Home Technical Talk

Criticise my UVs! - 3Ds max 16

Paquette_e
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Paquette_e triangle
Hey guys!

I'm currrently learning more in depth how to make great UVs and bake normal maps correctly inside of Max 16 and I would appreacite you to criticise them.

Here I have a bug with one of them:
Buged_Uvs.jpg

You can download my project file here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=00007122227160544389

Thanks for you help!

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Your texel density between the box and cylinder are inconsistent, Note how the checkers o9n the cylinder appear much larger.
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    LMP wrote: »
    Your texel density between the box and cylinder are inconsistent, Note how the checkers o9n the cylinder appear much larger.

Thanks!

I think I've misunderstood something. Let me explain you my point of view and you'll tell me if I'm right or not.

As an exemple: If I have a 6 faces cube. Face A-B-C have detail on them that I'm going to bake with a normal map BUT the rest of the faces does not have detail on them. Logically to give my normal map a better result, I'm going to make faces A-B-C larger to give my normal map more resolutions in my Uvs and others smaller because they dont have details, you know what I mean ?

Or do I need to always have the same resolution everywhere on my model in any situation ?

I hope I've explained my point correctly, sorry I'm french and sometime it's hard for me to explain things in english.

Another question: I would like to understand more deeply the Cage of the projection modifier in Max, is there any tutorial or ressources I can read to get more knowledge on it ?

Thank you very much!
  • instg8r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instg8r polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Paquette, it's still good practice to keep the texel density consistant between all your faces (whether they have normal detail or not) because you'll be applying additional textures (diffuse/albedo, spec, gloss,etc.) and that detail will need to hold up across the entire model.

There are some super good basic tutorials on http://www.handplane3d.com/videos.html. They go over a lot of fundementals and is great practice.

Hopefully that helps!
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    If your model will be visible from all sides, keep everything as consistent as possible. If however, there will be sides that are hidden, or not as easily seen, you can reduce those a bit.