Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retro Petrol

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10

Hello all!

I am creating this thread to document my progress through a personal project I'm working on.

I had sketched up idea for a scene composition a while back and have finally started it. After seeing some photos of old retro gas pumps, I thought they had some really nice forms with soft rounded corners that could read well in a hard surface 3d model.

Since the idea revolved around the gas pump I started by making it first.

I spent considerable time collecting reference til I felt comfortable with the forms, and designed this one by sampling from several different pumps.

The collection of references I primarily pulled from:

Until next time!  

Replies

• Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to zoom into the handle itself and use it as a means to explore Substance Painter. There's definitely some painstaking prep work before getting your model into painter, but it pays off once you get the hang of it. I'm liking the mix between automation and being able to hand alter details. One goal, which may come in time and practice, is to minimize even wear as well as have wear details in areas that make sense for the aging process of a material. 

• Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message

Hello again, I'm back to post up my finished results of this side project. It was a lot of fun and a good exercise in workflow to complete.

An interesting challenge was capturing all the detail nuances in the presentation shots, as their visibility seems to depend on the finding just the right angle of light and camera

I used Substance Painter to texture and one thing I noticed was right off the bat was that it was easy to get some pretty believable and extreme grunge pretty quick. But after a few iterations, I took about a day really studying some reference and trying to make the weathering appear more authentic and not necessarily as extreme as these abandoned gas pumps we might find today.  

Thanks for checking it out!

• purplekami
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    I love it, the colors are on point.
    My only tiny nitpick is that it doesn't really look like the numbers can change, it looks like a framed poster more than a mechanical piece.
    Love the details at the bottom too!
  • Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    @purplekami Yeah I left the display just a flat plane with a texture, but in hindsight, actually modeling out the detail and baking it down would have given it more depth.  Thanks for the feedback!
  • allengingrich
    Offline / Send Message
    allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
    Wonderful job. The display stuck out to me, too. Other than that, pretty great.
  • Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, got this set up in Sketchfab. Enjoy zooming in to your hearts content!
  • Subtle 1rony
  • Sam Leheny
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Leheny polycounter lvl 9
    I wish people put the effort to make random tat in our day to day lives artistic. Everything is so cheap and functional looking these days.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Damn fine piece, I love how simple you kept it. Except for above mentioning the number counter, you seem to have smoothing errors in the corners on the square pieces surrounding the counter. It might be like that in the references, and if so ignore what I said, but if not it sticks out when viewing the model in 3d. But great job! 
  • Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
     @Nuclear Angel I totally see those corners. The normal map seems to have been okay in that area so I had just written it off to one of Substance painter's wearing effects. Another reason to take the time to tailor the procedural texturing effects and not always just stick with the out of the box results. which can be pretty tempting, cause some of the grunge effects are really cool! But in some cases maybe more extreme than I ultimately wanted.