Home Technical Talk

Vertex colors vs. Texture map

armagon
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
armagon polycounter lvl 11
I've been learning a lot and trying to make structures similar to these: https://d2ujflorbtfzji.cloudfront.net/package-screenshot/1ec12fd6-f495-4fb3-81f3-701f3e346a10_scaled.jpg

However, i'm not sure if they are using texture maps or vertex colors. Which technique would be ideal for games? I've read that not all engines support vertex colors, but isn't that a basic feature for OBJ models?

Replies

• leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    UVing a small texture(or a small area of a single, larger texture) would be much easier. In order to use vertex colors like that, you'd have to split up every single model that will use a different color, or add support edges everywhere, otherwise the colors will blend between the vertices.
  • antweiler
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    If you can apply your vertexcolor to what Maya calls vertex-face, the colors dont blend.
    Vertexcolor can be saved or baked into maps, and can be applied easily.
    I did something similar in the past, and used vertexcolor to add variation to already textures roofs.The engine didnt support vertexcolor, so i added it to the (mental ray baked) lightmap.
  • Michael Knubben
    Yeah, look into face colours! Max has the same thing, as does Blender. I'd be surprised if Modo/XSI/etc. can't do face colours. The only 'issue' being that it creates double vertices at the borders, but given how much less demanding vertex colour is than textures, depending on platform that might be worth it.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Smoothing group splits create vertex splits anyway, so you're losing nothing on those edges.