Home Contests & Challenges Archives Company of Heroes 2: WAR PAINT contest

[WIP] LivingMachines - Hellbound Infantry

Replies

• georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    yes I know that means divided summer and winter in smaller parts like heavy/medium / light armor. I total understand the effects and the adding depth of normal files , we used modified ones for coh1 to adding zimmerit , but now we try to adjust that with paint with depth , due to limitations of space.
    Grumpntug is making an excellent work with nrm.

• Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Grumpntug polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks all! Yeah size is going to be a big issue. No idea how I need to break those up. I guess I'm going to have light medium heavy as different uploads and then the snow variants as different uploads. Not awesome but whatever. As long as it's under the limit. That should be fine.

I'll look at the normal options after I finally finish this last truck.
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup compression fixed it. They look correct now. Will share after the truck :)<3 you all!
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    you can see if both mediums summer ans winter wont be bigger than 200 then you can combine both in that way otherwise you need 6 different mini skinpacks.
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah that was hopefully going to be my approach Georider. So many packs for the store but whatever works.

I got them all done. That was a beast and a half. Issue I'm worried about now is that obviously I needed a new diffuse, normal, spec, and gloss, for each vehicle. Which means a lot of bloat. We'll see. BUT I'm ready to move on to my polish pass for some color tweaks, winter versions, and store art.

• Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    I just did the math and I am 64mb per vehicle because of the new textures. I'm goign to have to break this up into like 2 vehicle or 3 vehicle sets. Ugh.
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh... I'm stupid and have been looking at all this too long. I was looking at raw TGA texture size which of course is going to be stupid big. Compressed into the sga format the whole thing is 300mb so breaking it up into light, med, heavy summer pack and winter packs is going to work fine. My bad.
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    I don't think that will be a problem , the spliting have to do for the uploading , curate items can not be download only for voting , so make a point at your preview text and everything will be fine.
    You have done a masterpiece with nrm's defened we must learn to do the same for zimmerit !!! well done once more.
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright! Thank you for the kind words Georider :) 

I just finished the color tweaks and everything for the summer skins so they are done. Tomorrow night I will be doing winter variants and then I can split them up and upload them to steam. Here are some shots of all of the summer variant vehicles. This was no easy task haha.

• puppeteer
    Offline / Send Message
    puppeteer polycounter lvl 4
    About the size, wouldn't Relic just get the full quality textures from you and finalize them the way they see fit? It would be weird if they just relied on us to package the projects, it would not be consistent with the official skins.

Also, wouldn't you want them to include a normal/specular map of your texture and not just the colors we have now?
  • reallymadmaveric
    looking  nice in ame those normals are certainly having a good impact with the in game lighting

• georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    puppet I don't think that must be the point , it's not relic's issue it is cloud space limitations , I think that is the only way for Grumpntug to upload the skins  with all details and his work.

• soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome Grump, really well executed!
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Yeah puppet we do package ourselves using their tool and then upload to steam. The textures aren't an issue since it was my mistake looking at the tga texture size and not the compressed sga. But I will need to break things up into light medium and heavy submissions because I'm changing a lot and am including all the maps needed.

so tonight is winter variant then store image so I can package and upload.
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm trying to build my mod and I get that an item with the same key has already been added. I'm trying to build with curated selected. Do I need to build with release checked to see in game and the switch to curated when I package?
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmmm never mind. Wondering if these keys are in use by others so I had to keep making packs until I got keys that weren't in use. Building now though.
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright. I finished it up and put it on steam. That was a beast and a half.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Grumpntug/myworkshopfiles/?appid=231430

Thanks to everyone for the kind words and the help along the way. Good look to all of you and I hope to see some awesome stuff make it in game :)
  • Choccy_Starfish
    I admire your patience Grump. Seems like you had a lot of fun making these. I hope Relic recognizes the effort you put in.

Good job.
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks choccy. Unfortunately I forgot what day it was and stayed up super late finishing it all thinking I only had tonight left to finish up so I got an hour of sleep. You get real stupid when it's late :-/ But! It's up and on the shop. Will be updating some store images probably tomorrow evening since I will probably  be sleeping tonight. 

well see how it all goes! :D
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Well shit. I forgot to prefix my mod files with "Polycount" as outlined in the instructions. I asked around Q&A and messaged someone to see how important that is but am waiting on a reply. It would be a huge bummer if that disqualified me.
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    I also protest about it , it's silly to redone all the work for such minor leftover, you can rename the mod desciption to polycount .....skinpack etc, it's not so easy to start over , in fact I have to rebuild summer and winter only and get stack , imagine you with six pack files.....it isn't fair to rebuilt from start.
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    I got in touch with CoH2 guys through twitter and they said it was fine. They've been keeping track of what's happening with the contest so I'm all set. I did want to add a normal map fix in the medium skin set but I think I'm too late. I think once it's up, I can't change anything.
  • Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck polycounter lvl 2
    Grumpntug said:
    I got in touch with CoH2 guys through twitter and they said it was fine. They've been keeping track of what's happening with the contest so I'm all set. I did want to add a normal map fix in the medium skin set but I think I'm too late. I think once it's up, I can't change anything.
    As long as the name of your mod hasn't changed, I believe if you publish it again, it will override/update the file you already posted.  You could also just remove or delete the medium skin set from the workshop and then re upload your updated version.
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    curated items make update as ready to use from the inside game menou, I already did that in my winter skinpack since I forget to change the opening picture. He must do the same and add as text the changes in  Change Notes in workshop.
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool. I'll update tonight. Little bummed to see the skin isn't super popular on the workshop. The voting stuff can be brutal but people think what they think. Will update my files and some store images tonight.
  • Relic_Orca
    I wouldn't get too discouraged. There's a chunk of the audience that will downvote anything not historical. The categories were defined to break out of that box and see how creative people could get. We're working on options to allow players to select what they prefer to make everyone happy... :)
  • Starbuck
    Offline / Send Message
    Starbuck polycounter lvl 2
    And there's a large chunk of voters who downvote historical stuff too. Don't worry, you can't please everyone. :)
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh for sure. I'm not as worried as that maybe sounded. I've just learned from other workshop stuff that knowing the game and audience is important in what you make buuuuut as orca pointed out they defined the categories so I'm happy with how things turned out :) it's up to the gods at this point.
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    Relic_Orca your point is not correct , Grumpntug have done an excellent work , because he adjust nrm etc and devote hours , so his "pain" and hours that devoted is something that regognising only from us thouse who get involved in the developing of skins.  we know how much time need to do such work, also that is a point that your devs can agnloledge as well. So I don't see a point on that,  even that his skins will be devoted from what you are called historical audience not to get included inside,  you are judging what goes on or of at the end. I like to mark down the following point of view,  historical comunity want only skins with cammo patterns, one color or winter wash colored are not so popular in our days after 7 months of custom skins, my personal point of view is that we look a skin/model , the way the author make it , colors, decals, weathering , adjustment, on short words at the end we want to see what a hobby modelers wants to see from a historical model, there are not much different in virtual or real models at the point of final result.
    I'm a skinner with historical point of view , but also I'm a 2D and I know, or understand, how much time a dev devoted to a skin , so you can make that known public, spead the word to judge from result and not by been historical or not, let the comunity to understand your points that want or not to see inside a skin, make that contest to have a result saw the real face of that contest, that you want  comunity mod/skin/devs be regognisable from their efford and not other reasons, such reasons that the majority won't seen with good eye the curate items, also that is a point of devoted, i.e " I don't wan't to pay for something that "author/skiner" will or must be release by free" there also a big category in COH2 that don't care for automatches , also there are others that don't care for skins they watch the game with a "starcraft" eye etc etc. So please don't put labels , it's much more complicate.
    Sturbuck also have a point they will be many that devoted historical skins too, for their own reasons. Words or actions can't saw the real face behind a keyboard.
  • Grumpntug
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh. I just tried updating my medium skin pack with my fixes and it says file not found for some reason. The file is there. I've re-built and checked multiple times so not sure what's happening. Just throws up error code 9 and says file not found :( guess I wont be updating for the contest. That's too bad.
  • georider
    Offline / Send Message
    georider polygon
    That is a steam cloud issue , i get the same when tried to upload my skinpack from my accound for some reason the item is in cloud but not updated and it catching cloud space , that was the reson that used 2nd account to upload, there are many problems and valve have not respont yet in my tickets, I don't think that is relic's problem but they must understand something and contaqct with valve to check that cloud space issues. for the record i lost 350 MB cloud space since it upload 2 currate items but never been vissual on accound but there are still in cloud .