Home General Discussion

1080p or 1440p ?

HashBrownHamish
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
HashBrownHamish polycounter lvl 5
I'm buying a gtx 980ti for my build so higher res gaming is a possibility. But i was wondering if it's worth the performance loss?
I'm pretty sure for 3D modelling and photoshop etc.. higher r

Replies

• ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    If the rest of your build is up to par with the 980ti, you shouldn't experience noticeable performance loss at higher resolutions in games. I use the GTX970 at the moment and can max pretty much everything out and still get a stable 60fps or better.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Nothing compares to working on a nice IPS 1440p display. Awesome for gaming as well.
    And yeah I can max out every current gen game I've tried with my 970, so I wouldn't worry about performance.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Downsampling is awesome once you try it in something like GTA V you wont want to go back.
  • HashBrownHamish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HashBrownHamish polycounter lvl 5
    What is downsampling in principal exactly ? And what do you guys think of this screen http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00181231.html sorry it's in french but the model number is there.

I'm on a 1080p 17 inch screen atm so 24 inch sounds massive to me and all the other 27 inches sounds like too much
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    If you have the money and desk space, get a 27 inch 1440p IMO. Try it out in a store if you must.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    A big difference is the range between you and the monitor.
    You can have the exact fov and dpi with a bigger monitor only difference is that the monitor is far away.
    The bigger distance is better because its more relaxing for the eyes.

1080p at 24" is okay
    1080p at 27" is to big for me because i have not the view distance and the single pixels will be more visible.

But today i think 1080p is not good as new accession. Better 1440p as 27" with freesync or g-sync when you have high fps requirments for gaming.

Downsampling means that the gpu renders the picture in a higher resolution like 3840x2160 internal and scales the picture down to maybe 1080p. The picture is more realistic because other approaches are "cheap" tricks and not accurate.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Joost wrote: »
    If you have the money and desk space, get a 27 inch 1440p IMO. Try it out in a store if you must.

Yesssss. 1440p @27" is just too awesome
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    I'v had my Acer 27" g-sync monitor for a while now. It's 1080p and honestly i don't feel like i need more for gaming, but colors aren't the best so i figure 1440p IPS is much better for 3D stuff. I'm saving up for one so i can switch out my old second monitor with a 1440p.

Any recommendations for 1440p?
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    What is downsampling in principal exactly ?

downsampling means you render at a higher resolution and then shrink the image to your display resolution. NV/AMD have settings in their drivers that allows you to run games at higher resolution than your monitor supprots, and some games allow it natively. It's essentially super-sampling anti-aliasing.

Where regular multi-sample anti-aliasing only smoothes polygon edges, super-sampling smoothes areas within triangles as well, which is quite good for quality, because lots of texturing effects happen within a triangle.

Typically people who are on 1080p render at 2160p and then the output pixel on screen is the average of 4 rendered pixels. The quality is really worth it and can be combined with other anti-aliasing techniques.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Not to hijack the thread, but what about aspect ratio? I have a 16:9, and it seems like 16:10 might be better for productivity.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    16:10 seems to work well on smaller screen sizes but there isn't much advantage IMO once you get to larger screens.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe a bigger advantage is 21:9, when you have many many sidebars and need more viewport sight.
    I waiting for 1440p 21:9 with g-sync but 1500€ is a bit to much. :poly122:

http://www.displaywars.com/28-inch-16x9-vs-34-inch-21x9

When somebody need to check the dimensions fro 2 different monitors.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Not to hijack the thread, but what about aspect ratio? I have a 16:9, and it seems like 16:10 might be better for productivity.

I personally prefer 16:10 for the extra screen space and use a setup of 3 1920x1200 24" monitors both at home and at work. Seems to work really well.