Home Contests & Challenges Archives Company of Heroes 2: WAR PAINT contest

[Final] Fine Things - British Wood and Iron

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Shriken polycounter lvl 11
Hey all, so I'm slightly late starting my thread as I was testing the SDK to make sure I could actually participate! I love Company of Heroes 2 so I couldn't pass up this comp. I'll be taking my hand to a wood and iron look for the british, my goal is to have something a little different and "old skool" feeling.

I started working on it a little and have a few progress shots of it so far with the churchill!

screenshots are marmoset toolbag 1 to help mimic the in game shaders, I tested them in-game and they are looking practically the same luckily.

feedback is welcome, I'll be whacking out a substance graph to texture the rest of the tanks then iterate with any feedback or changes I want to make myself :).

Replies

• reallymadmaveric
  • Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck polycounter lvl 2
    Very interesting idea and look.  I like it.  Nice job!
  • f_x
    Nice.  Great application of the panels along the ridges above the treads.  Though to be honest I always thought it was the Soviet T-34's that were made out of wood :p
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    none tank was made by wood , only some before war and only for training reasons , some tank crew used wood materials to increase armor protection to the tanks , i.e USF tank crews using  tree woods and sand bags in shermans , an example is film "furry" wich is much accurate on that.
  • puppeteer
    Offline / Send Message
    puppeteer polycounter lvl 4
    Looks awesome!
    I was actually trying to put some studded wood panels on the su76 and t34, didn't go through with it but I might do that now to give you a bit of competition :D

Here's the reference I was trying to follow:

• reallymadmaveric
    Its  a great idea, novel, fresh and a whole new take on the old wooden barrel.  By the way I thought your iron looked better on the churchill than on this reference piece :)

• Bartek_RE
    Looks great! Reminds me of the good ol' Woodie station wagons from the 70's. Looking forward to how this will look on the other vehicles. Some of the small cars might almost look like classic Pinto's ;)
  • Relic_Orca
    The renders look amazing! It's almost..steampunk. Hopefully we can see more soon! 
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Want to put a shell through it lol
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    @puppeteer haha, I was hesitant to post initially thinking someone else might be running on the same lines! More the merrier I say.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I've just finished re-working the graph for the rest of the the tanks, I tested it on the centaur first! I just need to paint in specific areas that are baked from the high, such as the lines down the side ( I want them to be solid iron rivets) so I'll have to paint the colour IDs within painter and re-export them out. Heres a render of the centaur so far.

• Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    Shriken said:

screenshots are marmoset toolbag 1 to help mimic the in game shaders, I tested them in-game and they are looking practically the same luckily.

feedback is welcome, I'll be whacking out a substance graph to texture the rest of the tanks then iterate with any feedback or changes I want to make myself :).
    I wish I knew what any of this meant!  marmoset toolbag?  substance graph?  Guess I have some googling to do :smiley:
    The images look amazing.  It would be a shame to ruin these with the decals the game will cover them with...
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    @Starbuck Marmoset is just a renderer for realtime meshes, I'm using the older version as its not PBR based. Substance graphs are just substance designers files more or less :)

Trucking along the first pass, almost got most of them ready, still have to do some personal touches to all these and some possible tweaks for the in-game. This weekend I hope to finish up every other vehicle and begin getting winter varieties ready!

Comet

AEC

• RickyJohnston
    this on is good happy to read it
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ spam :s?

thought I'd share my winter look test, the cromwell charging to the front line. I'll hopefully have a lot more to follow up this evening. The in-game shots need balancing for the games shader, as they aren't looking correct just yet! Making the snow layer was quite fun, it should adapt to the rest of the tanks as a filter quite easily.

• Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    righto, valentine reporting for duty! I think I've fixed the balancing issues displayed above too :D, I've darkened the iron which is helping distinguish materials much better. On top of that I've added more variation into the spec map. I've gone a little too far with the specular, but its much improved for the in-game view than previously! I'll hopefully have much more in-game views to show soon. Running low on time for this.

• georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Excellent details, well done.
  • f_x
    Pretty sweet.  Company of Steampunk.
  • Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    Extremely impressive!  Love the renders.
  • reallymadmaveric
    Really good dusting of snow
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm finally finished!

Apart from the fact that the game refuses to accept my mod files split up currently :( which I hope won't disualify me. Here is some shots of summer mode anyway! I'll post up the winter shots in a bit.

• f_x
    Awesome.

And I think they said if you post to the "Your final entry" thread, they can consider it submitted while still allowing for additional time for troubleshooting.
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope so, I'll shortly post up there!

Here are the winter shots.

• Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    if anyone can help me, I'm currently trying to submit my mod, but when its split into smaller chunks it no longer registers in-game to be published. However the mod builder finishes with 0 errors. I'm struggling to understand what is causing it to not appear :(
  • f_x
    How did you split it?  Did you create new mods from scratch so each has a unique ModID string?  Are they all uniquely named as well?  If they are not stepping on each other, and were built without issues, then the next place to look is the warnings.log file from when the game is run.  The file is in your home directory under Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2.  If you open it and search for the name of your mod, there might be a clue there as to what's going on.

Also I wanted to ask... are the white stripes in your screengrabs part of your maps, or are they added by the game when you pause it and hide the UI?  I had the latter situation happen to me often when trying to get clean images.  I had to take some screengrabs with and without the UI so I could patch in the bits where it was adding the stripes.
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks F_X I managed to get them all to build, however I've run into another problem, since the british have 6 medium vehicles and 1 heavy, the file sizes for my medium summer and winter packages are almost 250mb each :(. I don't know of a way to condense them further either. While my heavy packages contain only 40mb, it doesn't seem to allow interchangable skins either, since you can run one without the others.

Another issue seems to be the workshop preview files I wish to add, I can't seem to get them to work, it's what was causing my initial problems with the mods disappearing. The wiki says to add a .tga to the info folder to burn, but it simply breaks my submission instead.

I hope I can fix this tomorrow, it's a shame steam has such a low limit on file uploads.
  • f_x
    Hopefully Relic can advise about splitting further to reduce filesize.  I am just speculating here, but I bet they can receive a skin pack split into 8 parts (even though some of those parts would then be incomplete and not good to play with) and regroup them down to the usual 6 or however many they need to.  After all, the reason these packages are so large is because they include the source files, so they'll have those.

Regarding the preview files, there's just one preview .tga to include (the 280x280 "album cover" as I call it).  All the preview screenshots that will show up in the workshop need to be uploaded separately after you publish, and are not a part of the burn process.
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    good luck with skinpack is a alternative way of high details armor well done!
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, hopefully I get them on the store currated soon!
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Look what happened with the shop , at first you need a strong stomach and have patience with the upload, if you see a error code 10 , rety again , carefull since the skinpack uploaded in cloud and submits the amound of it's MB capacity until a full upload occures. And after you need a preview /promo ;) but that's the easy part , the main goal is the upload.
  • Shriken
    Offline / Send Message
    I still can't get my packages under 200mb for the store to accept them, the 6 medium vehicles the british have seem just too much. I'm not sure there is a way around this?
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    well that might be a problem , I don't have an answer to that , I understand you burn nrm etc to get that visual and that is total acceptable , let them responce about that.
  • Choccy_Starfish
    Shriken said:
    I still can't get my packages under 200mb for the store to accept them, the 6 medium vehicles the british have seem just too much. I'm not sure there is a way around this?

I've run into the same problem, so I'm going to be splitting them up. 3 lights, 6 mediums and 1 heavy is too much. I put the Comet and Firefly in the 'heavy' category, to even out the load a bit. I hope this won't be a problem on Relic's end.
  • Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    At this point I don't think it matters how you group things to get it to post to the workshop. 
    Relic has stated that they understand the problems associated with the workshop and submissions.  I say split it how you can to get it to work.  Just call them pack 1 of 5 or whatever.  GL!
  • Kyle_RE
    Hey Shriken,

Please make sure you accept the latest Steam Workshop Agreement. Your submission in the Steam Workshop is currently not visible to the public because of this reason. 

Thanks!

Kyle