Home General Discussion

New Image Editor with Native Normal Map Support

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
pixaeiro polycounter lvl 8
Hello,

I am developing a node based image editor with native support for normal maps and 3D texturing.

Some of the normal map features that I have implemented are:

- Convert rgb image to normal image.
- Convert grayscale or rgb bump map to normal images.
- Modify slant and direction of normals.
- Blending and Mixing of normal maps using angle mask.
- Rotation and resize of normal maps.
- 3D Viewport with albedo and normal support.

My goal is to have a complete suite of tools for the creation of consistent textures for 3D models.

If you are interested in beta testing this software and contributing with ideas, please download the current version at www.pixaflux.com.

Any suggestions, questions, or feedback is always welcome.

Thank you!

Replies

• DoctorClot
    This looks pretty awesome so far.

Suggestions -

- What I can see very beneficial to this is commenting nodes by selecting them with a marquee select and then pressing the "C" key on the keyboard. Then just typing to comment the node group.

Questions - 

- Do you have plans to make this PBR Compliant for game engines such as Unreal 4, Unity3D, etc.?
    So the ability to export Ambient Occlusion, Roughness, etc.
    - Can we import our own models and use their UV's in this?
    - What is the max resolution in this application? Is it hardware limited?

Either way Just curious,
    - DoctorClot
  • Chris Krüger
    NDO basically? Or are you taking this in another direction?
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message
    - What I can see very beneficial to this is commenting nodes by selecting them with a marquee select and then pressing the "C" key on the keyboard. Then just typing to comment the node group.
    This is a good idea, thanks.
    I also have plans to allow users to create node groups that look like a single node with inputs and outputs and few exposed attributes, but that can be expanded for low level editing.
    Something I will implement in the near future is support for multiple input-outputs for nodes like transform, resize, reframe, so a single node can be used to transform multiple images and keep them in sync.

DoctorClot said:
    - Do you have plans to make this PBR Compliant for game engines such as Unreal 4, Unity3D, etc.?
    Yes! I will add new texture channels to the 3D model node, one by one.

DoctorClot said:
    - Can we import our own models and use their UV's in this?
    Yes, the 3D model node already support custom 3D models in OBJ format. You can add more models to the viewport by loading them in the 3D model node.

DoctorClot said:
    - What is the max resolution in this application? Is it hardware limited?
    The largest I have tested is 8000x8000 images. There is a setting where you can set the largest image size. This to prevent crashes when a node creates a very large image (e.g. Transform scaleling a 512x512 image by 50x50)

Thanks for your comments!
  • pixaeiro
    Offline / Send Message

NDO basically? Or are you taking this in another direction?
    I don't have much experience with NDO, so I can't compare it to PixaFlux. I've seen some NDO videos, and I know that NDO is a Photoshop plug-in that uses smart objects to create normal maps.

PixaFlux is an image editor that uses a node graph. In PixaFlux, a single project can process images of different color modes and image sizes. Normal Images are supported natively by the application, so operations like flip, rotate and resize understand that they are editing a normal image, and affect the normals accordingly. I will add few more 'normal' nodes soon, to support more ways of creating and transforming normal images, but the main goal is to add support for the creation of many other texture types (roughness, metal, ao, etc), and features to keep all these channels and their inputs as consistent as possible.

Thank you.