Home General Discussion

Guilty Gear XRD, is there a way to view assets?

AlcopopStar
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
AlcopopStar polycounter lvl 4
Hello Forum!

I'm a pixel artist from Australia looking to dip into some digital illustration and just a fan of drawing and games in general.

Folio|Twitter

While not much of a 3D kid I absolutely adore the Guilty Gear XRD art.

I also think its actually a really powerful resource, it shows these highly stylized anime figures in some of the most successful 3D i've seen. No easy feat considering how nonsensical anime construction can sometimes be.

I am absolutely dying to take a closer look at these suckers to deconstruct their anatomy and design in full rotatable 3D.

My issue being and (TL:DR) um, how do I get my hands on the models? is it possible? I'm a little 3D illiterate as well so how complex would it be?

Please be nice! i'm new! Peace.

Replies

• Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    Im going to say no, I dont think its even legal to rip models from a console game. but i dont know much about it. so take that with a grain of salt.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    For what it's worth, Arc Systemworks made a presentation that does everything you're requesting. This includes doing a live demo showcasing one of their 3D models used in the game.

www.youtube.com/watch?t=21&v=yhGjCzxJV3E

Skip to 13:03 and he shows the model + wireframe

4gamer also did a featurette that showcases all the models used. It's in Japanese though.
    http://www.4gamer.net/games/216/G021678/20140703095/
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Stranger wrote: »
    Im going to say no, I dont think its even legal to rip models from a console game. but i dont know much about it. so take that with a grain of salt.

In most countries it is legal to reverse engineer stuff you own for the purposes of learning.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    A lot of what makes these models look so convincing is in shader tricks, not the actual model. The 4gamer articles cover it in surprising depth, the talk Jordan also linked is very nice to watch, though no more informational, really.

The 4gamer article, if you can't read Japanese, is given a translation in this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121144
    iirc around page 6 or 7, but the whole thread is pretty golden honestly.
  • Yadoob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yadoob polycounter lvl 7
    Here's a pdf taht explain in english some of the shader's trick https://www.dropbox.com/s/65cwf6kjuezhwdl/GuilltyGearXrd_shader.pdf?dl=0. MP me for .blend file with the model ;)
  • Chev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chev polycounter lvl 11
    The short version is, there's a generic unreal model viewer (umodel) that supports exporting Xrd models fine, though you'll get the raw data and then need to reproduce the shader in your 3d program like Yadoob did. As some others said, the legality and/or ethics are debatable, among other things because to do it you'll need a rip of the game's files, and because reverse engineering falls under the DMCA for most modern games.

Having myself made a few model viewers (unreleased to the public but not due to legal considerations, just because I'm too lazy to bring them to a releasable state) I think they can give valuable insight on development methods and be an interesting learning tool, though too many whippersnappers these days just use them to steal work.

One great thing is the little surprises. My best story is I made a model viewer for Final Fantasy 9 long ago and while showing it to friends we discovered a secret message had been written on a monster, in a place you wouldn't see during regular gameplay.