Home Technical Talk

Weird issue with normal map.

DanielLuna
null
Hi everyone. 
This is the first time I am having a weird issue when baking a normal map (well, with the result of baking, I mean) and I am going crazy trying to figure out what can be causing it. 
Here is an image so I can explain myself better.
The problem is that the inner edge of the polygons are making "artifacts" in the low poly that are being baked in the normal map too (I don´t even know how to explain this).
The whole low poly model has one smoothing group only. Does it have anything to do with the problem?
How can I avoid that weird behavoiur of the shader in the low poly? This is the first time that the inner edges of a low poly are so noticeable (for me, at least). 
I would thank any help a lot!!
BTW: Can someone explain me how to deal with smoothing groups for baking? What's the exact rule? I read you should have a hard edge in every seam in the uvs, I also read that for better results you should have just a smoothing group for the whole model... I don't know what's the exact rule for this.

Thanks a lot in advance. 

Replies

• echofourpapa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    echofourpapa polycounter lvl 4
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's from not having your normal maps synced with your target engine (or display port). It can also be from triangulation being handled differently in the baking software and what application you are using the normal map in. 

Are you going to be using this model with a particular game engine? 
  • DanielLuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielLuna null
    I am baking in 3ds Max and using it in 3ds Max. The baking software and the target is the same.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    There are 2 major rules you need to follow when setting up smoothing groups for baking normal maps.

#1)  Set each UV island to its own smoothing group
    #2)  If later you decide to add a smoothing split (a common decision if you find edges too harsh for your normal map to bake as one UV island), you must also make a UV split along the same edge and move the shells away from each other in UV space.  Then make sure you follow rule #1 again.

Your problem might be due to using single smoothing group for that entire shape.  You will want to break them around 90 degree corners for the most part.
  • DanielLuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielLuna null
    Thanks a lot to both of you for your help. I tried what you suggested but the problem persists. Still, good advices and for sure I will apply them from now on. Any other idea to solve this problem I am having?
    Thanks in advance. 
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Export and bake in xnormal, see if it looks much different.