Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Panzerkampfwagen 38 Ausf F

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
I started this this friday night as some sporklet practice, some hours later i was making a tank.
The point of this tank is to improove my skills as usual, for this particular project i am trying to make my tank accurate as it was critiqued on my tiger as well as add some damange with zbrush and try substance for the textures.
Heres some progress i got during the weekend, critics are really welcome!

42c19d1039jpg

Replies

• maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Two more from todays playaround, started making the sideskirts, they still need more work
    6bbf02a807.jpg
    a295e827cf.jpg
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Some more progress on my panzer 38, finished the back and now i am working on the sides and minor detailing.
    Are the renders of the high poly good? I dont know if they are to glossy, or if the lighting is bad. I am trying to get better at presenting my high poly wips. They are rendered in Keyshot with a standard car paint material in different colours.
    001656969c.png
    0e1a381cff.png
  • clinington
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Looks great so far :D It's a really nice render of your model but could really do with some textures to show damage etc. Substance Designer should do the trick. Look forward to seeing more progress!
  • Xazas
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    Looks very good, nice attention to detail. I would maybe go for less gloss when presenting the HP.

If you want to make it look more individual you could strap some equipment to the outside of the tank. Backpacks, crates, fuel cans, tools and stuff like that. just a quick idea.

Also looking forward to see this textured.
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks a lot guys!
    @Xazas i am in the process on adding some more details to the sides, as well as working on a "modular" pack of tools, so i can include them in the sides of my next tanks as well :), thanks a lot for the suggestion!
    I will try to make the renders less glossy next time, i am not planing on adding materials or anything to the hp as that will be done to the low poly.
    Also if somebody knows some good resources of tip and advices for hard surface detailing in zbrush it would be cool if you can hand them over :)
    I am looking just to add some bumps to the exhaust and the side skirts
  • Micaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaki polycounter lvl 3
    @maxivz Result is fine, i see some some issues with tracks, some part should be thicker some thinner.Fenders(or side skirts) cannot be thicker than tracks (look here http://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/panzer-38t-walk/) Gun is too big? Hard to judge when you look at model only for a few minutes. Towbar(that's how its called?) is too wide.
    What blueprint you use as reference? Some of them are poorly made. You can look at scale models for more references, they are almost always based on real life measurements or cad data. Also such glossy material is not a good idea for presentation

Zbrush tip, elastic brush/ soft clay/ soft concrete with alpha 01 is good to create welding marks
    If you want you can pm me with your email, i could show you some good references for texturing or modeling tanks. Or we can just talk a momment :P
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Managed to get the bakes done, now going for the materials! I went pretty high res as i didnt want any detail to go away, specially on the tracks as i want to make a vr walk around for the model and without enough supporting topology it can look pretty fake from close.
    I am at 100k triangles, using a 4x2k map for the turret and another one for the wheels, sporklet and tracks and a 4x4k map for the rest of the tank. After i finish the texutres for the tank i will work on the tools as they can be reused for other tank models. I am going to do the weldings in the texturing stage, going to give substance painter a try
    99d9bf0848.png
    4fc917bbb0.png
    2ba329d612.png
    4b8732d69b.png
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Started working on the textures, critics welcome!

• Cyph3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good! I feel its maybe a tiny bit too flat? 

What are you using to make the textures?
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thanks cyphh3r, Im working in substance painter mainly, any suggestions to add more depth to it?
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Heres some screen from the progress i made this weekend,  worked mainly on getting the low poly for the cart and crew tools baked and with some base materials. The textures on the tanks also have some small refinements but nothing serious, the next step is to focus on getting all the textures ready and some good lighting going on. Hopefully i will be able to finish it before the end of the year
    C&C welcome! :smiley: 

• Colditz
    Finally, something for the german war effort. Thanks, I like it!
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Hey thanks colditz! I remember seeing your ww 2 weapon thread, you should keep it up with them! I love german world war 2 stuff, it has such interesting shapes and design. They are really different from today standards.

• maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Finally calling it done now, this has been a really fun and i managed to learnt a lot. Looking forward to start a new tank project in 2016.
    I have uploaded a marmoset viewer link and some more photos in artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/da3rX
    Thanks everybody for the feedback and help, and hope you have a great new year and holidays.