Home General Discussion

Anyone upgrading to Windows 10?

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    A lot of that has been done since Windows 7 and earlier, and Google does the same stuff. Nothing new, but people should be aware of it.
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    The problem is the issues it might get with privacy laws in other countries then the US, because for example if they actually collect email content, that is a huge issue for any company, and sounds really bad.
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Someone said industrial espionage?
  • Kraftwerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Not anytime soon, Windows 8.1 while using it, is still a bug hell, and from what i heard Windows 10 is even buggier this time. Also a lot key hardware still has no proper drivers released (Wacom, my soundcard,etc), funny btw people claim only Linux has driver issues, but with MS moveing to faster release cycles, it really shows ehh ?
  • lovingsaskia
    Offline / Send Message
    lovingsaskia polycounter lvl 6
    Nvidia released a new driver for windows 10. Downloaded it. windows 10 said no and broke it. Spent 30 minutes trying to get nvidia working again.
  • Mr.Moose
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    I had so much trouble trying to get my drivers to work just so I could have both monitors and a screen res higher than 600x800 XD

Had to download the "Display Driver Uninstaller" from guru3d. Then reinstall all my drivers
  • Fefs
    Offline / Send Message
    Fefs polycounter lvl 3
    After installing the win 10 and it crashed like crazy with the autoupdate for my radeon amd, I discover that the problem its not the win 10, but the sony that don't permitted that I update my driver with a generic driver for the model that I have...

So I'm back to 8.1 till some light from sony T-T"
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Well my tablet and Photoshop are working better in Windows 10 so far. I normally had to restart Photoshop to get pressure sensitivity to work if I plugged in my tablet after Photoshop was open, but now it's actually working without restarting the application.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Been on windows 10 for 3 days now, working flawless. drivers for my gtx970 are working fine. My Intuos 5 pro is working fine and have done 2 days of work with photoshop cs6 and maya 2015 with no issues.

Only part that is odd is the search functional if i use Cortana she dosnt seem to search anything local anymore. Like in windows 7 if i want to say change my mouse settings or uninstall a program, i could just search 'mouse' or 'uninstall' or search for a name of a setting. That isnt working for me anymore.
  • Mark Dygert
    I installed it on my experimental machine on Sat and it all seems to be working well but I haven't fully production tested it yet. 3dsmax 2014, zBrush, Photoshop CC all appear to work great. I haven't hit any snags, yet. I plan to do all of my daily work on the experimental box this week and if all goes well I'll upgrade my main machine.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    It seems that the transition has been smooth for most people. Is win10 better than 7, or just not worse?

11831653_1013281182036166_6106856494796057276_n.jpg?oh=603712b782b77ad9147ffd77650338b3&oe=5659A35C
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Oh my god that image is a freak of nature, I love it.

I thought windows 8 was way better than 7 so my opinion may not matter much, but 10 is definitely better than 8 minus some stipulations with things removed from 8.

Only thing that will really help is if some of the windows phone apps make their way to desktop, i got one for a prepaid phone and it's amazing how much crap is on the desktop store when the mobile store has so much good stuff. Like decent twitter, reddit, pinterest and other apps. I've made it my mission to message the developers of these apps and ask for a desktop version XD. I got a response for the pinterest one so hopefully that will be soon.
  • kolayamit
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
    Updated my desktop and laptop to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 recently, downloaded the ISO from Media Creation Tool x64. Extracted the ISO then ran setup from there and updated from Windows 8.1 and windows was activated :) . All the software's are working fine. Overall experience is very nice, windows seems faster than before.

win_update_issue.jpg

I have one issue i am not able to see any windows update(please check attached image), is anyone having this issue and does anybody know how to get my new Windows 10 upgraded keys.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i posted how to get your key in this thread... but here it is again:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
    specifically: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey-x64.zip
  • mats effect
    Having a bit of an issue with that took I have my key ok but its not been upgraded to windows 10 yet and as I did a clean install not an upgrade the windows 10 upgrade software is gone. Trying to get onto MS about it to see if they can help.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a bit of an issue with that took I have my key ok but its not been upgraded to windows 10 yet and as I did a clean install not an upgrade the windows 10 upgrade software is gone. Trying to get onto MS about it to see if they can help.

Not sure why you'd do that if you wanted to upgrade, i think the upgrade allows you to clean install.

Anyway, if you did a clean install of 8 i'm 99% sure you'd need to reinstall ALL you updates before the windows 10 update would appear.

It would likely be MUCH easier to just download the ISO, or install it to a usb stick.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  • kolayamit
    Offline / Send Message
    kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
    i posted how to get your key in this thread... but here it is again:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
    specifically: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey-x64.zip

Produkey is showing same keys for my laptop and desktop, i have no idea why.
    Also check out this one http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkey.html
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Q: Can you turn off transparency for Notification Center?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @Mantragora Does this work?

Settings > Personalization > Colors > Make Start, Taskbar, and action center transparent > Off
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    @Mantragora Does this work?

Settings > Personalization > Colors > Make Start, Taskbar, and action center transparent > Off

I will tell you in next 360 days, when the last day of my W10 update will come and I finally update my W8.1. Then I will update it to fully patched W10 :D

I just wanted to know, because from screenshots it looks a little out of place compared to other parts.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    Q: Is there possibility to block windows so they couldn't be moved below taskbar, or is it as was before?
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    The only issues I've had since upgraded involve chrome hanging up while loading. Sometimes when I first open a tab, and other times, once the tab's about half done loading. Often I get a prompt asking if I want to kill the culprit page.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing it, or how to fix it? Or anyone with the same problems? It's on two computers; home and work.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Maybe try the chrome beta build? https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/beta.html

I haven't had any issues with Chrome, maybe try logging out of Chrome if you use that.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Okay well found my first issue with windows 10. It dost affect my daily work at all but the drivers for any wireless card that uses the Atheros AR9389x chip-set are shit in windows 10. I get spikes in my ping which make it nearly impossible to game with it.

If i just ping google with
    ping www.google.com -n 30

i get
    Ping statistics for ##.###.###.##:
        Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 30, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 172ms, Average = 47ms

Pretty big variance in those times, and it is more than enough to cause some serious glitching when playing multiplayer. running the same command on the same computer in windows 7 gives me a min and max that are only 2 ms apart. also works perfect on windows 10 when directly wired in.

Aside from this issue i love windows 10, i daily use my Intuos 5 Pro, Photoshop CS6, Maya 2015, xNormal and Substance Designer with no issues what so ever.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    My unfounded and illogical theory is that Microsoft nerfed Chrome intentionally. Edge works great and loads everything instantly. Until my chrome shapes itself up, looks like I'll be crossing over to the darkside.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Or maybe edge is so fast it makes chrome look incredibly slow XD

i've been considering reinstalling.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm... tempting... but NOOoooo. I will resist. Only 358 days left.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, i installed it yesteday...since i have clean install of win7, i thought...eh why the hell not.

So far, overall i like it, everything seems to be easier to find and nicely organized. Also no problems with apps so far, apart from Unity, which sux big time. Setting compatibility didn't help either. I'm hearing one of the problems might be with licence file, but i can't really find that one.
    I'm suspecting something like that could be the case, since it's not that it crashes with going to editor, it already crashes on the startup screen, where you choose what projects to load, before you even go to editor.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I'm not liking Cortana.
    It makes too many assumptions about what you're trying to say, instead of taking it more literally.
    For example, it's impossible to get it to recognize the word "hotkey" rather than "hockey". It'll start to say "hot key", then correct itself by merging it into "hockey".
    Which is fairly unnecessary in the 1st place, since 99% of the time it just sends you to Bing instead of doing anything directly anyway.
    And I have a studio quality mic.
    They hyped it up as being some sort of super Siri, but it's really just voice-activated Bing searches.
    And oh yeah, it always uses Edge.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky wrote: »
    Well, i installed it yesteday...since i have clean install of win7, i thought...eh why the hell not.

So far, overall i like it, everything seems to be easier to find and nicely organized. Also no problems with apps so far, apart from Unity, which sux big time. Setting compatibility didn't help either. I'm hearing one of the problems might be with licence file, but i can't really find that one.
    I'm suspecting something like that could be the case, since it's not that it crashes with going to editor, it already crashes on the startup screen, where you choose what projects to load, before you even go to editor.

Hm unity loads fine for me but i did get a notification that my licence expried recently which is the reason i loaded it.

Just try logging out and logging in.
  • Zocky
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, i'm not sure how to log off, since unity crashes before i even come to the first screen....
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    And oh yeah, it always uses Edge.

Mine uses bing, but through chrome. because i set chrome as my default browser.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Mine uses bing, but through chrome. because i set chrome as my default browser.

Ah, it probably changed my default browser when I installed it.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    They hyped it up as being some sort of super Siri, but it's really just voice-activated Bing searches.

Bing really is not a good search engine. I use it as my main because it racks up gift card points, but I regularly have to use google to do what I call a "real search". Cortana/bing's usefulness is way over inflated, for anything but basic inquiries.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not liking Cortana.
    They hyped it up as being some sort of super Siri, but it's really just voice-activated Bing searches..

I've been using it on windows phone for some time, and pc version feels incomplete in comparison right now.

The version on windows phone completely interacts with the OS the desktop version as it is now does not and doesn't have any app integration yet. For now it's only good for setting reminders and calendar dates I guess.

But on the phone you can use it for almost anything.

As for your issues with speech recognition, have you tried training it? You should find a setting for recognising "hey corntana" that will put you through a speech training exercise.

And yeah i agree it should use google, i'm certain there a way for it to automatically use the default search engine.
  • lovingsaskia
    Offline / Send Message
    lovingsaskia polycounter lvl 6
    Anyone using windows 10 might want to follow this if they haven't already.

https://youtu.be/octjhIXkcf0
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    lovingsaskia:
    yes, you never get anything free. Instead of paying up, you get "free" software, and MS will make most likely even more money out of sharing / selling the data they collect from users computers - advertising, software versions, what you type, search, do, where you go, what gadgets you use.

I think they have done it all the time to some degree in previous windows versions too, just now they announce it and make you give them permission to do so.

There are many guides to disable most of the obvious sharing/spying (whatever you want to call it) features. Most likely clicking NO in options is only there to give you a warm feeling. But most importantly, if you want you can at least disable all obvious "telemetry" services, events and such, and you can stop automatic installation of updates.

I found this after I already did mostly the same steps when I installed Win10, it will get you started at least:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f38ed/guide_how_to_disable_data_logging_in_w10/

All the privacy stuff is covered in the Settings/Privacy panel link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx

Read the privacy statement, or just click the agree buttons and be oblivious to permissions and rights you give MS. Basicly they *can* monitor your keypresses if you read the text literally. Too bad it's quite hard to change operating system, as software many use is mostly windows only.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I don't know if it's been discussed yet, but I've seen proof that even with the settings turned off, windows 10 reports some extremely sensitive data to MS. Having bought a new SSD, I am keen to get the most out of it... but this really puts me off upgrading...
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Do a search for web data on your pc, there was quiet a few words such as my age emails among-st various other things i disliked strongly to have seen in a package ready to go.

Otherwise I am still on win7, besides dx upgrades what is the need to update? If you don't game that is, well not as much as i used to at least.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz wrote: »
    Otherwise I am still on win7, besides dx upgrades what is the need to update? If you don't game that is, well not as much as i used to at least.

There's plenty of reasons beyond gaming.

The speed alone was enough for me to like windows 8, 10 feels faster than 8.

Everything else is UI improvements in 10. As of now though there's still some stuff missing from previous versions in terms of customization. But they're slowly adding them.

I posted some gifs and pictures earlier in this forum. here's one post.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2331320&postcount=87
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The speed alone was enough for me to like windows 8, 10 feels faster than 8.

Ha ! This I am very interested in. What exactly is faster in 10 compared to 7 ? Not talking about things like windows snapping (which is something I don't need/use since I rely on an already established layout accross multiple screens), but I am very interested in anything that makes an OS faster.

Are there any comparaisons/numbers out there ?
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Ha ! This I am very interested in. What exactly is faster in 10 compared to 7 ? Not talking about things like windows snapping (which is something I don't need/use since I rely on an already established layout accross multiple screens), but I am very interested in anything that makes an OS faster.

Are there any comparaisons/numbers out there ?

Well #1 thing is always boot time. The other stuff kind of vairies.

Its especially fast if you're on SSD which i got on my desktop later and the couple of windows tablets i've had. There's no comparison from 7 to 10 that i found so here's 7 to 8. 10 for me has booted faster than 8.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc1DFvNjs0k[/ame]

I'm sure there's a bunch more if you look around, I'm talking mainly about personal experience, when I first upgraded from 7 to 8 on my old laptop I saw an immediate speed boost despite all the stuff I had. It always ran really well on low spec systems like the tablets i've had.

Overall use has always felt faster to me.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Cool, boot time sure is a great thing, that's interesting ! They are probably doing some very clever stuff behind the scenes, like loading things in a different priority order. But yeah, I am more interested in OS navigation - files opening potentially faster, and so on. I have been on SSDs since 2009 or so, so, that part is not new to me :)
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    I tried Windows 10 for 3 weeks and ended up reverting to Windows 7. I'm not sure if the problems I ran into were a result of upgrading rather than a fresh install. My internet speed was extremely laggy, to the point where it took 20+ seconds to load any given web page (this was with Chrome). Initially the drivers for my Cintiq were also broken but after reinstalling them and deleting the preferences it worked, sort of. I had really bad delay/lag in photoshop along the edge of the screen. Every time I tried scrolling the layers pallette for instance the cursor would stop responding or stuttering for a good 10-15 seconds. I was never able to fix this but it was a huge workflow impediment. I also ran into some weird problems in Zbrush. I had memory problems trying to decimate things that I had no problem doing in Windows 7. Also, the UI buttons were somehow bigger or spaced differently but they were cropped off towards the bottom of my screen. This is something else I wasn't able to figure out a fix for. Reverting to Windows 7 fixed all these issues. I'll probably give Microsoft more time to iron out bugs before trying the upgrade again.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is running into problems with specific graphics applications.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    @pior hmmmm, this i'm not sure of. I mean i access a lot of files and explorer and such loads really quickly even with my downloads folder cause that has TONS in it but i don't know exactly if it's faster than 7. I don't keep files on my SSD only programs so it would probably be instant if i did XD. I have 4 hard drives full of junk.

They've made great strides in file search though in the way it indexes, file search takes only seconds for me and it's well organized. They also added a new quick access area which is nice cause of some of the automatic functions.

eV1x5BN.gif

EDIT: i just now noticed it corrected my search in that time...

@EtotheRic The issues with photoshop probably have more to do with "Wintab" which should be disabled in your wacom settings and if you're on CC disabled in that too. I don't know what adobe/wacom is doing but things don't work like they should. I had the same issues and solved it by disabling wintab.

I think the issue is on adobe's end cause the issue still occurs but only with extremely high ram usage like a gig size digital painting. It doesn't happen anywhere else yet.

The zbrush ram thing I have no idea, but the scaling thing could be because windows 10 will automatically set a global UI scale based on screen resolution or size which I don't think 7 or 8 did. You'd have to go into your resolution settings to fix it maybe.

ALso yes chrome had been slow for me too but recently made improvements, apparently in the recent build for insiders chrome wouldn't launch at all. I assume they haven't updated chrome for windows 10 yet.

Just for future reference.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    EtotheRic wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is running into problems with specific graphics applications.

Just to throw my experience out there:

I upgraded last week. I'm enjoying it. 10 feels much snappier I think a lot of that is just that a fresh install is always faster in general, since you don't have years of crap in the registry etc. The ui being a little pared back and leas flashy helps some too, and everything is simplified and easier to use.

I had trouble with only two programs, silo and marvelous designer. Upgrading silo to the newest 64 bit version solved that. Updating the video cars drivers did a lot for marvelous, although I still get the odd crash which is frustrating.

The privacy controls are easy to manage. However the safety/security setting are a little odd. I mean, the controls are good and the security is actually decent, but there are tools that you cannot turn off which I don't like. I guess I just like total control. There are 1 or 3 that just say "you can turn this off but we will turn it back on after awhile."

It's security stuff not privacy stuff though.

Anyways I like 10 more than 7.
  • LMP
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    iadagraca: Thank you! That is some good information. I'll be trying 10 later as a fresh install rather than an update. I was a bit worried about spending a lot of time setting it up only to run into issues like I did.

ysalex: I thought it was a bit snappier as well aside from browser problems.
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    EtotheRic wrote: »
    iadagraca: Thank you! That is some good information. I'll be trying 10 later as a fresh install rather than an update. I was a bit worried about spending a lot of time setting it up only to run into issues like I did.

ysalex: I thought it was a bit snappier as well aside from browser problems.

I have to believe that a fresh install will lead to a better experience cuz I have never experienced a crash laden experience like this upgrade since I switched to PC with win nt 4.0.

Upgrading to the new SLI hotfix for win 10 helped some games but in general I am still crashing on a quarter of my programs at starup.
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/download-geforce-355-80-windows-10-hotfix-driver.html

Was considering upgrading my Asus Slate from Win 7. But am really paranoid about wacom wintab in win 10. Can anyone confirm a good experience with Asus Slate?
  • claydough
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    claydough wrote: »
    I have to believe that a fresh install will lead to a better experience cuz I have never experienced a crash laden experience like this upgrade since I switched to PC with win nt 4.0.

Upgrading to the new SLI hotfix for win 10 helped some games but in general I am still crashing on a quarter of my programs at starup.
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/download-geforce-355-80-windows-10-hotfix-driver.html

Was considering upgrading my Asus Slate from Win 7. But am really paranoid about wacom wintab in win 10. Can anyone confirm a good experience with Asus Slate?

Searching Nvidia Driver forums I got a hint about vram issues with MSI and GPUz in WIN 10 and after turning off MSI afterburner I no longer have any crashes.

Games
    Autodesk Stingray
    Substance Painter

All working with NV surround and tri SLI

I can predictably repeat the issue always resulting in the same joy or suffering by simply turning as much off and on. ( An MSI issue )

On the Allegorithmic website they pointed to a larger issue that Nvidia is working on where Substance will still crash with large GPU operations...

But the following at least allows me to open painter and get some work done whereas before I had inta crashing with Afterburner open.