Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cafe 5to2

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ledyr polycounter lvl 7
Hello!

This is the cafe from the first Silent Hill game

I know it's not exactly a brilliant and fresh idea but I couldn't come up with anything better... and it's about time I do something else at home than playing Counter Strike  and I feel kind of bad with my portfolio especially when I see what you guys post here everyday

So I started with prototypes painted in Modo XD (it's funny I tried to paint them almost the same like the original ones are painted) placed everything in UE4

I wasnt able to achieve better results with ue4 lighting and fog but i will try later.
something like this would be awesome:
http://cdn4.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/TheOrder_004_1080.jpg

We'll see.

I will try to make some elements similar to the original cafe but I think it will need some serious redesign

updated picture:

Some pictures:

Replies

• ledyr
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    I added some more complex prototypes but still only prototypes, I dont want to waste time on objects I am not sure I will use...

I am testing some textures on wall and floor, colors etc.

I dont want to make it completly different that the original cafe from game but its really hard when I see all that shiny stuff in references D

I think I will remove that red leather. won't work with the mood that hopefully i will make.

Also switched to more default lighting but only for now

• ledyr
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    Hello,

I need some help from you guys.

I am trying to make an ambient lighting with ambient nondirectional shadows
    ( like here for example :
    36139233-Lisbon-Portugal-Europe-View-from-Bairro-Alto-tramway-street-on-a-cloudy-day-with-shadows-of-people-p-Stock-Photo.jpg
    )

is it even possible in UE4?

all i found is some kind of postprocess ambient shadowing from skylight but it doesnt look very good:
    skylight.jpg

and directional lighting even with distance ray traced shadows doesnt make that cloudy day effect:
    directional.jpg

EDIT:

OK i got it. I just had to use some nice hdr texture in skylight and increased indirect lighting

hdr.jpg

This is what i got so far:
    cafe_092.jpg
  • shadacer
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer polycounter lvl 6
    Aha, Silent Hill! I did a similar environment, the toilet from SH2. It's quite tough to nail it, but fulfilling.
    The blockout looks pretty solid, but clean, too clean. I'm assuming you'll do this anyway, but grunge and high contrast makes the Silent Hill style stand out for me. The floor needs debris and the whole place needs a sense of disorder.
    I like the venetian blinds you have going in the other screenshot, consider bringing those, back but ragged and broken, could be a good spot for nice volumetrics and cool shadows.
  • joe11121986
    Offline / Send Message
    joe11121986 polycounter lvl 7
    It looks awesome. I agree with Shadacer's comment it does need some grunge to bring out the silent hill feel in it but it does look like a nice start
  • ledyr
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    thanks guys

shadacer - I saw your SH environemt, nicely done!

I wanted to make clean scene with fine lighting and atmosphere first, then move to more proper textures

Now I am not very happy with the result, I kind of lost motivation ;/

• ledyr
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    testing different lighting, maybe this will be better, its more interesting for sure but not very silent hill-ish
    cafe_097.jpg
  • shadacer
    Offline / Send Message
    shadacer polycounter lvl 6
    f you want to go for Silent Hill, turn down the ambient a bit from outside and make it gloomier. The lighting is tough to nail for these older games, as it is very dark, but bring in some god rays and let the ambience fill the room. You're right, the light fixtures aren't very Hill-ish, but you could get away with some them having a dim glow. The Cafe is a temporary safe spot, so this should be fine.
    As for the assets themselves, add some smaller props and damaged, misplaced items on the floors and tables. It's not just textures that make Silent Hill, it's the little bits of geometry they scatter about everywhere, like the drinks cans and tiles in my scene. Good work so far :)
  • ledyr
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for some great tips, i will definitely follow them

i made a little paint over, i think its just time to make more props and it should be ok

• ledyr
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    I decided to focus more on the mood and lighting instead of props.
    Removed almost all textures (just flat colors and roughness)

I am not sure if i didn't go too crazy with fog and grain ;/

I try to think of it as a part of the game, not just pictures so there is kind of a story :D

The main idea is that Harry didn't make it, you start in the same place as in first game but instead of Cybil you just have to take the gun from a puddle of blood (Harry's blood)

Here is a gif, showing how it could look like in actual game

Does it feel like it can be Silent Hill game to you?

What do you guys think?

• Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    I really like it and the idea behind it is solid. How much Silent Hill it feels is a little hard to judge, while it does remind me of the atmosphere of Downpour that is not really my ideal Silent Hill "look". I would really like to see a typical foggy daytime version as well! :) Other than that I really enjoy what you have done so far, keep it up!
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    really liking the latest iteration. I like the mood of the scene. but It still need some more breakup like, broken stuff... dirt and grime.
  • ledyr
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7
    thanks guys

I always try to make dirt at the very end, it can cover some major issues and then you dont know what sucks :dizzy: 
    Magihat, you are right man, I prefer the original look too. I tried to fix it.

omg it was 6 months ago, time goes so fast
    anyway i have some new pictures 

• ledyr
    Offline / Send Message
    ledyr polycounter lvl 7