Home Technical Talk

Choppy Maya Playback

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
AtomicToyRobot polycounter lvl 11

Hey guys,

I have a Maya technical question I was hoping someone might know the answer on how to fix it. I'm currently trying to work on my animation and the playback speed in the shot window is super choppy.

This wasn't really an issue in stepped mode but now that I've moved on to spline its causing a lot of issues for me. If anyone knows what settings I'd need to mess around with I'd appreciate the assistance. Much thanks.

I'm running Maya 2014

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    What are your system specs? There are a couple of things that could cause the problem.

1. Too many objects in the viewport. Try hiding a few things. Put unkeyable parts of the rig in a layer and hide the layer.
    2. Your character rig has an error, that's causing the playback to hitch. Try opening the original rig file and see if playback is slow there as well. You could have accidentally deleted an object.

Also try doing the usual:
    Delete Non-Deformer History
    File > Optimize File Size
  • AtomicToyRobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtomicToyRobot polycounter lvl 11
    Monster thanks for the response. 

My Specs are: 
    16 gig ram
    i7-2600k CPU
    64 bit OS Win 10
    NVidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti
    Gigabyte z68xp-ud3 mother board.

As far as the scene is set up I have two rig both provided by Animation Mentor and two props. Most of the environment is hidden. 
    I'll try opening up the original file and seeing how that play back is, but I know with Maya 2015 I haven't had this issue.