problem |Stretched Wrinkels| Used Akin Bilgic´s tutorial and Testhead

Hi all,

according to Akin Bilgic´s accurate way to displace, i always used this method but always had the feeling that it is not exactly the same thing as my sculpt.

I downloaded his musician test head and exported the base mesh and the displacment map in zbrush like he is mentioning it in his tutorial.

my outcome:
after i followed his tutorial steps like i always did, seems to be oke BUT! there are some wrinkels, stratching over the whole face i guess.

Looks like this. (marked stratching with blue :I )

export settings/zbrush

stretched wrinkels in blue after a test render in vray /1light.

you can find the ztl tool on his hp at the bottom if u want to test for yourself.

http://www.cggallery.com/#tutorials

cant imagin how much this would help me. So thanks for reading and trying to help me.

thx

Replies

• zero389
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
      bump-
    anyone?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Displacement mapping depends heavily on the underlying mesh. If I don't have accurate-enough topology, I will get stretching. The better the topology when I bake the displacement, the less stretching. I get stretching if the displacement map has large height changes in close proximity, but the baking model does not represent a similar height changes. 
  • Eric Chadwick
  • zero389
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx  but i did not change any topology, as i said this is  a  model u can find on the  homepage of akin bilgic. 

Also u can see his outcome in his gallery.

So all in all i  should get  the same result  like he did but mine is stratched. Not in depth  but in width, so all wrinkels arent tight or overlaping  but  wide and stratched.

In 3ds max  u  can set your displacment map hight and depth settings to   lowest and  highest. If u set this to  like 100    and   -100 vray   is  searching for the highest amount  itself, as result this takes a bit longer to render. I tested that before. 

Its something  else,  thats why i set my title this way because i havent seen this  on any thread ever. Its a Displacment problem yes but not the one you would expect by not reading my problem. 

but thx eric your always here and telling me how terrible my threads are.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you're taking this the wrong way. I try to help others get answers to their problems. 

This is definitely about displacement and definitely about stretching, two words that would help experienced people find your thread.

People generally won't go thru a tutorial themselves just to find an answer for someone. Provide more information in your post, and it will help you get answers.

For example, did the author render in 3ds Max? Exactly the same method as you? First image is Zbrush, not Max, so I would usually expect different results if trying to duplicate it in another software.

I'm trying to help you. But if you're going to be passive-aggressive, I'll just pass.
  • zero389
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im sry but your post sounded aggresiv to  me and this wasnt the first time.

Secondly i will  provide all information i can or is asked for.

The author made a list using zbrush or mudbox and various applications for rendering with vray and also for arnold.
    I tried to show my settings in both programs.

I followed his tutorial and also tried some diffrent methods myself  with the same result.

I thought it is a better way to just talk less and provide the link, where all is explained well and better then i can. Because if someone knows the author he probably knows his site and this tutorial. Btw nobody has to go through the tutorial, its just the only one i could find which had the information i needed. 
    Every way from zbrush to 3ds max or at least settings for 3ds max would also be much appreciated.

Second  i just cant explain that good language wise, and dont want to spam so much  about akin belgic,  because he is probably not the only guy in the world who can use a vray displacment mod in 3ds max the correct way. But atm it is the only guy i know who has made a tutorial which leads in the correct way and isnt 10years old.

I try to change my thread name with something more familar to displacment problems. 

edit: changed title. Lets see.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I looked through our past threads, couldn't find anything aggressive, except the same kind of suggestions to provide more info. 

Good thread title. Hope someone helps with a solution. I wish I could help directly with the problem but I can't.

Oh, it would also help to provide software versions, since Max/Zbrush/V-Ray all have bugs particular to each version.

Did you try contacting the tutorial author?
  • zero389
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oke i keep  that in mind that no mod named mr.chadwick want to harm me or my writing skills  and only want to make  suggestions about better titles and formalities.

thx i hope that 2.

version info:
    Using zbrush 4r5 max2015  and vray 3.0+ depends on location but i guess its new enough to do  the job :)
    No i dont use and have maya :S 

Indeed i messaged akin bilgic (the author) for help but i guess he is 2 busy for something nubish like that and dont have time to respond. This happens alot but i  cant to more then ask.

No problem if u dont know any solution. U cant know everything and therefore the internet was created. To communicate with others over long distances and share/connect idears and informations.

;D
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only other suggestion I can make is to search the V-Ray forum, and post a query there. I know you said before you don't have an account there, but for me that came for free when I purchased it. That forum is the best resource, since the V-Ray developers actually reply.
  • zero389
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i found out that the displacment settings are ok in 3ds max. Problem is the generating part from zbrush. I got a map out of mudbox and a base mesh. Tried that and it works, even   doe you  have  to break the uvs in 3ds max like akin belgic already said.

Dont know what exactly zbrush does there but seems to be a problem on the zbrush  site. Never expected that  :O.

Well again for everyone who runs into the same Problem, try to creat the displacment map from another application to check that out.