Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A Beginners Leap into Zbrush. (Looking for Feedback)

Hey polycount,

I have decided to bite the bullet and jump into Zbrush, oh man. I have been a hobby modeler in 3ds Max for around two years now and I decided now is the time to get on Zbrush. I made this first creature in about an hour or so. I pretty much just stuck with the Clay Buildup tool and the Move tool. I also used the Dynamesh tool when I needed more polys to work with. 

Any tips or tricks with pushing details and general workflow in Zbrush would be very helpful. At some point when I am comfortable with what I can do in Zbrush I will start exporting sculpts to Max. From there I plan to rig and place them in an engine, most likely UE4. So any advice for the workflow from zbrush to max to in engine would be amazing to hear.

Thanks for your time :)

Replies

• sharsein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sharsein polycounter lvl 9
    I would bring what you have into a 2d program and draw your design over it. Figure out what your large volumes are and plan how the muscles fit together. Then use zremesh to lower the polycount back down and build up those volumes you planned out.
  • kevinjohnxson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kevinjohnxson polycounter lvl 2
    Maybe while first getting the hang of Zbrush, start with a 2D concept. It doesn't necessarily have to be your own concept.  Start small, work on busts of characters to really get the hang of the software. As you build your skills you can move on to things that are more complex.
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
    I feel like you're a bit anxious to jump into detail without completing the general form first. You should play around with lower SubD levels and experiment with the form until it looks right. And you can look at other examples and see how their silhouettes look, especially relating to limbs and joints. Then you can easily work on small details and such.
  • Turnip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback so far :). You guys nailed that I wasn't working off concept, which I will do from now on. I defiantly agree that I jumped into detailing without really looking at the overall silhouette. I'm going to push myself to work at a lower SubD with a bigger brush in the starting phase on the sculpt so I can really get that strong silhouette.

Thanks for the feedback so far