Home Technical Talk

Very Basic Humanoid Rigging for use in Unity3D

Cnc96
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Cnc96 polycounter lvl 4
Hi all, I'm working on a game for a University project and I need to include a rigged character to apply animation to. I've created the model and posed him into the T-Pose.

I am hoping that some of you will be able to help me rig the character if possible please? If you could provide sketches to show where bones would be placed and linked, that would be very useful please. I have attached 2 screen grabs of the model with this post.

Many thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Zitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zitch polycounter lvl 8
    What are you looking to do with the character? Will he be running around? Maybe grabbing a weapon and swinging it? If you could describe what kind of movements the character would be doing it would help figuring out where the bones would go. Do you maybe have a story board for the animation that you would be using the character for?
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    it's already a skeleton, why not break the arms and legs so there's lower/upper as well? after that is just a matter of arranging the hierarchy of the skeleton and naming them properly. For name and hierarchy reference you can grab one of Unity's sample characters.

if you absolutely have to have a rig under it, CAT or Biped should work nicely. Unity has added direct support for Biped naming convention recently.
    Basic skeleton has 
    Root
         Pelvis
         Spine1
              Spine2
                   Spine3
                        Neck
                             Head
                   L/R Shoulder
                         UpperArm
                              LowerArm
                                   Hand