Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly HANDPAINT ArtJam | May 2015

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Odow polycounter lvl 8
w8UR29z.png
Welcome to the Monthly Handpaint Art Jam !
WZxxeim.png

Noobs and Character Artists can have their challenge, so do we! However we've decide on keeping it simple and friendly, and instead of making it a challenge, we're making it an Art Jam. A place where Handpainter can exchange technique, critique and tricks.

We welcome any cartoon concept artist that would like to join us too !
jUYndhk.png
Each month we'll provide a thematic , it could be large or it could be stricter. There will be 3 categories: Props, character and environment. You're welcome to enter them all if you want ! You can also enter in the same category more than once. We also encourage tiling texture in the "props category"
8I7DygG.png
  • There's no restriction on the software or technique you use. You're a free to use brush and bake map. Our goal here is to get better and share workflow. We won't accept any war between oldschool and newschool and what is handpaint.
  • The use of photo is strictly forbidden.
  • The use of heavily photobash brush is also forbidden. Remember the goal here is to PAINT.
  • The final output should only use diffuse, alpha and glow map. No Normal, spec or bump is allowed on the model itself. However using those map as a base for your painting is allowed.
  • This is an Art jam so don't use existing stuff, there's no point in it. Re-using asset is tolerate to a certain point, use your good sense.
  • Everything have to be your work, no stealing. Collab are allowed as long as your teammates are part of polycount !
  • You have to post WIP of your work, the main goal of this, is to learn, so no final product only.
  • We encourage you to post your texture map as well as the model
  • If you participate, you have to post at least a critique on someone else work.

lmlRIAP.png
"May, the beautiful month where all the flowers bloom (except in Canada, In Canada we still have snow ofc it's canada what where you expecting ?) But seriously, We had enough of green with Ireland so this month... WE'RE GOING INTO SPACEEEEEE *TUNTUNTUNTUN* Year 132 of the new Era, The humanity was forced into space "To Infinity and Beyond!" because of their stupidity. They created ships were humanity could live until they found a new habitable planet to pollute. Because they destroyed almost every living plants on earth, the few that they were able to bring with them in space were highly modified with technology or mixed with alien species. It's been over a millennium that humanity has left the Earth, who know what it looks like now, maybe they encountered many aliens species that now cohabited. May the forth be with you"

In honour of the month of May, our theme will be:
Space Garden

O9ZTVhD.png
Space Gardener ! Any garden needs its Gardener, human, robotic or alien. Try to make it look like someone or something who's job is to take care of the garden.
mHr2TZD.png
Create a space garden, it can be any type of garden you want, even an aquatic or a Zen garden, you just need to make it futuristic (if there's no metal in your garden then you didn't understand the challenge). Don't forget that the garden is inside a spaceship. You can make it a beautiful secret place or a technological food farm, it's your choice ! The plants need to be either fake techno ones, cross species or highly genetically modified earth's species or alien species.
qzIerQ6.png
2 Choices here
1- Some people like to have a flower pot or a small tree in their apartments, create a small inside plants. Make it original it could be an alien plant that wakes you up in the morning or a plant that lay egg for your breakfast who knows ?!
2- Space Gardener need some hardcore tools in order to keep the garden in order. Re-invent a tool that gardener use such as a watering can or a cutter or a garden decorative object such a chime, a fountain, a pond, a statue, etc.
iTfRIV4.png
Join our Skype community group by adding me to your skype: LadyOdow . Please mention that you're from polycount or I will not accept you

Check out our Moodboard, where you can find useful information or idea, on our Pinterest Board !

Check out everything you need to know about color and light on our tips board
Check out final submission on our submission Pinterest Board !

AozL1eE.png
- March 2015 [ Ireland ]
- April 2015 [ Easter Fantasy, The RPG ]

Replies

• Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I hope you like this month theme, I think it's going to be a great practice since we, handpainters, tends to stick to fantasy medieval. Now we need to learn to do rubber, plastic, metal and stuff like that :)
  • Uberren
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 9
    I'll try and find some time this month to put something together for this theme. Sounds really fun :)
  • bkost
    Offline / Send Message
    bkost interpolator
    Uberren wrote: »
    I'll try and find some time this month to put something together for this theme. Sounds really fun :)

Heck yeah, same here man :D
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    These are all my opinions btw

"Because they destroyed almost every living plants on earth, the few that they were able to bring with them in space were highly modified with technology or mixed with alien species."

For characters. I don't like that you just put "Characters - Must be space gardener alien or etc. " There could be a space-garden scarecrow which wards of space-garden-five-eyed-crows , or just pigeons , whatever.

I don't like how you say a broad themee with a back story but then say this MUST be this. Characters MUST be gardeners. Environments MUST have metal ( Are you stupid? To not do it?)

Wildstar for example , the housing system was surrounded by some metal , true but it was mostly encapsuled by a force-field dome.
  • Digipyro
    Offline / Send Message
    Digipyro polycounter lvl 7
    Francois_K wrote: »
    These are all my opinions btw

"Because they destroyed almost every living plants on earth, the few that they were able to bring with them in space were highly modified with technology or mixed with alien species."

For characters. I don't like that you just put "Characters - Must be space gardener alien or etc. " There could be a space-garden scarecrow which wards of space-garden-five-eyed-crows , or just pigeons , whatever.

I don't like how you say a broad theme with a back story but then say this MUST be this. Characters MUST be gardeners. Environments MUST have metal ( Are you stupid? To not do it?)

Wildstar for example , the housing system was surrounded by some metal , true but it was mostly encapsulated by a force-field dome.

I actually think it's a great theme, been waiting and looking forward to this months one and will spend A LOT of time on mine ( starting with collecting references) I think even when you as a character fanatic would be restricted to a gardener would still have seas of freedom to do what you want/like while sticking within the theme.
  • Mallaria
    Offline / Send Message
    Mallaria polycounter lvl 4
    Uuuuu i love it!Im so going to participate! :D
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I NEVER said it was going to be a broad theme every time i said Sometime it would be broad sometime it would be stricter. Just like here "Each month we'll provide a thematic , it could be large or it could be stricter" But since apparently you just jump to the theme section.. :)

Yes this month it's a space gardener but it's kind REALLY broad too, A scarecrow for example is a kind of gardener it's job is to protect the garden from bird, but then again in an interior space ship garden I really doubt they introduce a species of bird that will savage everything they work for, isn't it ? But it could be a different sort of scarecrow, a scarebug ! for informative bug ! For example my space gardener is going to be a space prince who grow a private garden for his princess! (I always wanted to do a space fairytale haha)

Gardener doesn't mean your character has to look like that
    9826761-Portrait-of-senior-man-gardening-Stock-Photo-gardener.jpg It could be ANYTHING, from a giant spider with 8 arms each serving a purpose toward it's job, to a water elemental that sprinkle the flower with water every-time it sneezes. I think it's really broad, You just need imagination and a bit of concept to make it awesome. A strict theme would be " a gardener wearing a metal straw hate, with a cannibal flower on it, with a space combinaison and rubber boot, He also needs a big nose" If you can't design something original by yourself i suggest you team up with a concept artist :)

Also don't forget the garden is on a space ship, not on a planet. Wildstar have habitable planet, but it would be much different than doing a human garden, which is boring. This is a spaceship garden, that's why they need to be apparent trace of it BEING a spaceship, it doesn't rain on spaceship you need a system to water the plant. There's not direct sunlight either, maybe your ship is equipped with a powerful uv light system or maybe they stay in orbit around a sun.

Edited to take out anything that may create unwanted drama.
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Odow wrote: »
    tl:dr Read everything next time instead of cross-reading and making assumption, your lack of ability to design doesn't mean it's the same for everyone :)

Nice. :)

I said my opinion and reading your paragraph I was like "okay, alright then" but the last part was completely uncalled for.
    There are people in the previous Monthly character things who said their part as well and they didn't get called out for for their "inability" to design and they didn't participate in the monthly either.
    So why do I get this.

I get it , I didn't read properly.
    There's no need to be nasty about it.
  • lenahbop
    Recently joined Polycount to get some inspiration for 3D art and I was so inspired by the past Art Jams! I'm going to try and participate in this month because I love the theme!! Can't wait! :D
  • Uberren
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's not spoil the thread with fighting before anyone's even posted any art yet :(
  • Kamezis
    Offline / Send Message
    Kamezis polycounter lvl 4
    I want to see great art coming from this Art Jam :D
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I'm sorry if it seems rude to you, it wasn't my goal, I understand that the part " you lack of ability to design" sound like a personal attack, it was not, I didn't re-read my post and when i wrote it, it was clear for me but yes it is true that now that i re-read it, it can be read as an insult.

I was only trying to said that the subject is really broad with a bit of searching and imagination, and there was no base for his post to begin with. Some people are good designer other aren't it's not a shame, that's why concept artist exist !

A lot of people are/where hype for this month theme and this thread is starting to go offshore with highschool melodrama ( I erased everything that may sound rude and i suggest you do the same, it's only bad publicity for everyone and for the artjam, no one love drama). Let's stop it right now, Again It wasn't my goal to sound rude, i apologize and i'll be more careful and make sure my sentences doesn't have 2 meaning next time :)

Let's all concentrated on making beautiful art from now on and hugs each others.

lenahbop Yeah :D I'm glad it does, welcome aboard ! Don't be shy. we rarely yap like this and we certainly don't bite :P
  • PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    You have really inspired when I saw the Zen Garden bit. I'll put a concept together soon. For environment. Sounds really cool. I am going to aim at doing something incredibly minimal. I want to focus on an environment where people relax and meditate from their hard duty in space.
  • ChillyWalrus
    My humble contribution. At least the beginning of it. Thought I should start small.. so a prop it is! And I had the idea about a wandering flower-pot..

wandering%20pot_zps5forzoq0.png
  • pendekar
    nice thread, i like it
    g.png
  • Mallaria
    Offline / Send Message
    Herro!
    Ive been working on her today, this time im going to make only textures, and maybe her "shovel" thingy. This character is too ambitious for me, as im a total noob yet :3 Sooo i call it a co-op between me and my boyfriend who wanted to model nice girl with nice boobs :D

Im no good with sci-fi theme, so if you have any comments about concept or any advice, it would be highly appriciated :)
    Shes going to have a hair made of "bushY" leafs xD carry a water bottle wit her to rinse flowers and stuff :3 Hope you guys like it :D

RDxllIX.png
  • cgartland
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland polycounter lvl 4
    @Mallaria: Great Concept, if you want to push it more into sci fi I would mimic the shovel head details some where in the costume. Also maybe make her other props more high tech
  • Uberren
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now I'm gonna focus on doing a prop, which is this cylindrical hydroponics garden:
    ArDiqFD.jpg

My incomplete blockout for that:
    wDEiVjB.png

I also have another blockout of a small, indoors environment if I have the time:
    w7YtJOX.png
    43p7Fck.png
  • fluor
    Offline / Send Message
    fluor polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome topic! I'm going to work on the character challenge this month though... not sure I'll get to do something for the artjam > 0<

Great concept, Mallaria! So cute! I agree with cgartland. Maybe you could incorporate those tubes in her outfit... for the water bottle or even give her some kind of tank?! And I'm not sure I'm a fan of the suspenders >_o Would love to see a 3d version of her!

Uberren, those look pretty cool! curious to see where this goes
  • lenahbop
    @Mallaria such a cute character concept!! I really like the details on the shovel, they would look great incorporated into other parts of the design? Also I was wondering how you're going to go about doing the hair? :D It's adorable!
  • ChillyWalrus
    I think I'm done with the modeling itself. I did my best unwrapping it. But since this is my first real thing I'm not so sure about that. So is this done alright? I tried to minimize all distortions and I tried to give the big surfaces a little more space in comparison to the small ones.. since you get to see them more.

walking_pot_3.jpg
    wandering_pot_checker.JPG
    wandering_pot_uv.jpg

I'd be very happy about any advice.
  • Mallaria
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!
    Im going to take your advice and will incorporate shovel elements in her outfit :) I think its a great idea, im really no good with sci-fi stuff :D
    @lenahbop My idea was to use Alpha on plains and do something like i saw in Wildstar on bushes xD Since i want her to have hair like that, i think it might work. im not sure :) We will see :D
    3nVdqcA.png

btw. This game is fabulous. i enter this game mostly to looks all that hand-paint heaven that its going on there :D
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry for the lack of presence, new job and i'm sick like hell, stupid laryngithingy =w=

@Chillywalrus What a great idea, i'm looking foward to see it complete it really look nice !

@ren Pretty *_* Now i really want to do a water garden too. the cylindrical thingy is really awesome too does it actually work or is it just a concept ?

@Mallaria. yes yes and yes. You character is so cute ! :3 I love the suspender. also i totally agree i played wildstar just to take screenshot haha

As soon as i'm not sick anymore i'm going to start owrking on this
  • Mallaria
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys!
    Updating my concept, my bf started to work on her already, so im hoping for some fast result, and me painting textures ^^
    If someone is interested in making her too, it would be awesome! :D
    im posting updated version and also front and side view
    IUNCbtq.png
    YVuqAfB.png
  • Greg Westphal
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    Really liking the pieces in here so far. Supping to this thread for sure.
  • oxygencube
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    @Mallaria Love the concept! Fun accessories as well. I know she is completely stylized but man her waist is small and hips/thighs are huge in comparison to her head. I'm sure it's intentional but my two cents would be to tone it down a bit. Otherwise, FANTASTIC.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Don't forget she's an alien, not necessary need human proportion ^-^ I think she looks awesome like that !
  • fluor
    Offline / Send Message
    fluor polycounter lvl 6
    yeeep I agree with Odow!
    I also think her proportions look quite charming and would keep em just like that :3
  • Digipyro
    Offline / Send Message
    Digipyro polycounter lvl 7
    I really like the concept too, seems very close to the wildstar characters so well done. Looking forward to the 3D model.
  • Mallaria
    Offline / Send Message
    @oxygencube Thanks! You're right it was intentional :) I appreciate your comment, but i dont think i will change her proportions in the end, for me she looks cute as she is now ^^
    @Odow @Fluor @Digipyro Thanks! its really awesome to read comments like that, make me wanna work twice as hard :D!

And tiny update, shes headless for now ;p
    sjOS8rG.jpg
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I wish i had a boyfriend that could make me character to texturized too. Wanna try to paint a character so badly :<
  • Mallaria
    Offline / Send Message
    @Odow if you want i can lend you this character to practice painting characters once its finish :)
    my first character i painted was goblin from polycount, someone posted mesh, so people can practice xD this one will be my third after Bunny from previous artjam, hahah
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Odow wrote: »
    I wish i had a boyfriend that could make me character to texturized too. Wanna try to paint a character so badly :<

Uh oh... I am the opposite. I can make low poly stuff without much trouble if someone would just texture it for me, ROFL !!
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    that's what i'm going for ^-^

Once upon a future, humanity became terrible being that destroy and steel everything they can in order for them to survive until they find a proper planet for their kin. All the master ships separated their-self in order to increase their chance of surviving, some became utopia, other returns to monarchy.

There was once, a prince of the 386th intergalactic human fleet who fell in love with an alien princess. He could not save her ship, nor the people in it, nor could he bring her back to her planet but at least he managed to save her by bringing him in the human ship. Trying to proves his love to her, he try is best to build a metal garden that would made her remember her planet.

NeMzg6J.jpg
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Here's a flashy announcement that's going to burn your eyes regarding next month theme:
    w8UR29z.png
    As demanded by members, Next Month Theme is going to be choose Randomly and Anonymously !

Each of you is invited to answer this survey
    => https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/F2TTK9B <=
    and add up to three theme.

On may 30th the theme will be selected by the randomizer and reveal on may 31th or June 1. You free to choose a specific or a really open theme. You don't need to choose something that fit with june, it can be anything! You have 2 weeks so take your time to think about it!

• However, try to not make it specific to a fandom, for example if you want Harry Potter, it would be better to say " Wizard School" as not everyone know harry potter.
    • There won't be any sub-indication of what to do for the props/enviro/character, the theme is going to be the theme
    • Also nothing indecent ;)

Also if there's any issue with the theme choose by the randomizer ( Such a something too specific or something not appropriate) a vote will be done on Skype to decide what to do (if we keep it, if we make small change to it or if we randomize again)

**Also don't forget your theme need to be doable as Props, Character and environment. For example, "baby blue and pink ducks" isn't a proper theme since most people who have no idea what to do, however "Duck" or "bird" would be okayish since the environment could be base on where they live.

Please do not talk about what theme you add here as we don't want this post to be polluted, if you really want to discuss it do it on skype, although it would be funnier if no one has a clue of what other people add.
  • Mallaria
    Offline / Send Message
    slight update, face is almost finished, any c&C? :)
    UZjYTok.jpgb
  • Mallaria
    Offline / Send Message
    Body is done, now to unwrap and texturing, in the meantime my bf is going to model rest of her stuff :D
    mcgeHhW.jpg
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Lovely, can we see some wires? Is she totally box modelled?
  • Mallaria
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fenyce
    Yeah, totally box modeled :)
    and here is a wireframe
    CPEGVyT.png
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Looking nice !, However maybe her ribs are slightly too inside It think it would only help the curvy silhouette to move them a bit outside.

On my side i'm going nowhere, Everything was so clear in my head but the blockin is so ugly :@ i need to rethink the entire design of the room.
  • Mallaria
    Offline / Send Message
    @Odow, thanks, i will see what can do, since i already started texturing her :)

its a shame this month almost noone is participating :c

heres progress, cant wait for all the nice assets she have
    rzTNUIN.png
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Well it's Finals month :( people are busy with their own project.

I loved her hair and face so pretty <3 (well everything is pretty but those hairs attrack my eyes so much haha !
  • darkmag07
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    I wanted to do something, but life got in the way again this month for me. :\

Awesome progress so far Mallaria!
  • lenahbop
    I really really wanted to do something this month but work projects got in the way :(

@Mallaria I love the character so far! The hair is so bright and good quality!
  • Mallaria
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone :) there's much more to be done, i want to make her a real beauty, for portfolio. I would like to call myself one day texture artist xD But ugh so much before me, since im no good when it comes to realistic textures :(

I actually had no idea that finals are now xD but that actually explains a lot ;p
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Mallaria, I guess you're on a good way, just keep practicing! (And look at reference fotos)
    Love what you have so far, interessting color choice, but I'd work out a little more contrast, especially when it comes to the jacket and skin.
    And I know that feeling, realistic materials are hard to dooo... and I think stylized stuff is so much more fun to do ;P
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Mallaria wrote: »
    I would like to call myself one day texture artist xD

I learn that this is a bad idea, almost no one in game company employ only "texture artist" they need people who can uv and model too. The only place where i saw texture artist was in movie company or in the FX department for the cinematic. Job were you can do handpaint ask you to be able to do everything from A to Z
  • Mallaria
    Offline / Send Message
    @Fenyce Thanks! :)) I will definitely work on that :) I tend to correct color in the end since its easier to paint on whole texture than just on one uv island, and be bother with seams. Although that might be bad idea xD
    I dont have any good workflow yet with paitning textures.:D
    Stylized stuff ftw!

@Odow Youre right, almost noone wants texture artist. mostly generalists get jobs ; _;
    (or character modeler, or whatnot :P )
    Buuuttttttttt......Thats not a problem! xD im already a 2D Graphic, character designer mostly and ilustrator in my current job, Im learning 3D now too. actually im mostly focusing on 3D for now :D 3D & 2D combination. uhuhu the best combination <3
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    June artjam is going to be up tomorrow >< had no time tonight sorry !