Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student Portfolio Critique

Hi guys, I am looking for some feedback on my current portfolio. I am mainly focusing on level design and narrative but would love some pointers for general games design. Thanks!!

http://tomhughes94.wix.com/tomhughesleveldesign

Replies

• RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    The general mood here is that you should not use Wix as a site to host your portfolio. It is often over bloated with features that are not needed that make it slow. For a good free alternative try Artstation.

https://www.artstation.com/

• Tom2409
    Thanks, will Artstation actually be useful for a level design point of view, or just for an artist side? Just as I have never used it before.

Thanks again.
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Artstation is great for any type of game development portfolio and has a great community. I personally use Dunked for my main portfolio and use Artstation as a separate source for my content. 

http://dunked.com/
  • ozzy310
    Offline / Send Message
    ozzy310 polycounter lvl 8
    I use carbonmade.com

Its free and fast with a small modest logo of the company on the corner. Downside it doesn't have many features, but since its for a portfolio it has enough to make a proper site to display your work. 
  • Tom2409
    Thanks guys! I shall put some of my stuff up on Artstation then! Get as much out there as possible, what did you think about the content?
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Wix is slow but it has clearly the most freedom from all builders i tried and that were many.
    Still id likely recommend carbonmade as it always looks good no matter how hard you mess up

Do you want to do level design or environment art ? those are very different things. Environment art is making an environment with 3d assets and everything, this is art. Level design is leading the player and making blockouts and a part of game design, no art, 'no' 3d modeling.

The content is good for a game student that started his education / to become accepted at a school. It is nice that you can make things work, but it dosnt look good.

If you want to do environment art, then you should model some things in 3d programs and show them here. Important is that you model a
    lot, watch a lot of tutorials and model real things with a real reference. If you want to do level design, then get your CSGO and unreal tournament mapmaking running and build levels and test with their props, and learn those game engines. Still there are not many leveldesign jobs but anything is possible.
  • BILDOMIKFAGINS
    HI, GUYS I AM LOOKING FOR A PORTFOLIO FEED BACK TOO.  Pleas don't hold back give me all the bad review u got and a solution if necessary.

11868.hosts.ma-cloud.nl
  • artbychien
    Offline / Send Message
    artbychien polycounter lvl 8
    @Shrike I totally agree with you, carbonmade is simple and always looks good. I personally use carbonmade too, but I think squarespace works very good as well. 

Your portfolio function doesn't work well to me, especially the home page. When I click the tnumbnail of the portfolio section, nothing shows up. I expect I could see bigger screen shots of your environment. And I could not tell it is a level designer portfolio or not, it looks more like an environment artist's portfolio since your folio doesn't include some game design, environment blockouts, your concepts etc.

• artbychien
    Offline / Send Message
    artbychien polycounter lvl 8
    @BILDOMIKFAGINS I thought it would be better if you create your own thread.
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, Artstation has a wonderful community. I find it a great place to look for concept artists (from a 3D Artist perspective) as I have asked permission to use artwork of theirs, in which they've been more than happy.

On the discussion of creating a portfolio website, would you guys think creating something as simple as Carbonmade, or use a free version of say Wordpress (despite the ad at the bottom) and customise a decent website with a blog etc.

What's your take on that?

Peace,
    Beardy x
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    @Beard3D Bandit 
    Personally I would advise making your portfolio yourself because there is so much flexibility possible with the website and you can have your own URL. I think I pay £6 a year for hosting and £6 a year for my domain name. 
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    ROBEOMEGA 

Yeah! That's basically what I thought :D Thanks for the quick reply 
  • Tom2409
    ARTBYCHIEN Thanks for the feedback. What exactly is happening when you click the portfolio thumbnail? And Thanks I will put up my level maps and concepts as well as blueprints I have used. Wasn't sure whether to show these or not but thanks I will now :)