Home General Discussion

Anyone upgrading to Windows 10?

Replies

• nstine
    Offline / Send Message
    nstine polycounter lvl 5
    cryrid wrote: »
    The update process itself was smooth on the Surface Pro 3, but I seem to be having problems with a few of my art programs.

•Photoshop CS4 no longer seems to detect tablet pressure.

•Sketchbook Pro 7 is all sorts of messed up. Initially the strokes were several inches offset from where the stylus was touching. Disabling display scaling in the compatibility options fixed this offset, but brushes that were previously large are now micro sized on the screen. It's possible that it too isn't detecting pen pressure either and just giving me 1px strokes. Rotating the device no longer rotates the canvas. All in all its a shame because SBP was the program I used to have the most fun drawing in and had the best feel, but now its barely usable even for a scribble.

•Mischief seems to be detecting pen pressure, but something just seems off now. I don't know if it too has sizing issues, but the pencil brush I had set up seems a lot fuzzier/noisier than I recall. I could just be paranoid on this one, but at the same time it doesn't seem to rotate either so something may be up.

Have you tried reinstalling the Surface's ntrig drivers?
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I'm updating right now because my home computer isn't nearly as important as my work computer to my daily life. I can afford to get things borked up at home. Fingers crossed!
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    I updated yesterday evening. The download took me 1hr, after this the update process was really fast. After 45 minutes i was on the new login screen and the only thing left was the missing nvidia driver :).
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

^If you want to do a fresh ISO install seems they're doing what they did with windows 8 and are provifing ISO files.
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, as usual I'm gonna wait at least 6 months before even considering installing the new OS. Really no reason to mess up my computer with a new OS that might or might not work with my programs, and for sure doesn't have anything that is using DX12 at the moment. I learn from experience that I should always wait and see what happens with updates and other hidden surprises.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Upgrade went smooth for me. I took this opportunity to wipe my drive which was nice because my computer was acting up and I had like 90GB left on a 1TB drive and didn't feel like sorting it out. Substance 5, Unreal, 3ds Max 2014, all work fine from what I've tested so far. There was an issue with installing Nvidia drivers, but a quick look on the Nvidia Reddit and I was fine. A really easy fix.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    iadagraca wrote: »
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

^If you want to do a fresh ISO install seems they're doing what they did with windows 8 and are provifing ISO files.

also on BizSpark there is already windows 10 .iso files that can easily be burned to disc or made into a bootable usb
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    I just finished installing windows 10 on my laptop (not risking my workstation yet) and i seem to have some problems with max 2012, random flickering happening in the viewport that was not happening in windows 7, other than that everything else is working perfectlly.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz wrote: »
    I just finished installing windows 10 on my laptop (not risking my workstation yet) and i seem to have some problems with max 2012, random flickering happening in the viewport that was not happening in windows 7, other than that everything else is working perfectlly.

Probably a graphics driver thing, seems thats the primary issue most people are having so far.
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Absolutely all my stuff is working flawlessly and I do feel a performance boost on top of this. Looking good!
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Yeah, its mostlly becouse i have an onboard graphics card on my notebook as i use it mainlly to code, setting up the setting to high performance on windows and the intel hd driver pannel seemed to fix the issue in 90% of the cases, happends only a few times now.
    The only thing that really bothers me is the automatic updates, you cant get to skip them like in windows 8, and having a shitty internet connection like the one i have means you wont be able to browse the internet while downloading.
    Other than that i am really happy with the update, virtual desktops need some improovement as well, ubuntu ones are the perfect example of great virtual desktops.
    I feel in love with the new snapping settings :thumbup:
  • Ispheria
    Offline / Send Message
    Ispheria polycounter lvl 3
    Been using nothing but windows 10 for the last 8 months
  • WarrenM
    Been using nothing but windows 10 for the last 8 months
    This post is content free. :) And ... you like it? What apps do you use regularly? You've had no issues whatsoever?
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing that really bothers me is the automatic updates, you cant get to skip them like in windows 8, and having a shitty internet connection like the one i have means you wont be able to browse the internet while downloading.

From what i can tell it should only download and install updates when your computer is inactive.

If you go to update settings it will even give you a time it thinks is the best time for it to install. Beyond the inability to disable automatic updates it's a bit nicer.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Found this on reddit:

4m9nnVR.png
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, someone mentioned that their computer would use a lot of battery even when it was inactive, because it's downloading updates when it's inactive. The whole 'download updates' whenever is not good, especially with laptops and it uses up your data cap without you knowing it, instead of waiting till you are on a landline.
  • inspiredbyfire
    I can't find a way to post a new thread. So I'll post it here. Does anyone use tablets with Zbrush? Aside from the Microsoft surface pro are their any other tablets that can handle zbrush? An any word on Zbrush for Android? On subject. New tablets with windows 10?

Thanks
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The unknown is the actual meaning of "Auto download and notify for install." What actually happens when the user is not in front of his/her screen when the notification pops up ?
  • nstine
    Offline / Send Message
    nstine polycounter lvl 5
    McGreed wrote: »
    Yeah, someone mentioned that their computer would use a lot of battery even when it was inactive, because it's downloading updates when it's inactive. The whole 'download updates' whenever is not good, especially with laptops and it uses up your data cap without you knowing it, instead of waiting till you are on a landline.

I believe by default it is setup so that it wont download updates over a metered connection. It will wait until you are on an ethernet or wifi connection.

Also this may have been posted earlier in the thread, but Microsoft has released a tool to temporarily hide/block specific drivers and updates if they are causing issues and windows update keeps trying to reinstall it:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
  • DIABL0X
    Offline / Send Message
    DIABL0X polycounter lvl 5
    Upgraded and everything besides my Nvidia Drivers and Photoshop works great,

installed the newest Intuos 5 Drivers for Windows 10, but Tablet Pressure is not working...
    Works in Zbrush etc., not in Photoshop. And yeah, i did try to make all the fixes that helped me in the past, every time the same shit... -_-
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I can't even get to the stage where i am supposedly ready for the upgrade because I don't have IE11 installed ... but im going around in circles with errors and windows updates and all sorts of fixes just to fkin install IE11 to be 'eligible' to install Win10

The mind boggles.
  • nstine
    Offline / Send Message
    nstine polycounter lvl 5
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    I can't even get to the stage where i am supposedly ready for the upgrade because I don't have IE11 installed ... but im going around in circles with errors and windows updates and all sorts of fixes just to fkin install IE11 to be 'eligible' to install Win10

The mind boggles.

At that point it is probably easier to install it from a usb drive using the ISO files.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I tried to force it to upgrade with the wuauctl.exe trick going around (spare laptop) and im getting nothing but errors when its goes to the preparing installation phase. Same thing happens on my surface. Oddly enough all my computers have the windows upgrade logo icon in the corner, yet they refuse to actually... upgrade.
  • nstine
    Offline / Send Message
    nstine polycounter lvl 5
    Dataday wrote: »
    I tried to force it to upgrade with the wuauctl.exe trick going around (spare laptop) and im getting nothing but errors when its goes to the preparing installation phase. Same thing happens on my surface. Oddly enough all my computers have the windows upgrade logo icon in the corner, yet they refuse to actually... upgrade.

My laptop had the same issue. I tried manually triggering the update through the hidden $windows.~BT folder on the C: drive and it would give me a missing file error. I deleted the folder and the windows update download cache and used that cmd trick and ended up with the same error after it redownloaded.

Eventually I just used the media creation tool to make a bootable usb with the ISO files: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and installed it off that. I ran the install off the usb while booted into windows 8.1 and it gave me the option to keep my files or do a clean install. I wouldn't recommend booting from the usb and wiping your partition (if you want a clean install) and etc before installing as that may not generate the free upgrade windows 10 key.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Ummm....... I'm using Wins 8.1 Pro currently, does that mean I upgrade to 10 Pro as well ? Or to 10 Home ??

I'm so lost #_#
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    If you have a Pro license it should upgrade you to 10 Pro.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Edge is a better browser than expected. It's actually really clean and fast. And I like some of the features like drawing on a website or the reading mode it has. Not bad!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have a Pro license it should upgrade you to 10 Pro.

An upgrade doesn't work for me. So I'm downloading ISO for USB instead. So I gotta know if I should DL the Home or the Pro version.
  • Rev
    Found this on reddit:

4m9nnVR.png

This only applies to the Pro version. Home version makes this impossible.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Well, that's awful.
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Found this on reddit:

4m9nnVR.png

This did the trick! Thanks a lot!
    Also i think the pro version of 8 updates to the pro version of 10
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I see. Thanks man.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I really need custom live tiles to actually enjoy and take advantage of the new start menu, too bad the Windows 8 program I found to make them doesn't work with 10. I did get Steam Tiles which is great for Steam games, but it makes you open an extra program when a game is launched. I'm hoping to see more apps that are actually useful.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    I put Win 10 on a laptop that I used as a mobile workstation. As a Guinea pig install, it turned out surprisingly well. It might as well have been an UE4 update with how it worked out...kept everything I had with win 8.1, installs, directory..ect. Wouldnt even know a new OS was put on it given the way it loaded up (outside of the obvious changes to the OS).

Everything I threw at it worked with no problems. Not saying there wont be any, but I have yet to experience them.

I can honestly say that Microsoft will most likely bounce back extremely well with this OS. Its rock solid, well designed, modern and it shows an incredible level of competence imo. I think Microsoft is back in good form, finally. You dont have to rush the update, I know I am not on my main driver but its clear this will make a metric ton of people happy.
  • jollyhello
    it is no difference
    win8 and win10 and win7
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    jollyhello wrote: »
    it is no difference
    win8 and win10 and win7

I would disagree.

DirectX12, layout, compatibility (android, ios apps), performance, approach... its all a pretty big difference. =)
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Considering that Windows 10 is NT 6.4 there are not substantial changes from 8 and 8.1. You can call it Windows Vista SP7.

I think that DirectX 12 are only software locked to work under Windows 10.
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Upgraded from 7 Pro, it was pretty seemless. I talk to my PC now. Cortana is fun.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Found this on reddit:

4m9nnVR.png

There's already a much easier button for this in the update settings. People just ain't looking and too busy trying to combat base functions. (granted this is for pro only).
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Ummm....... I'm using Wins 8.1 Pro currently, does that mean I upgrade to 10 Pro as well ? Or to 10 Home ??

I'm so lost #_#

Yes, thats what it did for me.
    ZacD wrote: »
    I really need custom live tiles to actually enjoy and take advantage of the new start menu, too bad the Windows 8 program I found to make them doesn't work with 10. I did get Steam Tiles which is great for Steam games, but it makes you open an extra program when a game is launched. I'm hoping to see more apps that are actually useful.

Yeah it opens the app but at least it closes it shortly after, i've been using pinsteam since windows 8 launched so i'm used to this XD

Hopefully the developer of oblytile figured out the problem, he said he's looking into it.
    DIABL0X wrote: »
    installed the newest Intuos 5 Drivers for Windows 10, but Tablet Pressure is not working...
    Works in Zbrush etc., not in Photoshop. And yeah, i did try to make all the fixes that helped me in the past, every time the same shit... -_-

Photoshop in windows 8.1 and up requires windows ink to be enabled in your wacom settings, you can disable this feature in photoshop

I imagine your problem is the exact same problem here.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1500227
  • DIABL0X
    Offline / Send Message
    DIABL0X polycounter lvl 5
    iadagraca wrote: »

Photoshop in windows 8.1 and up requires windows ink to be enabled in your wacom settings, you can disable this feature in photoshop

I imagine your problem is the exact same problem here.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1500227

Thank you, it worked! I normally had to turn off windows ink, now it works fine :)
  • Thane-
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    The window management stuff in Win 10 (there was a Windows 9???) i thought was available through 3rd party addons since XP.

There have been some pretty in-depth Windows modifications available for a long time.

btw, if that is the highlight of Windows 10, i wonder what the highlight of Window 9 was...

Boggles my mind that they don't expand on the current functionality of Window's sub programs like Paint or Media player. I was animating a dog walk cycle last year and the number of little deficiencies and quirks that got in the way while trying to view read the movements in the reference video was just insane. How about an ability to scub the timeslider start at a more specific point in the video.

How about a replacement to flashplayer that doesn't throw away the cached data i just downloaded 4 microseconds ago when click in the timeline FORWARD into data i just cached, causing a delay and a re-download, which can be super annoying while streaming youtube on an average public wifi-connection.

This relates to why i've started writing down things that are deficient or buggy in programs i use, because there are so frikin many annoyances that manage to sneak under the radar or are just small enough for me not to want to bother contacting the company about or create a forum post. Yet a whole they represent a serious waste of time or deficiency.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    @Thane,

Well, Windows 9 (nein) wouldnt have been popular in Germany...

Joking aside, the idea to remove the media player and stuff like paint is a good one. Think about it, the 3rd party solutions were better anyway and nearly as accessible. So from their POV, they probably wanted to remove a lot of the more bloaty inclusions that were not given as much attention, and release a streamlined version of Windows. Since from what they are saying, Windows 10 will be the last version (with a number) of Windows, this means they have a lot of time to keep building upon it with a clean slate. This means a new highly efficient and capable media player or paint program can come later with an update.

Also regarding Flash, they probably assume like Apple (in part thanks to Apple's hate of Flash) that Flash is going to meet its EoL soon, even Adobe doesnt appear to be investing into its future. 3rd parties will cover the player aspect well enough anyway.

Testing out 10 so far has revealed one of the most efficient and modern OS I have seen to date. Its a foundation for future development to happen on top of whats currently released, which seems to be what you want.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I have no complaints on 10. I should point out though its mining our data aggressively. While you can turn off some of the data catchers, others are built in.
    http://www.techworm.net/2015/07/by-downloading-windows-10-you-are-allowing-microsoft-to-spy-on-you.html
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- wrote: »
    Boggles my mind that they don't expand on the current functionality of Window's sub programs like Paint or Media player. I was animating a dog walk cycle last year and the number of little deficiencies and quirks that got in the way while trying to view read the movements in the reference video was just insane. How about an ability to scub the timeslider start at a more specific point in the video.

How about a replacement to flashplayer that doesn't throw away the cached data i just downloaded 4 microseconds ago when click in the timeline FORWARD into data i just cached, causing a delay and a re-download, which can be super annoying while streaming youtube on an average public wifi-connection.

This relates to why i've started writing down things that are deficient or buggy in programs i use, because there are so frikin many annoyances that manage to sneak under the radar or are just small enough for me not to want to bother contacting the company about or create a forum post. Yet a whole they represent a serious waste of time or deficiency.

Media player seems to being replaced with a new app "movies & TV" and Xbox Music which it seems to try to set as your default player. I don't use them, I use potplayer and media monkey like always for now anyway.

"Fresh Paint" replaces Paint as Microsofts go to painting program, which is also an app store app. In fact the vast majority of apps preloaded on windows 10 are just app store apps made by Microsoft and can be uninstalled and reinstalled as such and update in the same way.

For instance "Photo's" over "Windows photo viewer" is another new one they're pushing.

Freshpaint has been around since windows 8 so that's pretty good, but the others are still new and clearly in development feature wise. Give it time and they'll be more established but for now it's very beta in my eyes.

As for flash, i doubt they'll do anything with that now.

You might want to consider joining the "insider hub" thing, there you can give microsoft feedback on bugs and even send them screen caps and other data. You have to enable the feature in settings though. The feedback app itself i'm not sure if it's pre loaded.

As for the data mining thing XY brought up, that's nothing new, I'm pretty sure it's still less than google ;)
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    I have no complaints on 10. I should point out though its mining our data aggressively. While you can turn off some of the data catchers, others are built in.
    http://www.techworm.net/2015/07/by-downloading-windows-10-you-are-allowing-microsoft-to-spy-on-you.html

Saw this collage of stuff created apparently on 4chan, and was wondering how much of this is actually true:
    9DoVoix.jpg
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    My god that image is paranoid.

Do they do that for every OS out now?
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Antiviruses do kinda the same stuff anyways as far as i know.
    But that really sucks
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a gross over exaggeration. When updating you can turn off most of the data sharing stuff, which they show in the picture as having an OFF function. For google and apple, this is all pretty much the norm right now. It would be nice if microsoft did respond and clarify a lot of that though just to put people at ease.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    meh I live in the US, complaining about privacy invasion is like complaining about it raining in London.