Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Deus Ex Corporate Office

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
FULGORE greentooth
k3afkx.jpg

So, right after the Mankind Divided trailer, I immediately went home and made a start on a little side-project :P
And once again I'm bowing to peer pressure and putting up a thread for it. Fairly happy with the lighting (aw yeah chiaroscuro) and trying to maintain that balance of realistically modern meets renaissance ideals.

I'm paying all my attention to the black-and-gold office space, but where the wall panel opens up I want to make a small panic room (a bit like Sandoval's bunker, but nicer, because Sarif).

Pay no attention to the floating cushion..

Wide shot:
Screenshot04%20%282%29.png

Some assets:
assets1.png
assets2.png
assets3.png
assets4.png

Replies

• locater16
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Nice start! The black chair material looks... undefined. Is it supposed to be metal? Shiny plastic? Why would you put that on a chair or any furniture other than to be incredibly uncomfortable?

But I like the initial blockout and lighting pass, keep going!
  • underfox
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with the chair looking undefined design wise.

Other than this. This environment really has something already. Keep it up, this has potential to be something really interesting.
  • FULGORE
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    The chair or the sofa?
    The chair is form this ref: fx10chair1.jpg

EDIT: Just got some in-person crits, I see the differences between my chair and the ref :) If I get the time tonight I'll make some adjustments and see how it looks with a proper normal map instead of smoothing & normals trickery
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Subb'd to this for sure! Looks like an awesome start.

I agree with the chair looking a bit more plastic than leather (or whatever material it's supposed to be). But it sounds like you have that figured out.
  • FULGORE
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    ADjusted the chair, still working on making the leather more believable (harder than I thought..)

I gave the shadows a bluer tint, reduced the bloom, got rid of lens flares (excuse the lowres shot)
    tumblr_nnpzvtoWsJ1tqbv4fo1_1280.png

And I've been working a few different assets:
    tumblr_nnpyl14Ot01tqbv4fo2_r1_1280.pngtumblr_nnrvjw3a8c1tqbv4fo1_1280.pngtumblr_nnsop19vv91tqbv4fo1_1280.png
  • locater16
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    I liked the lensflares :( But then I didn't mind them in Star Trek either.

One note, on the sticky notes of your last picture, they don't look connected to the wall at all. Turn on SSAO maybe? Either way they're missing they're not recieving the lightmap shadows properly and so stick out a lot.
  • FULGORE
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    I'm hoping the sticky notes will sort themselves out once they have actual UVs. Here's hoping.. they seem to be too tiny for the AO to pick up on

And I just realised after taking a highres shot that the "shadows" below the TVs are from a decal I forgot I had placed.. -__-

Anyway, highres of it so far, I think putting the main desk at a slight angle has helped composition a bit:
    Screenshot05.png

update15.png
  • FULGORE
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Trying out a different kind of desk, a more traditional chunky wooden one (but I'd like to have the top of the desk Master Control Program style)

11196305_10205219240418565_8227392653027184552_n.jpg?oh=7591abb666f0befcb96ab34cf16abbf4&oe=55CF6343
  • teho
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    love the props! keep it up.
  • MisterSande
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    loving this so far man, great job.

If I had to critique one point then it would be that the lighting is too uniform as of now. I think the scene will be allot better with some blue hues to contrast all the yellow goodness you have going on.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Is this all your own designs? Extremely promising.
  • megalmn2000
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Woah! I love it already! :D
  • FULGORE
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    Thanks all :3

I have a blue tint to the shadows, more noticeable at the back of the room near the door, but I might see if I can re-colour some of the other light sources or something :)

@Snefer - mostly at least - I wanted to make what a Sarif office would be like in the timeline of Mankind Divided

Also, since a lot of the official art for Mankind Divided differs subtly from Human Revolution (mostly in furniture and colours) I think I'll try changing the hanging lights from LIMB clinic-ish ones I have to clustered tube lights with hanging cables - think the music videos for Muse's Undisclosed Desires or Nero's The Thrill:
    HANGING%20LIGHTS%20REF.png
  • Minos
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Looking great so far, really cool designs :)
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Nice, nailing it.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    assets looking nice but be careful with your composition, currently everything has a lot of detail and contrast, and its all equally important and detailed , theres a lot of information and it starts getting noisy and overwhelming. Maybe chose a clear point of interest and turn off some lights.
    You have gold there, shiny glass, bright TVs, strong artworks on the wall, many lights, glowing floors.. its a lot competing for attention, bringing in a hierarchy can make it a lot nicer
  • altermind
    Offline / Send Message
    altermind polycounter lvl 5
    I want to like this.. I really do.. but my eyes feel confused... the shapes don't feel separate or distinct... lighting is interesting tho :)
  • FULGORE
    Offline / Send Message
    FULGORE greentooth
    I had a think about the composition and lights, plus the light saturated wood was bugging me (and turning the indirect light orange instead of gold..)
    So I took inspiration from the layout of a meeting room in the Picus building - trying out a new, simpler layout:
    update17.png

Better? Worse? Is bacon overrated?

(and I scaled the desk prop by .5 on one axis and duplicated as a placeholder for a more boardroom-esque long table, or maybe a modular table)