polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
JonConley polycounter lvl 8
Finished:
qceUpGT.png

dBl2noJ.png

Concept:
FSPG00i.jpg

I put my dinosaur on hold so that I could learn to hand paint the textures. The other day Udemy had some tutorials on sale so I bought up all of the hand painted and mobile ones they had. Started watching the Tyson Murphy hand painted tutorial and this is where I currently am:

5XtJYJ3.png

q34wMzn.png

zVYcNMf.png

Replies

• Saint Sloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks pretty nice. My only suggestion would be to add a bit more texture into parts of it, but with how it's painted now, it clearly and interestingly does it's job.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @saintsloth, thanks for the crits and encouragement.
    Grabbed a little bit of time today and started working some more details in the blade. I am not so sure how I feel about some of the stuff, the scratches seem a little too deep and the little divets may not work overly well here.

ctdDJ3G.png
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found some more time before bed. Some more detail work. I like what the top of the blade guard is doing, so I will have to duplicate that going down.

MUaZOj2.png
  • peanutheng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanutheng vertex
    Great work! I love how stylized it looks! Really interesting! Looks import ready already!
    I'm just starting out so I've also recently started tried to handpaint my own textures! It's for my instagram profile! It's nothing much but here it is!
    [SKETCHFAB]0484eb66e0d5493281a9f61067bc0785[/SKETCHFAB]

Here is my Insta: https://instagram.com/evolcilegna/
    Check out how i used the bridge for my concept!
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Looks nice :). The only thing that stands out to me is it feels like the colors could be more saturated. BUT that depends on the style you're going for I guess. Also maybe a bit more contrast and edge definition. Keep it up!
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @peanuteng, I'd go back and try to get some painterly feeling strokes in there, right now it looks like a gradient + noise + dark strokes with photoshop emboss over them.

@9thknight Yeah, I could see that depending on the style.

Calling it a night and will do a little GI tomorrow night and then will call it finished.
    XAm5c0R.png
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little color bleed and then sharpened it up a bit while adding in a little more contrast. Calling it finished for now

qceUpGT.png
  • Tre Z
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tre Z polycounter lvl 6
    This came out awesome, great work man!
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tre Z, thank you. I'm pretty happy with it. A friend of mine has told me to up the saturation a bit and do another highlight pass. So I may revisit and do that, and potentially add a couple scratches to the bronze areas.
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I think it looks really good, the blade doesn't look quite like metal though. it looks rough and textured like stone. here's some examples for ya.
    8ef3fc223d870a627ce8ffd1f6651e46-d60bp2k.png
    HandPaintedAxe1_rc4.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    In my opinion the hand painted tutorial is a great resource but its extremely stylized and the materials (especially the metal blade) don't read that well. I think that's really the intent since its stylized but I've never seen metal with large cuts in it like that or those large round spots either. That said, I think you are doing a good job, but the best thing you can do is treat this as a learning process and try to make your texture an exact duplicate of the tutorials. So I would focus on adding more color variation, contrast, and hitting those highlights and shadows more aggressively. I wouldn't call it done just yet, you seem to be focusing a lot on small details, but the general lighting, spec and color still needs a lot of love. Good luck man!