Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Hand Painted Pigeon

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Nolt polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys I am currently working on this low poly pigeon for a mobile game demo and trying to improve the painted style for the game. If any of you guys could give me some critique, advice, or anything to help with hand painting small (512x512 or 256x256) textures, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!
(yes I know I need to fix seams :P)

pigeon_wip1_by_9thknight-d9bnwaf.jpg

Replies

• Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Worked on getting some of the seams covered and working with little bit of contour shadowing. Think he's getting close so I can get him rigged and animated.

pigeon_wip2_by_9thknight-d9c10nj.jpg
  • Tul_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tul_ polycounter lvl 9
    d88e1a1f721757a618b0408138d32e56.png

Hey man, really dig how it turned out.

The advice i'd give you is to generally avoid that really bright outline on the feathers and try to blend it more with the normal color. And you should probably add some random feathers here and there just to break the monotony. And don't shy away from using black where 2 materials intersect (feathers, skin) (eyes, feathers) etc.
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    @Tul_ Awesome! Appreciate the help! I don't have too much practice with the handpainted style so anything helps. I will try blending those highlights and bit and define the difference in materials a bit more. Thanks!