Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PBR/Substance Painter - Nb.39 Smoke Grenade

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Benvox2 polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

I decided to take one of my old models and re texture it in order to learn about the PBR/metalness pipeline and Substance Painter. Here is my result, I think it is ok, but something is not quite right, it seems a bit flat or something.

Here are a few images in SB view port and also one in Toolbag 2, the model is 672 tris so its more of a 3rd person view item. Any C&C would be really appreciated as this is my first try at a PBR texture.

Thanks!

Replies

• ross185
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185 polycounter lvl 6
    Looks good, but as you say, it is a little flat. As it is painted metal on the head, you could probably chip some of it away to show the metal underneath. The paint would most likely be chipped off on the edges, but try not to make it to uniform (all around the edges).

The paint on the wood could also be slight rubbed/chipped away, maybe add dark dirt in some areas. I've recently had the same critique for my project as it was too flat, so trying to pass on the info i got :smile: 

Try and think how it would be used in real life, from how it is held (would the hands be dirty and leave marks), how it would be stored or put down etc and look at lots of references.

Hope this helps!
  • Benvox2
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for sharing your own feedback Ross, that is really helpful. I guess like you are saying, I need to add more light variation on all surfaces, metal/wood. Here is some of the reference I am using, the problem with most of the (coloured) pics is that they are new versions used for WW2 reenactments and so they are not usually made out of the same materials as the real ones.

Looking at the bottom right corner image, I am thinking maybe I need to reduce the roughness of the painted metal to make it slightly smoother? 

I don't want to make an overly used and worn grenade but I also want to get some interesting details and clear material separation, such a hard balance to reach.
  • demigodssw
    Offline / Send Message
    demigodssw greentooth
    i think adding some more generators for scratches and dust will solve the problem.
  • Benvox2
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input Demi, I must admit, I don't have very many on now, but I really want to avoid going over the top with wear but still somehow get a clear division between wood and metal, perhaps scene lighting will affect this a lot?

I will however experiment with some different subtle generators so thank you.
  • Benvox2
    Offline / Send Message

Ok tweaked some values, I think its starting to head in the right direction. I still want to add some unique damage and re-do the white paint, maybe add a little more dirt too.
  • Benvox2
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the feedback, for anyone interested, I made a few adjustments and decided to make it slightly older/more beat up. I then got it into UE4 for rendering.
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Not bad, but your wood doesn't look as smooth and shiny as the reference.
  • Benvox2
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I decided to make it a little more beat up as it was looking very 'flat' at first, but yea it has caused me to stray from the reference a fair bit.