Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Yes...Another Corridor..

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
I've never actually done one of these though. I think everyone has to have done at least one right? :D  Anyways, I managed to scoop up Substance Designer during the summer sale and decided to give it a test run with a new environment for my portfolio.

COMPLETE:

________________________________________________________________________________

These are the main references I'm using. I have others but mostly for inspiration/mood.
H9lEcMsjpg

Started by blocking out all the modular pieces in 3ds Max.
ad46a62bbapng

I then went on to start texturing the walls. I figured once I get most of the materials set for one of the modular pieces, I can easily apply them to the rest. Normals created in NDO. Textures in SD
bd31c6f993png

Crits and critique always welcome. Thanks!!! :D

Replies

• DanielR17
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Scizz!
    Good start.
    I also like corridors:) They're visually engaging and not too much time consuming. A good motivation booster!

Not much to say on your work for now. Keep going!
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Nice work, the metal uprights are to noisy and will scintillate in a games engine once some camera movement goes past it.

Well done for showing the break down of the modular pieces. Keep it up! :)

c2c75d70c42cd56c82fdb3e077282abb.png
  • DanielR17
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    What do you think about Substance Designer?
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    It's amazing! I've used it in the past but only briefly. But after improving my skills and my general understanding of things, sooo much more fun. A HUGE thank you to the guys at Allegorithmic, especially to Wes for those AAA tutorials on the youtube channel. I sit back and watch those like I'm watching a movie. Plus I'm extremely familiar with the node based system. The first time I messed with anything game art related was watching 3dBuzz's(Zach Parrish?) Intro to UDk Tutorials and a learned from the material editor within UDK. :D

Small Update: Just modeled, unwrapped and baked the light fixtures tonight. Going into NDO and Substance for texturing. Getting them out of the way so I can set the mood for lighting.
    a112f49e22.png
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Small update: Added the lights and I'm trying to set the mood to sort of match the lighting in the reference. Even if I make the lights real bright, its doesn't bounce around to fill the top. It's still completely black. I'm using spotlights.
    d578d6ce3f.png
    9b8c324132.png
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    @littleclaude Don't worry. I do plan on changing the vents of the walls to avoid that. Just want to get the modular pieces done first. Thanks for the tip! :D
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Update: I'm continuing to add in the modular pieces. I also got the lighting a little closer to the concept, and just looking better in general.

Last Current Progress Pic
    2bbd0c71a1.png

NOW
    7d64789081.jpg
    dcb7af814a.jpg
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good progress!
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    hey, going good.

i think you need way more noise though, your stuff just looks too clean. you already have dirty spots, so i gues you are not going for the clean look.
    just adding some generic noise to the gloss can on all the metal plates can add a lot to your general look. not too much, but subtly so that there is always something happening, even on the flat surfaces.

look at your reference, every surface has some minor variation on it that make it look like it has been in use for some time. be it the horizontal scratches on the wallpanels, or the diffuse dirtwobbles on the floorpanels.
    signs of leakage also almost always look awesome, and some rust in the corners.

also your scratches on the corners are a bit too uniform, just vary them up a bit so it doessnt look like a straight fuzzy line. that would be typical for things that are realy heavily used like guns.
    for environment stuff where there is just occasionaly someone passing by i'd keep the scratches less uniform and a bit less intense.
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Offline / Send Message
    ScrotieFlapWack polycounter lvl 5
    This is looking brilliant. I have always wanted to try out a sci fi corridor but never got round to it. May give it a shot after seeing this :D
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    @Goeddy Thanks for the feedback! Once I get a lot of the "stuff" in, I'm gonna go back and fine tune all my materials. Substance Designer makes it so easy to reiterate at any point in the process :D

@Ged Thanks!!

@ScrotieFlapWack Thank you! Yeah I was the same as you. Then one day just said screw it, here I go! :D

Update: Finished all the modular pieces. I think I'm gonna work on the door at the end of the hallway now. I'm aware of the repeated logos on the pillars on the sides. I'm going to switch them up near the end when I'm fine tuning. :D

8586c36734.jpg
    3332067ce3.jpg
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    great concept i like it
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    good progress
    looking forward to this
  • KingKellogg
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    Dang man, looking good.
  • Bart Spellson
    Offline / Send Message
    Bart Spellson polycounter lvl 5
    This is looking good, nice job.
  • X-One
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    This is coming along nicely. Looking forward to the lighting pass.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Finished a door to cap out the hallway, and made the side panels alternate like in the concept. I also added monitors above the doors that I plan on having display something, if it works out. :D

0296608e78.jpg
    2e8cf9c5c1.jpg
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    nice job so far
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Small Update:

Dove into After Effects a little something to display on the screens. Still trying to figure out how to get the video to display properly, but I'm close.

I've decided this place is going to be some sort of sci-fi weapons research/manufacturing facility. Modeled a sword from the anime "God Arc" and used it's wire frame for the weapon display. The main purpose of the model was just to have the wire frame, so the model isn't 100%. I might go back and actually make a low-poly and texture it later.

8ede5903e6.jpg
    c42bef3101.jpg
    BoringSimplisticAfricanhornbill.gif
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Back from a long unnecessary break and still going to finish this project before moving on to my next one. Small-ish update. Re-did the lighting and post process, and added fog. Finished the computer screens and holograms which are animated on a plane with panning and rotating textures.

I plan on adding some cables like in the reference images, and a few more props to fill the scene. Maybe a keypad or retina scanner on the doors. Security cameras etc.

• FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Been coming here for years, seen a lot of corridors. And that's a damned nice corridor.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I'm considering this piece complete! I know I can add more, and I learned a lot from this project, and I'm excited to start my next one! Things I learned include the Substance Designer/Painter workflow, animated materials, proper use of sphere reflection actors, some small blueprint work, better understand of how important silhouette and composition are, the list goes on. Although not fully demonstrated in this project, I hope to carry what I've learned over to the next one! Thanks to everyone involved who helped and critiqued!

P.S Video coming soon, I like making them. :smiley: