Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Barret (FFVII) Fan Art Character Model

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ABorre12 polycounter lvl 7

Finally completed this fan art piece of Barret from FFVII! The goal was to create a high resolution but efficient game model of one the most memorable Final Fantasy characters from my childhood. I wanted to capture the character as I imagined him when I played the game as a kid, loosely using the artwork from the original game as concept.

The project has been a great learning experience, I'm excited to use the knowledge on future projects!

Software:

ZBrush for sculpting 
Maya for hard surface work, low res creation 
Marvelous Designer for cloth simulation 
iPackThat/Maya for UVs 
Substance Painter/Photoshop for textures 
Maya for rigging, posing 
Rendered in Unreal Engine 4.

51858 tris 
2x4096 texture maps

Turntable: 

https://vimeo.com/148552591

Replies

• Stavaas
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Holy shit dude, you captured him perfectly IMO. Well done!
  • ABorre12
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Stavaas : )
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This is pretty solid but I think your materials need work.  The metals read really dull to me.  The skin feels very red.  And there isn't any spec on the eyes either...they look very white too.  Just small tweaks but they will make a large difference in the final render.  Try getting more contrast between materials.
  • ABorre12
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Slosh, I've decided to revisit this guy and push him a bit further. Really appreciate the critique! The flaws become less apparent after staring at him for days on end
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hey
    It looks amazing!
    I do, however, agree with slosh in that better material definition and work overall (mainly the organics) would make a significant difference. Some spec/gloss on the eye, lips and other materials would help alot IMO.

• Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Looks great, but he has a strangely small/flat chest considering how muscular his arms are. That also kind of accentuates his hunch which makes him look a tad sickly.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I really want to like this... But there are some things i can't get over:
    1. Barret's frame is supposed to be incredibly squat, from the concept art through to his world model in the original game, and even his battle model, he's always shown as being this ridiculously broad, almost hulking figure. It's practically a parody of (at the time) american action heroisms from the point of view of the Japanese. It's something that could really be pushed here to better effect. Shortening the legs a little, broadening the shoulders, pumping up his pecs and biceps.

2. Character preferences aside (i actually like the way you've translated the outfit and made the machine gun arm quite believable as a form of working tech with the ammo pack), the lighting really leaves a lot to be desired here. It very much looks like this is rendered in something offline with some point or spot lights, and no form of ambient reflections or IBL going on, i think that's why a lot of the surfaces aren't coming across believably. So i'd be curious to know what you're rendering with to achieve such a poor result from what is otherwise looking like good source art.
  • ABorre12
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

As far as proportions go, I intentionally went with a more realistic/achievable physique. I know this strays from the original character, but for me it was part of making him more believable. 

I have much to learn about lighting! This is my first time messing with it in UE, as I've never had to light in a professional setting. I'm starting to see it's necessary for personal growth. If anyone has any good resources for UE4 lighting I'd greatly appreciate it.

I really appreciate the critiques. It's the best and worst feeling knowing there is still so much to learn :D.

New (hopefully nicer) renders coming soon..
  • Tsunamix
    Offline / Send Message
    Tsunamix polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man, this model is nothing but absoluely perfect to me. This is fantastic. I have a proposition for you though. Im a modder of ff7 and i can actually import your exact model into the game we all know and love and ill send the files for it after so you can enjoy it too. If your intereted please let me know asap. I can not express how impressed i am with your work and would very much love to do this for you. also if you wanted your model spread throughout some modding communities i will be happy too and spread your name around. Only thing i could suggest is if you could possibly make it as close to the origional as possible it will be a huge hit everywhere unless you say you dont want it published in which case i can just do it for you. If you agreed to this and do more characters you could change the face of ff7 modders entirely on your own. Not sure if this site will message me to say i got a reply or not so if possible email me on shadow1918@hotmail.co.uk and i will drop anything im doing to work on this. Thanks looking forward to a reply
  • Tsunamix
    Offline / Send Message
    Tsunamix polycounter lvl 3
    Please let me buy this from you. You'll still own it but i'd love to use it for stuff. It would be amazing. PM me or email me at any point on tsunamod@gmail.com and we can discuss a price. Please