Home Technical Talk

Zbrush my second sculpt need some assistance

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
AllinRisks polycounter lvl 2
Hi, This is a 2 days work on a helmet i did without any reference image in Zbrush. And as the title says its my second sculpt. Am asking for some assistance to make this sculpture be great. Whats missing and what needs to be done? As for now it just feels like I'm spending time details. I'm working in almost 1 M points in Zbrush, maybe I should divide and refine details more?

And a second question; What is the best way of getting straight lines in the hard surface modeling? Using hPolish and pinch, but it makes the lines go almost in a wave form..

Replies

• aharmlesspie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using lazy mouse and increasing roll distance will help you make straighter lines in zbrush. As for the sculpt, just keep sculpting! I recommend finding some reference to sculpt from, and over time as you sculpt more and more things you'll get better at coming up with your own ideas.
  • AllinRisks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using lazy mouse and increasing roll distance will help you make straighter lines in zbrush. As for the sculpt, just keep sculpting! I recommend finding some reference to sculpt from, and over time as you sculpt more and more things you'll get better at coming up with your own ideas.

Yeah Now that you mention it I have heard about lazy mouse :) thanks will look it up! Yeah your right I will gather some reference images specially for the details :) I'm happy about the primary shape
  • CharacterCarl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharacterCarl greentooth
    Don't get lost in the details, especially in the beginning. You'll have a hard time changing things when you need to. Not just performance-wise. ;)
    If you really need the resolution and know you're not going to re-dynamesh the sculpt you can also add subdivisions.
    Get reference, not just for details but also for general form/silhouette. Think about what it is going to be used for and what a helmet in general needs: Things like opening/closing mechanism, buckles, what kind of visor, maybe respirators, etc.

Artists, like Vitaly Bulgarov, sometimes have really nice high resolution close-ups of their portfolio pieces up, which you can use as inspiration/reference for details and functional(-looking) parts: http://bulgarov.com/u_stiffneck.html
  • AllinRisks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't get lost in the details, especially in the beginning. You'll have a hard time changing things when you need to. Not just performance-wise. ;)
    If you really need the resolution and know you're not going to re-dynamesh the sculpt you can also add subdivisions.
    Get reference, not just for details but also for general form/silhouette. Think about what it is going to be used for and what a helmet in general needs: Things like opening/closing mechanism, buckles, what kind of visor, maybe respirators, etc.

Artists, like Vitaly Bulgarov, sometimes have really nice high resolution close-ups of their portfolio pieces up, which you can use as inspiration/reference for details and functional(-looking) parts: http://bulgarov.com/u_stiffneck.html

Yeah I have heard about that. I tried to stay out of details as much as I could. But then again it's hard :) but when do I know when it's not time to redynamesh?
    I did it one or twice when I saw that I needed a higher resolution. Later I wanted to change a shape, I went to the lower subdivision and did my thing,when I dynameshed the resolution dropped again. So it felt like I did not have control and detail/time was lost.
    Yeah thanks for the inspiration, beautiful art :) do you think the shape is OK for my sculpt, I'm referring to your sentence regarding reference for shapes.

Thanks for the answers!
  • Eric Chadwick
  • AllinRisks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Yes sure is! :) was watching it as I was continuing on the model. (not gone through the hole thing though)

New question - if I want to continue build up the hole body (space suit) can I just drag out material in conjunction with dynamesh or is there an other/better way?