Home General Discussion

Anyone upgrading to Windows 10?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    I've got a ex-spare-a-mental PC that I keep around to try out just these types of things. It's currently running 8.1 and I'm fine with that, but since 10 is free I'll give it a try. If it works out I'll put it on my main machine which is running win7 and it's also a free upgrade or so they say...
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah - 10 is probably an interesting thing to install on a secondary PC (for KI and Gigantic !) but there is no way this will ever land on my workstation any time soon. A new OS + automatic updates is a recipe for disaster for anything involving demanding CG software and project deadlines.

There is just no way Wacom drivers, Photoshop acceleration and Nvidia drivers will all play along smoothly each time a forced update rolls out.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    forgot killer instinct was coming to PC, between that gigantic and fable legends, it's not a bad set of exclusives for the OS.

I do wonder if the automatic updates are really going to stand, at least with MS if people are loud enough things seem to change.

Though really disappointed that the file explorer does not have tabs... ffs. But I hope that comes later.
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    pior wrote: »
    Yeah - 10 is probably an interesting thing to install on a secondary PC (for KI and Gigantic !) but there is no way this will ever land on my workstation any time soon. A new OS + automatic updates is a recipe for disaster for anything involving demanding CG software and project deadlines.

There is just no way Wacom drivers, Photoshop acceleration and Nvidia drivers will all play along smoothly each time a forced update rolls out.

I think that you can still go into the Services panel, kill the Windows Update process and disable it.

It won't annoy you with updates messages, FOREVER.

I won't upgrade to 10 on my main computer till: I buy a Nvidia graphics card, AMD fixes the bugs introduced in their newer drivers that crashes Cinema 4D or switch to something else, like Blender or Maya.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Sonic : that's my point exactly. When it comes to my workstation I don't want to have to make any guesses, risk things, or rely on hypothetical hacks. I want to be certain about what goes on and have full control - especially after MS update policies made me lose work in the past !

Some enlightening stuff :
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/

Then again, upgrading is probably fine for a casually used gaming/media machine or a tablet. But for a workstation, that's obviously a no-no. Time is money.
  • oskarkeo
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    I've been using Win10 Preview for a few months now. Mostly i'm very happy with it, but my graphics card/resolution settings get borked every time it updates (and to be fair often when i restart). So i'm constantly opening nvida ctrl panel, resetting my resolution to HD, going in to override the desktop scaling, then adjusting the monitor positions. Which is quite a bit of legwork to be doing multiple times a week. Other than that i've nothing bad to report, but i'm not thrilled at the prospect of going through all that faff unless they sort out these updates.
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Sonic : that's my point exactly. When it comes to my workstation I don't want to have to make any guesses, risk things, or rely on hypothetical hacks. I want to be certain about what goes on and have full control - especially after MS update policies made me lose work in the past !

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/25/windows-10-automatic-update-problems/

Then again, upgrading is probably fine for a casually used gaming/media machine or a tablet. But for a workstation, that's obviously a no-no. Time is money.

Fortunately this kind of stuff didn't broke my 8.1 (for now), as I let this installation at default, without changing nothing to see how it goes, on the other hand, my laptop with Windows 7 had a lot of services disabled, printer, folder sharing, updates, search, etc.

It's like using a Linux distro, you don't know if installing something "new" may broke your whole system, but at least in this situation you can blame yourself for breaking your working OS.
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    No chance not for a year
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator

Oh yeah, I think I recall Microsoft nearly bricking my Surface Pro with one of their updates not long after its release. Can't recall exactly what happened or how I fixed it, but I know it wrecked everything and stopped it from working.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    I'll probably hang on to Windows 7 for as long as I can get away with it, much like I did Windows NT back in the late 90's - early 2000's.

No reason not too, win7 still is getting security updates and is proven with its deal breaking bugs already found and removed. I'm curious about 10 since i like some of the features it has, but im waiting a few months to a year for its problems to be sorted and to make sure it supports what i need to use for my day to day use.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    had some really shitty trouble with windows 7 pro on my new work machine , caused by windows update not functioning properly. wastged a whole day scourging google and random message boards where everyone had the same problem but no solution was present, had to install programs to install wndows updates MANUALLY and troubleshoot wich ones broke .

Just thinking this can happen again on windows10 without any control makes me shiver.

That windows 10 logo on the tray will stay dormant until this nonsense is adressed.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Apparently with windows 10 pro you can delay the updates, I don't know how long. But still the auto updates crap is going to hurt adoption, not sure what MS is thinking.
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah the automatic update thing is worrisome for people that don't have pro. Pro lets you defer updates/upgrades to avoid compatibility issues so if you want to but hate the idea of automatic updates you can at least have that on pro.

I'm not sure why they got rid of the feature to disable driver updates, I could see this for security updates (which i thought this was for) but driver updates are different.

Maybe the intent is to make sure all the upgrades work at once? After all people expect Windows 10 to change over time so compatibility is a concern OS wise. Kinda of like when drivers would be broken after people upgraded to windows 8.1 without bothering to update their drivers first. I worked in a best buy and some of the computers I upgraded some ended up with disabled WiFi, apparently a lot of people encountered issues like this and thus others avoided 8.1.

If Microsoft always wants people to be on the latest version of windows I could see why this would be done but it puts a lot of weight on those drivers working properly. It's a very idealistic thing to do when people are so frequently worried about updates breaking their computer.

For me I've always had the driver update feature enabled and never had issues on 8, I haven't encountered issues on 10 (yet) but i'm used to being on the edge :P
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah holding off for a while does make more sense.

How long is the free Windows 10 upgrade going to last? Any sources on that yet? If so, would you mind linking them? Thanks! :)
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Tobbo wrote: »
    How long is the free Windows 10 upgrade going to last?

you have a year to upgrade, no exact date has been given though, to my knowledge.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I remember reading, the "free upgrade" path is only for the downloadable update anyways - meaning that you don't really get the chance to do a clean install with this version.

I don't think one should really concern oneself with that one year deadline anyways. It is just a marketing trick to get people to install the OS early, and this really shouldn't affect one's evaluation and purchase decision. Just my 2c !
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    meaning that you don't really get the chance to do a clean install with this version.
    Thats not correct... You can perform a clean install after you upgraded to windows 10. You can´t do it without upgrading first. But thats just logical.

Can I perform a clean install using the Free upgrade?
    No, it will require that you are running a previous qualifying version and start the upgrade from within the qualifying version. You can initiate a clean install after completing the Upgrade.

source: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Well that sure is convoluted then. And as usual the wording coming from MS is confusing - it doesn't seem that one can actually install it to a formatted drive at all ... I suppose that MS's definition of "clean install" is a bit different from the usual.

Regardless, I am curious to hear about the early reports rolling in. It's always interesting stuff to watch from the sidelines.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    Its all just overall confusing how MS is handling this. Confusing as hell wording. Also i cant find on there sight were i can just buy windows 10 for a newly built PC with formatted ssd and no existing OS.
  • .nL
    Offline / Send Message
    .nL polycounter lvl 3
    I read somewhere that MS is rolling out 10 slowly. Allowing updates in waves so they can catch any major bugs they missed, before allowing everyone to get it.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    downloading now, wish me luck!
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    Its all just overall confusing how MS is handling this. Confusing as hell wording. Also i cant find on there sight were i can just buy windows 10 for a newly built PC with formatted ssd and no existing OS.

This was the same with the launch of windows 8, it was really confusing at first how people we're supposed to get it on newly built computers.

I imagine it won't be available in stores for a little while.

What I would do is just buy a windows 8 key (or better use one you have), install that, and just upgrade for free.
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Found the stupid hiden folder seems ive had it downloaded since the 27th... windows update keep throwing errors at me....eh Microsoft never fails to impress ~______~
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    So, if I want to buy a new HDD, I have to install windows 8 to it first, then upgrade to 10 ??
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    So, if I want to buy a new HDD, I have to install windows 8 to it first, then upgrade to 10 ??

Actually no i was wrong, turns out instead of CD's they're doing flash drives now XD

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Flash-Drive/dp/B01019T6O0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438148338&sr=8-2&keywords=windows+10"]Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 10 Home | USB Flash Drive: Software[/ame]

It's cheaper to just buy windows 8 though.
  • Mant1k0re
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Writing this from one of my workstations. The report says "0 app non compatible".

Don't believe them for a second, but what the hell... downloading now. This is for science guys, say a prayer for me.

Here's what I have installed:

Zbrush 4R7
    Keyshot
    Photoshop CC 2015
    3DS Max 2015
    World Machine + Geoglyph
    Headus UV Layout
    Wacom Center for my Cintiq HD
    Substance Designer 4
    Substance Painter
    Bitmap2Material 3
    Oculus Runtime, latest
    Unreal 4
    Unity 5

I will report on the disaster when I am done reinstalling all that.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    So far the only thing that hasn't worked for me "out of the box" are my graphics drivers, which i've had to redownload and install.

Everything else seems to work great.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Running Win 10 for a month now and no major problem. Stuff just works.
    No complaints performance or stability wise. If only they could clean up the settings / control panel.
  • WarrenM
    Is it worth it tho? Is it more than "nothing seems to be broken?"

I mean ... I want a reason to do it. Net zero ain't it. :)
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It's been working great on my workstation for a month. It feels a little faster and looks nicer than 8, the new Edge borowser is fast, it has a calendar app synced to your Google calendars and Cortana is pretty cool.
    I'll be upgrading my laptop soon, hoping it fixes Win8/SSD incompatibilities.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Reviews are coming in and seem positive, even the verge liked it. Still I won't be updating for a week or two.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyvQaVUeu90[/ame]
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    WarrenM wrote: »

If you're on Win 7 - yes. From Win 8 on the system has been designed to work with SSDs, whereas Win 7 is still from the HDD era and contains all kinds of unnecessary tweaks and "hacks" to optimize speed for those.

If you're on Win 8 - mayhaps. Unless you're seriousely annoyed by Win 8's start menu there's not too much new other than DX12 and maybe the built in virtual desktops. And maybe Cortana, if you fancy virtual assistants.
  • WarrenM
    OK, thanks. I'm on 8.1 and will probably wait this out for awhile...
  • SideEffect
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    windows-10-hidden-solitaire-fees-100598360-gallery.png

woot solitaire subscription model
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »

I'd say it's better than 8 in many ways, it's just nicer. If you're a fan of 8 there might be some things that bug you like it did me but i got used to those things.

Also if you're the kind of person who likes keeping 4 things up at once, you'll probably appreciate the new snapping features. This alone is worth it for me.

Rather than explain here's some gifs :D

K3ng2iP.gif

24TuQkX.gif

eRINjbz.gif

^This is a feature i use a lot that i didn't really use before. Coupled with virtual desktops it's pretty damn neat.It could still use some improvements like resizing the quadrants/halves and having it affect the other windows. But right now it's nice.

Maybe even better when i finally get a second monitor again.

EDIT: added one more thing
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    ya that is like the only reason i want it, is for the better windows managmeant features than windows 7 as well as OSX like virtual desktops which i have gotten used to at work.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    iadagraca wrote: »
    I'd say it's better than 8 in many ways, it's just nicer. If you're a fan of 8 there might be some things that bug you like it did me but i got used to those things.

Also if you're the kind of person who likes keeping 4 things up at once, you'll probably appreciate the new snapping features. This alone is worth it for me.

Rather than explain here's some gifs :D

K3ng2iP.gif

24TuQkX.gif

^This is a feature i use a lot that i didn't really use before. Coupled with virtual desktops it's pretty damn neat.It could still use some improvements like resizing the quadrants/halves and having it affect the other windows. But right now it's nice.

Maybe even better when i finally get a second monitor again.

this is fucking sick.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    Well to be fair, once you have two monitors and a good grasp on alt-tabbing, snapping features like these become mostly irrelevant. It does seem to depend on user personality types though, so it's great to see that the feature is here (and improved) for whoever wants to use it.

(in passing, that gif just reminded me that I need to give Blender 2.75 a spin ! :) )
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    (in passing, that gif just reminded me that I need to give Blender 2.75 a spin ! :) )

I'm on the steam version so it updates automatically, every now and then i get a snazzy new image to look at as a surprise.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Just in case anybody runs into the same small annoyance as I did, each version of the OS requires a separate ISO to install. With Windows 7/8 you could just download a single image then use your key to install a specific version, but I was unable to install Windows 10 using the image obtained from Microsoft's download tool with my enterprise key (I had to obtain a separate enterprise iso from the MSDN download page.)
  • slipsius
    My buddy installed it. his Surface is no longer working cause of it. 2 month old device.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    slipsius wrote: »
    My buddy installed it. his Surface is no longer working cause of it. 2 month old device.

http://www.geeksnack.com/2015/07/25/surface-pro-3-update-might-brick-the-convertible/

Anyone with a Surface should pass for now.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    for those who've upgraded but want to do a complete format and want to know what their product key is:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
    specifically: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/produkey-x64.zip
  • Anthony
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthony polycounter lvl 2
    Hm, I was gonna wait until i build myself a new system, with more memory, a better cpu and bigger boot drive capacity, before i upgraded, now, i think i'll wait until they sort out this "Auto-update everything" thing
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Bricking their flagship tablet on release day, that's a good sign.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7. It was quick and easy. Desktop pretty much looks the same. I lost the overclock on my monitor (Korean panel from 60hz to 96hz), I'll have to try setting that back up again. Feels more like Windows 7 than Windows 8 so far, haven't really done much else, I want to try setting up the Calendar and Email apps and see if I prefer that to normal gmail.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Bricking their flagship tablet on release day, that's a good sign.

To be fair, the news is 4 days old and likely affected users having installed the Win10 beta on their tablet.
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    The upgrade is a worse disaster then upgrading to Windows 8, which truly was a breeze. Many are having downloading problems etc, best advice, wait a week.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The update process itself was smooth on the Surface Pro 3, but I seem to be having problems with a few of my art programs.

Photoshop CS4 no longer seems to detect tablet pressure.

Sketchbook Pro 7 is all sorts of messed up. Initially the strokes were several inches offset from where the stylus was touching. Disabling display scaling in the compatibility options fixed this offset, but brushes that were previously large are now micro sized on the screen. It's possible that it too isn't detecting pen pressure either and just giving me 1px strokes. Rotating the device no longer rotates the canvas. All in all its a shame because SBP was the program I used to have the most fun drawing in and had the best feel, but now its barely usable even for a scribble.

Mischief seems to be detecting pen pressure, but something just seems off now. I don't know if it too has sizing issues, but the pencil brush I had set up seems a lot fuzzier/noisier than I recall. I could just be paranoid on this one, but at the same time it doesn't seem to rotate either so something may be up.
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    There are too many inconsistencies with the upgrade alone today, best advice wait a week or a month !

Supposedly Microsoft is going to roll out an updated Windows 10 in a day or two.