Home General Discussion

Anyone upgrading to Windows 10?

Replies

• Devin Busha
    I came to this thread several times when considering to upgrade or not. I did and can honestly say I'm digging Windows 10 coming from Windows 7.

I've used it for about two weeks for both work and gaming. Everything I've thrown at it thus far has worked . /knocks on wood :poly124:

It was a bit slow after the initial upgrade, but a few updates later and it feels like I'm on a new system. Seriously.

- My boot time has been lowered considerably, there's no crazy lag after the login screen, and general use just feels a lot smoother.

- I find the Window Snapping, Virtual Desktop tools, and the little Dashboard Start Bar to be especially useful. I've really been able to speed up my workflow with them.

For example, I've uncluttered my desktop by pinning commonly used programs and folders as tiles to the Start Menu. Really handy having all that at the press of a button.

Also splitting work between a few virtual desktops has really helped. Pairing desktops for Production, Task Tracking and Notes, Ref, and Web Browsing / Music.

I feel like that's really where the snapping tools shine. When I start my day, I access all my stuff from the Start tiles and quickly create work spaces with them on each desktop. Window positions are saved too, So you really only have to create them once. But if you make another, you've got the tools you need to do it quickly. Love'm.

- I initially used Cortana to set quick reminders, play music, and do web searches, but found the feature to be a little buggy and disabled it after the 10th or so experience of yelling "Hey Cortana" and nothing happening.

- The only other glitches I've seen outside of Cortana are that sometimes when under Settings, clicking something like Personalization will result in the window opening and closing immediately after. Hasn't done that in a while tho. When it did, Logging out and back in normally fixes it.

I hope this helps anybody looking to upgrade! :)
    - Dev
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    The latest update to Chrome fixed 90% of the issues I was having with loading webpages, so there goes one of my only two substantial complaints!
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    I personally like Edge, I can't wait until things improve hopefully by October.
  • PollySong
    Offline / Send Message
    PollySong polycounter lvl 14
    I was developing a web page with a lot of flowing/responsive elements and had the same page open in Firefox, Chrome and Edge for testing, and Edge is by far the fastest of the browsers. The page lags and flutters in Chrome/Firefox (while resizing browser), but in Edge it's buttery smooth. It feels very snappy and efficient, it's actually enjoyable to use. Feels weird saying that after hating on IE for so long.
  • Gadorian
    Offline / Send Message
    Gadorian polycounter lvl 7
    I also like Edge, and how it's integrated in win10, but until they release Adblock for it, I'm sticking with Chrome
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Still no fix for Nvidia driver issues with Substance Painter ( unless u retreat to pre win10 whql drivers 347.xx. Which I can't do considering the considerable SLI fixes since 355.80 )

Anyone able to paint with any real complexity in Painter?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The driver has been fixed on the NVidia side, we tested it successfully. We are now waiting on NVidia to officially release it, should be a matter of days now.
  • Devin Busha
    If you're getting this error, here's what worked for me.

critical-error-screenshot-start-menu-cortana-windows-10.jpg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPHVEv_aR2I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPHVEv_aR2I[/ame]

** Quick Instructions from ^ **

1. Open Task Manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del

2. File > Run New Task > Type "Cmd"

- Alternatively you can create a new folder on your desktop,
    Open it, click File, then click the little arrow to the right of "Open Command Prompt" and select "Open Command Prompt as Administrator".

3. Type "sfc /scannow". The scan will take a few minutes

4. After the scan, type "chkdsk c:/f" and Reboot.

Tip - You can get to restart options via Ctrl+Alt+Del

I hope this helps! :)
    - Dev
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    So I upgraded. And had first crash since 3-4 years. Some video problem.

For now, if you need the most stable Windows version, stick with fully updated Windows 8 (Windows 8.1.1 something?).
    Boot time slowed down compared to 8. My first day, so maybe it will speedup.

I had also couple lock downs, where the UI stops responding and I have to restart, because when I try to log out it just stuck spinning the wheel.
    For now I think they happens when I watch YouTube video on Opera so I try to avoid it for the last couple hours. Don't know if it happens on other browsers too, didn't had time to test it.

Beside those problems it works OK. Upgrade went smoothly and all programs work.

Will report back some in a month to see what changed.
  • lefix
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I had a working windows 10 preview build installed, but they offered no option to update to windows 10 after the official launch. So I had to install windows 8 again to be able to update, but not without having to manually install network drivers because the internet wasn't working anymore. Then, after finally updating to windows 10, the computer wasn't able to boot anymore.  So I had to install Windows 8 again. Now I am stuck on Windows 8 :P 

I may or may not risk updating to windows 10 again in the future, but certainly not anytime soon. Also considering switching to linux or mac next...
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I'm not sure why you didn't get the upgrade cause it was push as a build like anything else. But you know you can install windows 10 from an ISO using your windows 8 key.

http://www.windowsalle.com/you-can-now-activate-your-windows-10-copy-by-using-windows-788-1-product-key/

• Tim Lewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim Lewis polycounter lvl 7
    I've been using Windows 10 for awhile now. Overall, it seems... okay? The UI looks better and I love the new window snapping features, but I also feel like I've wasted a lot of time changing the default programs away from the largely useless "app" variants, disabling telemetry, and changing the update schedule. I had some slight hiccups with the video driver install and tablet setup too.

It's not a groundbreaking release and unless you really want to try it out, wait until SP1 at least.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I installed new NVidia drivers, with some fix for nvlddmkm.sys. This is the video error many people reported. For now it seems to work. I played DeusEx Human Revolution and it didn't blue screened me, so I hope that this will be the end of my Windows 10 problems, because It grow on me and I like it more than W8 right now :)
    EDIT:
    Well fuck. It just crashed on me again with nvlddmkm.sys error. Hmm... :(

• iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @mantragora your problem may be old drivers, i had a similar issue in windows 8 which my pc would randomly then frequently crash because of the  driver. 

As you install updates the old versions are still there and apparently in use, so if you have problems the best thing to do is make sure your drivers are completely removed. Cause even if you "uninstall" them, they'll still be there. 

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

The program above is for that, it should resolve your problems. 
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    //edit: just saw the post on the last page about this, going to try that stuff today!!

I upgraded, and was fine for a few days... but I now have an issue where my start menu will not work. Every time i hit it, i get a Critical Error message, that says if "Your Start menu isnt working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in." If you sign out and in, it just breaks again and Win10 didn't really try to fix it. I had fresh installed win10 to a new SSD, could not find my win7 discs to save my life :(

After some intertubes scrubbing, it appears it is a known issue and MS has no fix. There are some work arounds people have posted, which I need to try, but unfortunately the work arounds are not permanent fixes. Every once in a while..the start menu will reappear, but you cannot search or click on it. Glorious tease!

This error makes it so you cannot drag stuff to the task bar, or pin software, and a Critical Error message box persists on screen. Windows key + letter still functions, so things are still kind of accessible, just need to know how to navigate windows with the keyboard. I've also noticed the annoying-as-fuck windows tablet garbage appearing when using Photoshop, and haven't been able to kill it. I can't WinKey + snip, and it makes me want to murder.

I'd say avoid 10 and stick with 7, 10 is not worth the hassle, especially when there has been a problem with it and MS has no idea how to fix it - or hasn't yet.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @moose yeah that'd be an annoying issue...

What do you mean by windows tablet stuff? Are you talking about flick snf stuff like that? They should be in pen settings.

Maybe you could consider using the slow bracket of preview versions of windows 10? That may fix things, it's what i've been using without any real problems, there' an issue with modern app icons not looking right but other than that fine. Last resort would be doing a reset which would keep your files but remove your programs. 
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Tried the fix, didn't work, still have Critical Error :(

By that I mean the Doppler effect that happens on click+hold. Flicks and side-bar crap is all off, its just the Doppler cursor ping that randomly appears. Need to dig some more to try to disable it, just isnt as easy to find stuff when the start menu isn't working. Can get to settings via desktop background rclick menu still! Notice it happening randomly when using Liquify in Photoshop, and off/on in Photoshop. I generally tab out, and back in to fix it, so not sure if the issue lies with Photoshop, Wacom, or Windows! haha. 

I also have a lot of issues with it never recognizing my account as an administrator. Many actions prompt for admin access, and regardless of settings i set seem to keep asking for it over and over. Wonder if I need to create a new account or something. 

TLDR: WTB a win 7 disc :)
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I upgraded my mom's laptop to 10. Really not seeing the benefit here,  aside from them dangling directx12 in front of you like bait. I'm beginning to think I'm sitting pretty with 8.1. Seems like a lot of issues to sort through for a little cleaner UI experience.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @moose

According to this there's a major update for windows 10 coming out today.

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/11/12/first-major-update-for-windows-10-available-today/

So maybe see what happens there. 

You can acess control panel and other settings by right clicking the start button, that should help you find the pen settings you're looking for. 

As for the admin issue, i'm not sure what you mean there. You mean the little UAC "click ok" prompt? Or is it something else? 
  • ZippZopp
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    i built a new system this week and decided to give windows 10 a shot.  everything installed fine, it appears as though all programs I use installed properly and run (maya, photoshop, zbrush, mudbox, knald, substance designer, substance painter, camtasia, lightroom)

i haven't done any extensive testing yet.  the only thing that i'm still trying to work out is some tablet issues.  I have a wacom intuos4 and didn't see a windows 10 driver on wacom's site.  I used the windows 8.1 driver and it installed.  the tablet seems to be functional, but i have a few issues here and there with that stupid radial animation around the cursor when I click.  i'll report back as I work a bit more, but it seems like things might be ok for now
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    ah good info @iadagraca, thanks! I could get to the control panels, just took a little doin' to get there. Your method works much faster :) going to try this update to see if it helps!

I mean the little shield thingie that pops up, and everything saying "you need to be an administrator.. blah blah blah." It's not really a big deal, minor nuisance and nothing to complain about :)

• moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    That update totally fixes the start menu btw. yay!
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    What was wrong with the Start menu ?
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @moose cool glad it did :D I beleive that update also makes major improvements to window snapping where windows resizing effects both windows.

@ZippZopp See what i told moose, there's pen settings in control panel that effect that. Also enabling or disabling windows ink in the wacom settings can have different effects. 
  • DoctorClot
    I am having no problems with Windows 10 apart from a memory crash error. Need to check if I have MSI afterburner installed or GPU-Z. Because from what I have heard those cause memory crash errors :\
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    @CreativeSheep scroll up a few posts, its there. essentially, everything was wrong - would stop working and cause task bar to stop working, and never fix itself. Update fixed it.

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message

I'm back on W8.1.

I was getting regular BlueScreen with nvlddmkm.sys, even with what iadagraca said. 

I didn't tried fresh W10 install yet, but I don't have time anymore to test it. So I will wait next couple months before I will try again.

BTW.

New post formatting is totally fucked up. What a mess this site became. And I was liking it so much :(

• Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Been on Windows 10 for about a week and have had 0 issues. I like it a lot. Feels great.
  • DRoss3d
    Offline / Send Message
    DRoss3d polycounter lvl 6
    I'm planning on upgrading today once my Samsung 850 Pro 512GB arrives today. I currently run Windows 7 Pro SP1. I avoided Windows 8 & 8.1 because I didn't like the tablet layout on a desktop. I'll let you know how everything goes. FYI I use Modo Indie, Substance Designer 5, Photoshop CS6 (64 bit), Substance Painter (1.6.1), and Marmoset Toolbag 2 (2.08). I'll let you all know how all of my programs work with Windows 10. 
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    MAJOR PSA!

Do not install sagethumb or similar programs! If you did and you have issues with apps crashing, the right click menu, and/or the icons on the taskbar. Sagethumbs is the problem.

I imagine some of us have it installed for thumbs on our psd files. 

here's a quote from a reddit post i made about this. 

For the longest time I've had image related issues in windows 10, the first i noticed was the task bar. For some reason the windows store apps pinned to the task bar were broken, displaying low res black and white icons or just white squares.

Then i also couldn't use the windows photo's app at all, multiple images would not display thumbs and several features seemed broken like auto adjusting pictures and some odd scaling issues where an image would stretch to fill the space.

I also had issues with the right click menu not loading properly which i thought was unrelated but seems to be because of icons that were loaded being glitchy.

Because of these problems i reset my pc, and while some were mitigated or mostly gone things like taskbar icons and the photo's app still didn't work properly. I thought windows was just still glitchy.

Today i decided to properly look it up online for a few hours cause I realized by now someone had to have a solution since many updates didn't fix it. I found sagethumbs might be the culprit based on a forum on neowin.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1266764-windows-10-taskbar-icons-look-awful/?page=1

which this solution worked for me after uninstalling sagethumb.

1. Uninstall any 3rd party shell extension that handles PNG image format (SageThumbs, Icaros, etc.)
    2. Run: cleanmgr.exe to clear your thumbnail cache
    3. Run: taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe (or restart the computer)

So i don't know if this was a well known problem but so far it has't been fixed and it's been this long post launch. After uninstalling a LOT of problems went away beyond what I listed above.

The taskbar issue was fixed by disabling png support in sage thumb but other problems persisted.

• Will_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Will_M polycounter lvl 4
    Idk the OS looks is kinda a turn off compared to Windows 7, but I may have to change for DX12 and maybe some visual styles will be made that make it look much better.
  • Frankie
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    Anyone have a really really slow install/upgrade that eventually broke? Tried for ages to upgrade so I could use more than the 16 gig of ram my windows 7 version is limiting me to but never managed to get it working.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie said:
    Anyone have a really really slow install/upgrade that eventually broke? Tried for ages to upgrade so I could use more than the 16 gig of ram my windows 7 version is limiting me to but never managed to get it working.
    I would just download the iso and install it that way. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  • Frankie
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    I tried, it was the same. I got into a menu somewhere and the mouse pointer was moving about 1fps. 
  • Mary_Marinez
    Yes, recently upgraded. And it is so much better than Windows 8. A new browser, improved security and a voice-activated intelligent assistant come within it as a package. The 'Start' menu with live tiles was a bit different to get used to though, but overall, I'm happy with it.
  • Technomancr
    Offline / Send Message
    Technomancr polycounter lvl 5
    I've upgrade to Windows 10 as well, and I have been running it successful for some time. I haven't run any serious tests on it yet, but it seems to be more performant than Windows 8, and with a UI that is more Windows friendly.

The only thing that concerns me is their new privacy policy: http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/17/9164153/windows-10-privacy-concerns
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Does anyone use or recommend onedrive? Last time I tried it, awhile ago, it did some undesirable things with the syncing so I'm a little hesitant.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg said:
    Does anyone use or recommend onedrive? Last time I tried it, awhile ago, it did some undesirable things with the syncing so I'm a little hesitant.
    Only thing that annoys me is that it took issue with syncing files with certain characters (related to a japanese game), an issue I've never had with dropbox. 

Beyond that it's great and well integrated. And if you have an office sub there's a bunch of benefits there too like xbox music and some other stuff. I don't know how well they advertise it, but i was trained on a bunch of stuff. 

EDIT: as for the privacy stuff unless people genuinely say it's worse than google i'm not concerned. 

• Technomancr
    Offline / Send Message
    Technomancr polycounter lvl 5
    Onedrive seems to be a clunky at best. After trying to use Onedrive (I had a free enterprise account with huge storage) for a couple of months, and experience syncing issues as well as annoying quirks in everyday use, I ended up giving up and paid for Dropbox subscription.