Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio work/WIP/Doodles - PatTl92

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
PatTl92 polycounter lvl 6
Hello, fellow art peeps.
Need to push my personal work and create some portfolio pieces.
So I hope you guys give me some feedback for my work :)
____

A Character I created in my spare time, mainly to learn texturing with Substance Painter. Worked quite a while on that character and learned a lot about PBR and Painter.

HFrjnEO.jpg

11Wt8wp.jpg

7Z3F01q.png

Marmoset Viewer on ArtStation

C&C more then welcome.

Replies

• oreoorbitz
    Offline / Send Message
    oreoorbitz polycounter lvl 9
    Ok, so take what I say with a grain of salt, since I'm still learning to texture myself.

1. I would add more contrast. For instance the undersuit doesn't really stand out becuase the metal has a blueish grey tone to it, and the blue of the suit looses pop. The same with strap and the cargo pants.

2. I would add more medium size details to the metal plates, like the theigh plate. Like bolts, or lines, or grooves, it should be realtivly easy to do with substane painter.

3. I would add more dirt on the shows, as that would logicly be the place where it would accumalte the most.

Again, grain of salt.

Despite all that, I think it looks great. I know how hard to make a finished character
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, oreoorbitz,

1. I tested different colors during texturing, and then came to this more greyish blue. And I think I liked it because of the low contrast between the different parts.

2-3. Didn't want to rely to much on small details or scratches/dirt to make it look interesting.
    Wanted this one to be more clean.

Thx for your grain of salt :)
  • clinington
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    I agree with oreoorbitz; some more contrast in your textures would make a big difference. The blue parts on the upper arms look really flat from a distance which is a shame because in the close up shots there is a nice pattern. Also, some more dirt couldn't hurt :D But good work so far, I like the design :)
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    so also some coworkers told me I should maybe work a bit more on the colors/contrast and so it kept nagging at me.
    I gave it another evening and worked on the colors of the suit. Really have to say thx for bringing it up, I’m happier with it now than before.
    Also experimented with complementary colors, but didn't like the result so I stay with only blue.

k06Ljn2.jpg

Now I have my head free for something new.
    Cheers :)
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello fellow artists,
    Finally came around to make some WIP renders of my current project.
    Working on a real time model of the IS2 Soviet Tank.
    HP is still WIP, so some details are missing and still have to check for too sharp edges etc.

jyVsLPO.jpg

SPkKBCc.jpg

9hy1Ery.jpg

rbncft1.jpg

Currently thinking about the welding seams, if I should do them in Zbrush or maybe just in the textures with Substance Painter.
    Atm I’m more tending to Substance.

Comments and critics welcome :)

PS: The Render scene is also still in progress.
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message

Hello guys,

at one point I got annoyed with the Tank and putted it on hold.
    During that time I played a lot of MGS V and I really dig the design of the D-Walker, so I started my first Fan Art.
    After taking a ton of screenshots, videos and figuring out how the mechanic of the leg works and some days of modeling I present you the HP.

And a start on the LP

Cheers!
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the LP

• PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done, some small parts missing, some tweaking here and there.

• PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    So, finished the LP on the weekend. Around 39k Tris with everything.

Also started the unwrapping over the weekend.
    Cheers
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick screengrab of the bakes inside substance.

• PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys, working on the texture of the D-Walker main body. Going for that color scheme.

Some C&C would be nice :)

Cheers

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The tank looks really professional and easily stands out from the other 2. Working from real references has many benefits and Id strongly recommend continuing doing so The walker has way too sharp edges, to the point where they cant be seen at all. Aside the modeling looks pretty good, id focus on texturing. Edge definition is important, also mixing large scale with small scale details and contrasts in roughness and specular.
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Good start on the mech texture, look forward to seeing more.
    Any plans to add an environment with the mech, even if its just a sand plane, just be cool to have some context :)

• PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message

@Shrike, thank you for your post.

I guess you’re right, and I still plan on picking it up again.
    Also have the feeling that it was maybe a bit of a mistake going from one big project to another one and I should work on some smaller props to mix it up a little. Also for myself.
    But first, after looking at the edges again, I finish that one :)
    Yes I really have to texture more, still a big gap.

@JamesMeader
    Yes I plan on doing that. Actually I thought of a sand plan just yesterday :D

• PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, after a little easter break it's time for a update.
    Made the edges of my HP smoother and rebaked the maps.
    Also threw away the "textures" I alread made and started new, so still ultra Wip.

Also gathering texture references for the materials I want to use, if you know some good sources let me know :)

• PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    made some progress on the main body. Also spend some time in the last week on reading more about PBR to better understand the rules, slowly getting the gist of it.

Think I should at the small text and textures for the dashboard soon so it dosent look that empty.

• PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Evening,
    added some labels on the Walker and also worked more on the suspension.

• PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    the body is, I think, finish from texturing side. Have to put it into Unreal and create the presentation scene so I can see where I have to fix something.
    Also started texturing the limbs, adding dirt to them now.

• PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update,
    threw it into Unreal and made a quick scene with an HDRI. So the scene is still WIP.
    Have to tweak some parts of the texture.

• PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Another week, another update.
    Working on the lighting in Unreal, pretty happy so far.
    I gave myself time till the 16 of may to finish it. Biggest part still missing now is the ground plane.

• PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Made my first Substance Designer shader with the "Substance for Unity 5" videos from Allegorithmic.
    Using it as my ground texture for the D-Walker.

A few bits and bobs want to tweak and then its done :)I
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    It's done, finished my D-Walker. Happy with the result, but also happy that it's done :D Some more pictures are on my Artstation side.
    model

• ozeanfeuer
    Very nice work!  The mechanically functional aspects of your design are well thought out.  Your texturing adds to the industrial military feel of the finished piece.
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I can't take credit for the design since it's from Metal Gear Solid V.
    But I take it for the textures :)  thank you.
  • WillPower
    I like it! Whats the texture resolution in Sketch fab?
  • PatTl92
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thank you.
    The resolution is 2k. One Map for the main Body and one for the limbs.