Home Contests & Challenges Archives Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Trusty Battleaxe - war axe

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Prime8 interpolator
Hi,

I'm working on a war axe now and like to share the progress this time, instead of just showing the result.

Highpoly model is nearly finished, I want to add some studs and have to decide on a design for the pommel.
Some input is really appreciated especially for the pommel.

For the wooden handle I created a procedural wood material which I want to bake later as a base for the texture.
I'm pretty happy with the result and can easily reuse it.

kO2ZqwV.jpg
J2iAsmw.jpg
pGUWmwC.jpg

Replies

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's a good start,but your blade needs more of a curve. At the moment it's too straight and I'm afraid it would not make a very good axe. If you look at other axes,the blade curves so when it impacts, all the force is focused into one point ,so the point the axe makes contact has all of the force behind it. Your blade is a little too straight and it would distribute all weight,distributing the force of the blade,thus reducing the impact. A sword can have a straighter blade,bit only because the weight of the blade is bigger.

Secondly the opposite side of the blade,is it intended as a secondary attack point on the axe or it's just for show ? At the moment it's hard to tell .
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Hi JO420, thanks a lot for your comment!
    I understand what you are saying regarding a smaller impact area and focusing the force, but I think this applies more for picks and the spikes on war hammers and such. Even a more curved axe blade has still a wide area it impacts with.
    I did some research before starting there were plenty of different blade shapes some even completely straight. The axe I base this design on mainly is from Germany 15th century.
    The original Chivalry war axe is quite round therefore I thought a more straight one is a good alternative.

The opposite side is a hammer head. Probably helps to balance the weapon as well.
    Might be better visible after texturing, adding some wear to it, or i could add a bit of geo.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    If the blade is how you planned it,then have at it:) The blunt part could use some definition. At least so it looks more like it's intended blunt. Aside from that it's a nice design, I can't wait until it's finished.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Thanks! Unfortunately no time at the moment to work on it.
    Little update on the weekend I hope.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    A small update.
    I finished the model and baking all the maps I need.
    Here are some shots of the low-poly with normal map and a bit of AO.

Decided to go with a shorter spiked pommel.

With a bit more of bumpiness on the blunt part I think it is recognizable as such, wear on the textures should the rest of the job.

I think I'm not really good in naming stuff, how does "Trusty Battle Axe" sound to you?
    Any other suggestions?

Y9OZoJU.jpg
    caUzQfA.jpg
    7OxANrO.jpg
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Finished this one yesterday.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=452796991

I renamed it to "Sunder".
    Here are some images.
    Feel free to comment, I doubt though that I will make changes to this one anymore, but I can use feedback for further work.

mOjgEDt.jpg

FjNbw7G.jpg

nws0kFK.jpg

mSnrBiF.gif
  • Tripl3M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tripl3M polycounter lvl 2
    Awesome ! ... nice and clean ... what did u use for texturing ?
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Thanks Tripl3M!
    Pretty simple for this one.
    Baked tangent normals, object normals, gradient (center-sides, up-down, front-back), color map and AO.
    Created 2 masks in Blender, one for the wood, which is procedural and one for the blade material.
    Added just scratches in Quixel NDO and after that created the textures with Quixel DDO.

Maybe I throw this into the Quixel area later as well.