Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vickers Medium Mk. II - British interwar period tank

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Xazas polycounter lvl 7
I wanted to model a tank as potential portfolio piece and looked for a more unknown tank. And so I came to the British interwar period tank from 1925, the Vickers Medium Mk II.

hAcojwD.jpg

Update: Tank is done, more pictures below.

TeBu1Cm.png

My progress so far:

vte0EmD.png

I took some freedom on some smaller details, since a lot of my reference looks different in some parts, pictures are sometimes very old and of poor quality or they are from modern times, but the tank aged quite a bit.

Feedback and critique very welcome!

Replies

• Xazas
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    I think I got the highpoly mostly done, but I'm open to critique for improvement.

DMszdfb.png
  • Xazas
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    It's done!

Since I plan on making this my first complete portfolio piece, I'd love to hear some critique.

TeBu1Cm.png

HemiqT5.png

u2FKRey.png

y9FYu2R.png
  • Bonkahe
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good but you might try a few texture variations, like a camo / snow camo /perhaps just straight from factory grey? just to see what you would prefer. Add in a bit of wear and tear, like pealing on the letters and such, also I think that gear at the back on the tracks would be grey one way or another, but other than a few paint jobs looks excellent man, Especially that highpoly man, super clean.
  • Xazas
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a lot for your reply, I made some color variations and a camo painting. I also looked at the gear again and in the reference it is completely painted. which looks better I'd say then the half painted version I had.

mWtiieR.png
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Thats a completelly interesting design! I love the unique designs where in the world war 1/world war 2 circa era.
    What are you rendering the tank in? The lighting could use some more work, you can try some good old Three-point lighting for the lighting setup.
    I recommend you to take a look at the work by pavel here: https://www.artstation.com/artist/pavelpetrenko, he made a great job at making the textures in the tanks really interesting and unique. Try to blend in some more scratches, gloss variation and play around some more with the dirt, specially on those side skirts around the suspenssion.
    Looking forward to see more progress, your doing a really nice job!
  • Xazas
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for your feedback maxivz!

The pictures are from the Substance Painter Viewport, so Yebis 2 renderer. I always though Image based lighting was superior to custom placed three-point lighting.
    I have to agree, the tanks of pavel petrenko are amazing and already served me as reference and inspiration for this project.

I put in an additional dust layer and I think I will call this project done. I feel like I want to move on to the next project and I also already have one more project in progress.

PHqCw59.png
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    That looks already a lot better. I use a combination of ibl + spotlights, a soft background ibl lighting with stronger point lights to make details really shine in areas i want them to be more noticeable.
    Id make the ibl a bit darker and put in some spotlghts to make the part thats facing the camera look a bit brighter, just to create some more dramatic lighting as its pretty dull atm
    Id recommend you to try out Marmoset toolbag 2, download the trial and give this model a try in it, marmoset is the best software when it comes to rendering in real time and presenting your work. If you planning on using this as a portfolio pice i also advice you to take photos from various angles, a picture with wires and a picutre of your texture maps.
    Keep it up!
  • Xazas
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    I already used up my Toolbag trial quite a while ago and unfortunatly my budget is kinda tight right now, else I would definitly go for it.

But I think I'll try your lighting suggestion in UE4.
  • Xazas
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    Render from UE4.

5e1xkBE.png