polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
JonConley polycounter lvl 14
Finished:
qceUpGT.png

dBl2noJ.png

Concept:
FSPG00i.jpg

I put my dinosaur on hold so that I could learn to hand paint the textures. The other day Udemy had some tutorials on sale so I bought up all of the hand painted and mobile ones they had. Started watching the Tyson Murphy hand painted tutorial and this is where I currently am:

5XtJYJ3.png

q34wMzn.png

zVYcNMf.png

Replies

• Saint Sloth
    That looks pretty nice. My only suggestion would be to add a bit more texture into parts of it, but with how it's painted now, it clearly and interestingly does it's job.
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    @saintsloth, thanks for the crits and encouragement.
    Grabbed a little bit of time today and started working some more details in the blade. I am not so sure how I feel about some of the stuff, the scratches seem a little too deep and the little divets may not work overly well here.

ctdDJ3G.png
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Found some more time before bed. Some more detail work. I like what the top of the blade guard is doing, so I will have to duplicate that going down.

MUaZOj2.png
  • Nolt
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Looks nice :). The only thing that stands out to me is it feels like the colors could be more saturated. BUT that depends on the style you're going for I guess. Also maybe a bit more contrast and edge definition. Keep it up!
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    @peanuteng, I'd go back and try to get some painterly feeling strokes in there, right now it looks like a gradient + noise + dark strokes with photoshop emboss over them.

@9thknight Yeah, I could see that depending on the style.

Calling it a night and will do a little GI tomorrow night and then will call it finished.
    XAm5c0R.png
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Little color bleed and then sharpened it up a bit while adding in a little more contrast. Calling it finished for now

qceUpGT.png
  • Tre Z
    Offline / Send Message
    Tre Z polycounter lvl 6
    This came out awesome, great work man!
  • JonConley
    Offline / Send Message
    Tre Z, thank you. I'm pretty happy with it. A friend of mine has told me to up the saturation a bit and do another highlight pass. So I may revisit and do that, and potentially add a couple scratches to the bronze areas.
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I think it looks really good, the blade doesn't look quite like metal though. it looks rough and textured like stone. here's some examples for ya.
    8ef3fc223d870a627ce8ffd1f6651e46-d60bp2k.png
    HandPaintedAxe1_rc4.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    In my opinion the hand painted tutorial is a great resource but its extremely stylized and the materials (especially the metal blade) don't read that well. I think that's really the intent since its stylized but I've never seen metal with large cuts in it like that or those large round spots either. That said, I think you are doing a good job, but the best thing you can do is treat this as a learning process and try to make your texture an exact duplicate of the tutorials. So I would focus on adding more color variation, contrast, and hitting those highlights and shadows more aggressively. I wouldn't call it done just yet, you seem to be focusing a lot on small details, but the general lighting, spec and color still needs a lot of love. Good luck man!