Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Weekly Substance Challenge

Replies

• luthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    @bradhb3d Thanks for all the insight and form breakdown. Your work is inspiring as always :). Are you thinking of adding in any debris to your sand? Or were you going to keep it as more clean soft forms?
  • bradhb3d
    Offline / Send Message
    bradhb3d polycounter lvl 8
    @eedobaba7726, an inverted plasma

@luthyn, yes for debris! stones, sticks, clumps and things!
  • Stavaas
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Had another crack at some wood. I think the gaps between the planks are way too dark, but other than that I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out!

KBY3itk.png
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    MattyWS polycounter lvl 11
    bradhb3d wrote: »
    @MattyWS, I'm starting to love Marmoset. I've been very late to adopt, and while it may not be perfect, I'm finding that it's very flexible and fast. I love it. As far as reference goes... I guess I'm just used to riffing off the reference provided, and doing whatever I think it visually interesting. I'm just having fun with form and rhythm.

@Stavaas, That will actually be tough since I'm creating and using lots of my own nodes.. so I have a deep network of dependencies. However, I'll be working on some mini tuts and examples as I go along in the challenges. There might be some more in-depth videos in the future too if I can carve out the time :poly121:

@Tzur_H, While I do have some tricks and some nodes that I've made for certain effects.. the most important thing is good breakdown of form. I Substance like I sculpt. I isolate, abstract and combine multiple frequencies of forms. This way, some things are flexible and interchangeable as well.

Example breakdown and combination of forms

bradford-smith-substance-sand-01-wip-layer-breakdown.gif

@jorymos, thanks!
    Thanks for the breakdown! I'm curious as to how you're normalizing heightmaps, have you done it manually or created your own node to do it?
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Edit: Never mind epic fail on my part.
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    I personally use the Normalise node
    Well you have a node that I dont, because I only seem to have a Normal normalize, no heightmap normalize. :(

06.png
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    MattyWS wrote: »
    Well you have a node that I dont, because I only seem to have a Normal normalize, no heightmap normalize. :(

06.png

WHOOPS!

Sorry epic fail on my part it is just called "normal" just type that in search or find it at the top.

UATFhKs.png
  • bradhb3d
    Offline / Send Message
    You can either manually or auto level using a LEVELS node, or you can use the AUTO LEVELS node
  • MattyWS
    Offline / Send Message
    bradhb3d wrote: »
    You can either manually or auto level using a LEVELS node, or you can use the AUTO LEVELS node
    I did not realise there is an auto levels node! Thanks for pointing that out!
  • bradhb3d
    Offline / Send Message
    I used avoid using the Auto Levels entirely since it can be expensive. I like to limit myself to one per material now. Also, you'll almost always want HIGH quality set on that. Low quality will introduce artifacts into your height map and result in banding in the normal map.
    I wish that I could replicate that node with the pixel processor, but at the moment I don't think you can.
  • luthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    A quick WIP of where I'm at so far:

A11z8Jw.png

Still have a lot to do but were getting there.
  • Stavaas
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Those seashells look really great man! I think I'd want to get more waves into the sand, but other than that it's looking good!
  • Micaki
    Offline / Send Message
    Micaki polycounter lvl 3
    I really need to get back to substance challenge bradhb3d if you are going to explain how you achived such nice results then i owe you a crate of beer :P
    Stavaas awesome material too
  • Tejay
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Alrighty, this week we go with asphalt. Keep those awesome sands coming though!
  • tigerheart
    Offline / Send Message
    tigerheart polycounter lvl 9
    arf, still struggling with my sand. bradhb3d's and eedobaba772's where so cool, i had a hard time figuring out a way to start :/ Luthin's shader is cool too, how did you manage the integration of rock and stuff?
  • Synyster
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome work everyone! I've been meaning to try out substance designer for the longest time and after seeing this thread I just had to give it a go!

I'm still really new to this, but I'm already falling in love with this program. Here's my first pass on the sand.

20798701875_988faaa844_o.png
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Just letting you all know shared this thread in my Environment Art blog stuff is great here keep up the great work! https://environmentart.wordpress.com/

Thanks Tejay for making this happen it is a great thing starting up for the community :) Ill try not to lurk too much and get substancing with you all :)
  • jorymos
    Offline / Send Message
    jorymos polycounter lvl 10
    Inspiring work everyone! Hope I'm not late for the party :D

Here's my first pass on the sand week :)

20618608030_e9f79d87d2_b.jpg
  • tigerheart
    Offline / Send Message
    how did you manage so much volume while mine seems so flat?
    sand.png
  • jorymos
    Offline / Send Message
    normalize your height like auto levels node before connecting it to your normal
  • jorymos
    Offline / Send Message
    having a go at asphalt, here's my first pass :)
    20192001583_81f84c001c_b.jpg
  • Tejay
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Bradh3d: Is there anywhere I can read up on optimisation of substances? I've only really been guessing at this point and it seems like an important thing to know for professional use.

Luthyn: Those shells look great. Can't wait to see the finished substance!

Tigerheart: Simple answer masks. Long answer is they are using masking to alter the colours, roughness and normals. For the normals you use like a normal blend instead of a normal combine. Although some people do it all in the basic height map used to generate the normals. I dont know any tutorials I can link sadly but have a good play around, look at some sbs files, maybe you'll get the gist. As for height in your normal, i know using the straight normal node doesn't always give me the push I want on my normals, sometimes i like to use the height to normal node. People may also be using height maps on their renders to give it that extra push (I know I do).

Rogelio: Thanks for plugging the challenge! I feel a little unworthy of the praise, it some random idea i had in the middle of the night but I'm glad everyone is enjoying themselves so much. I had no idea if this challenge would make it past a couple of weeks before people lose interest but it seems to be more people are joining in! Watching all this come alive has been a reward in itself. Also I can't wait to see you're contributions!
  • jorymos
  • bradhb3d
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tejay, Jorymos' link is the really the only technical tips out there that I'm aware of. As far as how efficiency effects my work... I just use the node timings display to gauge relative cost, and I really only start to care if my workflow slows down at a reasonable resolution. For instance, in some cases I've seen a single grayscale grunge generator take just as long or longer to generate than an entire multi-channel material. In that instance, I would try to find a much cheaper replacement for that grayscale grunge.
  • ed_3D
    Hey all, had some spare time so I did a first pass on asphalt for this week :)

ao7VUwr.jpg
    LA56wav.jpg
    wK6buG4.jpg
  • tigerheart
    Offline / Send Message
    I already made one of these road like substance, but i thought there might be some improvement to add: road.png
    Also, it seems that at some point i did get how to use the "height to normal node", since i found it ine the road substance... So i also updated my sand substance with that :
    sand2.png
    Not many people have done the sand substance, since i thought it was a tough one, i'll share mine if people want to check : SBS
  • agentc0re
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    Synyster wrote: »
    Awesome work everyone! I've been meaning to try out substance designer for the longest time and after seeing this thread I just had to give it a go!

I'm still really new to this, but I'm already falling in love with this program. Here's my first pass on the sand.

20798701875_988faaa844_o.png

@Synyster Would you mind offering your sand substance as a .sbs download. I'd love to learn how you did what you did. :D

Also, i'm extremely new here. Been trying to catch up on all the challenges. I'll post my crapy work as soon as i catch up.
  • Dobbler
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
    jorymos wrote: »
    having a go at asphalt, here's my first pass :)

That texture is looking killer so far! Reminds me of the little cracked patch of asphalt by my house that always make this creepy rattling sound when I ride over it on my bike :poly136:

Only thing I could say is the yellow stripe seems like it should be smoother to show it's a thick layer of paint sitting on top of a rough surface, like this:
    old-asphalt-road-cracked-pattern-14639944.jpg
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    What a damn sexy thread ! :D

Here is my contribution :

1440637901-final-render.png

Wanted to do more texture but some of them are in an environment Project I'm currently working on,so might just wait to get it done and publish the textures :)
  • Soldeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    @Fansub Really digging the asfalt material, but not so much on the paint, I'd switch the zig zagging pattern and use some scratches noise or even a Clouds node with levels tweak to make it sharper. Right now the zig zag it's too noticeable imho!.

How do you guys work around showcasing your substances? I can't find a good approach to show my textures, I'm working on a muddy ground and I need a height map, how should I do it? Dump a 10kpolygon plane on marmoset so it displaces well? Thx in advance!

Regarding that last '10kpolygon' dumb thing... I just found marmoset has tessellation too, WHAT A DAY! XD
  • bradhb3d
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fansub, looking great! the only think I might add is some medium size stone / aggregate in some of the cracks. It look a bit to smooth without it. Great work though! The cracks have interesting rhythm without feeling too artificial.

@Soldeus, Marmoset is the way to go for sure, at least until the Substance Designer I-Ray integration is complete that is :)
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    @Soldeus The zig zag pattern is actually an ettempt to make the dash line more interesting :) might want to change it's look a bit tho.

@Bradhb3d Thanks for the crits ! Quickly built some rocks and moss passes on top of the previous render,with a few adjustments on the Albedo and Normal :

1440702361-final-render-2.png
  • Secret Squirrel
    Offline / Send Message
    Secret Squirrel polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys this one of the few times I have posted. I really wanna say great job to everyone on their substances. I was wondering if I could get some help on coming up with the Diffuse/Albedo for the Asphalt. I am having a Little trouble in that area.
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    Alright.. so here's my result (took way too long). Asphalt is like my worst enemy.. everytime I give it a try it's giving me a headache.
    1g91EiT.jpgcXtOUFc.jpg
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys! Just wanted to take a stab at this awesome looking challenge, as I've fallen madly, deeply in love with substance over the last year.

MWKdYaE.jpg

rhYJ7pl.jpg

XxwHAGj.jpg

I tried to put a really intense focus on matching the reference images given. I started with week 3 as that one was the most intimidating, but I'll be posting my progress as I work through the remainder until I'm caught up!

As always, C'n'C is more than welcome.
  • Bart Spellson
    Offline / Send Message
    Bart Spellson polycounter lvl 5
    Hello guys, I'm a bit late but I'm joining this really cool thread ! I'm completely a newbie on substance designer so I attempt to make a sandy wet beach =)

hLBF2z0.jpgFfBlWIK.jpg
  • agentc0re
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    Hello everyone! I'm just joining and have all the weeks up to the current finally finished. I'll be attaching my .SBS files as well for anyone who wants to learn from what I did. I also had issues with some of my .SBSAR files importing properly into Marmoset, maybe someone else could take a look. More on that below.

Week 1 - Concrete
    Well I experimented with a bunch of stuff. I worked on this one the most because i was without internet during it's time and couldn't look up what the new weeks challenges were
    86jxHFP.png
    bn4whXY.png
    J7eVBkT.png

Week 2 - Copper
    I struggled with the rivets the most. Couldn't quite get them the right color or overall shape. Also couldn't get the patina around them, so i gave up after that.
    94xcjsh.png

Week 3 - Wood
    This is by far my favorite. Took one shot at it and LOVED what came out.
    5vZaoQK.png

Week 4 - Fabric
    I struggled with trying to put creases in the fabric but other than that i was pleased how it came out....for the most part. :D
    xMFh6Kh.png

Week 5 - Sand
    Struggled with this one quite a bit. My end result looks alright but I really wanted to get that soft sand look that @Synyster did with his. Still hope he sees my request for his .sbs. :D:D Would love to learn from it.
    1RPMCG7.png

Week 6 - Asphalt
    This is where i ran into some SD problems. When i export the graph as a .sbsar, then put it into Marmoset it doesn't import properly. All the maps are different than whats in SD. I don't understand why. If anyone wants to download my .sbs files, export it and throw it in Marmoset to see if they get either what they see in SD or something different that'd be great. Aside from those issues, i struggled to get this to look like how i wanted it. I looks one way in SD and another in Marmoset. So my first picture is Marmoset and the second is from SD/player.
    Ghj3wZs.png
    oZWbosS.png

Here are all my .sbs files that i worked on. I've included some that I didn't included pictures of here. I always plan on sharing my .sbs files. :D I think it's helpful for everyone.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9MBFie9jHhUYWhhTmNrTXQ1WVU/view?usp=sharing
  • Tejay
    Offline / Send Message
    Tejay polycounter lvl 8
    Great to see newcomers. New weeks references are up! Good luck and have fun!
  • Fansub
    Offline / Send Message
    Fansub sublime tool
    Ah things get interesting :D
  • jorymos
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a go with week 7, interesting and fun :)
    21031267631_ddc0e4572e_b.jpg
  • agentc0re
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    @jorymos Wow, nice job man. I'm not even sure how to start this weeks challenge. For me, it's proving to be impossible to get the layered effect of shingles.... yet here you are being all badassary and shit showing off your good work. :D
  • Soldeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    @agentc0re Still working on the wood challenge, so can't try it, but you could try using a Tile Random with using a Gradient Shape,but you might be able to get the layered effect that way!.
  • Mysteryotto
    Hello everyone! I'm super excited to be taking part in this weekly challenge. I wanted to thank everyone for being so helpful in offering tips and critiques. My knowledge of Designer has grown tremendously. I'm still playing catch up, but here are my submissions for the first two weeks:

Week 1 -
    MrdDgnO.png

week 2 -
    BfnRZbG.png
  • Secret Squirrel
    Offline / Send Message
    Man you guys are amazing with these weekly challenges. It took me a while to get Base Diffuse/Albedo until I was happy with it. Hope you guys like it. And a special thanks to Brad for that slope normal technique. I tried it out and I really like the results. Thanks again everyone.
    Asphalt.jpg
  • Secret Squirrel
    Offline / Send Message
    I also had a question as to how everyone was attaching their files to the post. Apparently I am doing it very wrong lol.
  • Mysteryotto
    I host my images off another site like imgur, then, when I'm typing a reply here, I click the "insert image" button (that looks like an envelope). In there, I paste the URL of the image and it will display in the post. If you're like me and like to double check, you can select "Go Advanced" where an option is provided to preview the post before submitting it.
  • jorymos
    Offline / Send Message
    @agentc0re Thanks, work on the basic shape of a single piece of shingle first, then create a height map of it.
    20432252053_7855f945a0_b.jpg
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Late on the asphalt but still going I tend to make things complicated...

Asphalt breaker node. Not done with the texture it self. The texture starts with basic asphalt than I use this breaker than ill add pebbles, small debris, and a street paint line node. Separating in substance nodes chunks to make it more modular.

11057763_10203445402455636_7457840864229803297_o.jpg
  • tigerheart
    Offline / Send Message
    week 7 is ready.rooftile.png
  • agentc0re
    Offline / Send Message
    agentc0re vertex
    Thanks for the tip @Jorymos but i'm still struggling. I can make it look like a brick pattern but not look like they're overlapping. Every time i blend, the gradient of the pattern where it overlaps disappears no matter the order i blend. I think i'll just wait for a .sbs to be posted for this one, try and learn from that.