Help baking in SD using match by name

Tzur_H
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
Hey all
I've got a scene that's looking like this:

4PHQFSn.jpg

Medium_Poly group will be switched with the high poly meshes, this was just to get the retopology done.

I've also got a cage file for each of the low poly meshes in the scene.

How do I go about setting this up in SD using the match by name and using all of the cages for each file?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Well I haven't had to use cages in SD so far, but a limitation in SD is being able to have only one Low poly file. This file can have multiple sub meshes for the different parts, and I assume this is the same for the cage. So I guess you would duplicate the group containing the low poly meshes in order to make cages, and when you're done editing, export that as your cage file.

For the naming your Character_low corresponds to the Eyes_high, Body_high and Pants_high, So you could keep the Character_low name and the the parts would become Character_high_Eyes, Character_high_Body and Character_high_Pants.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for your response, m4dcow.

Now I understand how to use it to bake multiple high meshes into 1 low, that's cool :]

Back to the cage issue - I suppose I can't get this to work without exploding the scene. If I'll make a new FBX file with all of the corresponding cage meshes, they will all be intersecting each other and will give baking errors. Unless it utilize the match by name for the cage as well?

Would love to hear how you go about baking without a cage!
    Are you guessing the max frontal and rear distance and adjusting? It just seems like a very inaccurate workflow for me :S What if you have complicated meshes with crevices and such?
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Well I assume if the file with cages is working normally then it should work with match by name.

As for not using cages, I haven't made any super complicated models such as a character since I've been baking in substance.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The name matching doesn't work with cages yet but we'll add this feature soon.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Any chance of adding an option to use prefixes instead of suffixes Jerc?
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Jerc wrote: »
    The name matching doesn't work with cages yet but we'll add this feature soon.

Sweet! This will save so much setting up time :thumbup: