Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Halo Character

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ooyoo polycounter lvl 4
Hello polycounters, this will be my second attempt at creating a halo spartan character, hopefully of my own design

here was my first practice model, spent about a month trying out hard surface in zbrush as well as substance painter for the first time (amazing program, a must try)
MNV5JkF.jpg

after a lot of mistakes and a brutal but sorely needed and appreciated critique from an old teacher, learned a lot, had my eyes opened, and i am ready to give it another go, but this time spending more than a month...

heres the anatomy sculpt i have so far, needs some more lovin...
QbatgzJ.jpg

c&c greatly welcomed and appreciated

cheers =)

Replies

• ooyoo
    Offline / Send Message
    ooyoo polycounter lvl 4
  • ooyoo
    Offline / Send Message
    ooyoo polycounter lvl 4
    update - finally got to the tech suit, blocked out and in the process of separating everything

A2wFdAM.jpg
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    It looks pretty darn good at this stage! I would have to nit pick to give crits so here goes :) Everyone does the start pose differently and I am not a real fan of the floating doll look. atm the legs look weird and its the pose not the sculpt. I think if your figure looks grounded from the beginning that helps lots. The face is super correct but has very little personality. The suit is exceptional and the face doesn't match that. The suit should amplify the character and right now the obliques area looks female (not the anatomy just the suit). You have to be very careful where you put accents. The detail of the suit on the back doesnt support back muscles and is very noisy, no visual rest there.

Really outstanding start man!
    Cheers
  • ooyoo
    Offline / Send Message
    ooyoo polycounter lvl 4
    @kanga
    ahh yea i see what you mean about the noisiness of the back of the suit as well as the obliques, i will def work on that and now that i look at the face again the doesnt seem to have too much personality @.@ def need to work on that. And how would u go about not having the floating doll look?
    thanks for the crits =D really appreciate them =D
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I just realized your username is "milk" in Korean.

kkkkkk

He seems a little too short in the torso, proportionally. This is assuming we want a ridiculously heroically proportioned Spartan. Is there still room to stretch him out a bit?
  • ooyoo
    Offline / Send Message
    ooyoo polycounter lvl 4
    haha someone figured it out wahoo!! and yea i can try stretching his torso out a little bit, i want him to be like inbetween heroic and normal, im kinda basing him off of the spartan 4s
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    nice start! work on the silhouette some more, right now every shape blends into the next

also you got a lot of symmetrical shapes you should break up, for instance thighs and lower legs are kinda symmetrical same for the biceps and forearm
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    ooyoo wrote: »
    @kanga
    ahh yea i see what you mean about the noisiness of the back of the suit as well as the obliques, i will def work on that and now that i look at the face again the doesnt seem to have too much personality @.@ def need to work on that. And how would u go about not having the floating doll look?
    thanks for the crits =D really appreciate them =D
    Well I told you it was nit picking :)
    The face is way better than the first version at the top of the thread, I just think you could pick out a 'type' and push it even further.
    The stance might be grounded but I cant tell. I found with sculpting if I give the pose weight it helps with the sculpting because it is all air anyhow. It looks like the Da Vinci man pose. You should suit yourself but if you push the pelvis forward slightly, have the feet flat on the ground, head slightly forward and check that the side view is balanced it does wonders for the perception of weight.
  • ooyoo
    Offline / Send Message
    ooyoo polycounter lvl 4
    heres an update of the techsuit, separating everything and trying to make it work... only got to work on it for a few hours after work T.T hopefully this weekend get more work done on it

pulled the obliques out a bit... but not sure if it still reads as feminine or not...

85LrbQt.jpg

@Neox ty ty =D yea i saw your post and tried to really have everything read a little more silhouette wise, hopefully it worked @.@ and yup yup i will def work on breaking up that symmetry, hopefully the thing with the bicep is a good start? XD maybe...

@kanga yea the first one... i just really half ass'ed it XD i was super limited in time to learn how to use substance so yea @.@ but yea ill def pick a type of face and get more work done on it soon =) and ill def give the stance you mentioned a try on the next guy =D
  • ooyoo
    Offline / Send Message
    ooyoo polycounter lvl 4
  • ooyoo
    Offline / Send Message
    ooyoo polycounter lvl 4
    update, made the forms a bit softer to have it more realistic and able to move to make it feel more like a tech suit not armor
    will start working on the face now and will try to make it have more personality
    c&c welcome and appreciated =)

eJIoSMk.jpg
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    nice progress and the shapes are much better now. If you can do a clean model pass, some of the parts feel rather sculpted than fabricated.

Also take a closer look to the neck area, the whole head/neck transition feels clunky

the feeld feel odd, i think the armor should follow the natural shape of the foot more.

Aaaaand your crosspost is in the wrong thread ;)
  • ooyoo
    Offline / Send Message
    ooyoo polycounter lvl 4
    hahaha how embarrassing @.@ thanks though for pointing that out to me Neox

yea good point ill take another look at the neck to make the transition from suit to body more... natural? and yea the feet were bugging me but wasnt quite sure of how to deal with it... but ill try some diff stuff

thanks =D