Noobs and Character Artists can have their challenge, so do we! However we've decide on keeping it simple and friendly, and instead of making it a challenge, we're making it an Art Jam. A place where Handpainter can exchange technique, critique and tricks.We welcome any cartoon concept artist that would like to join us too !
Each month we'll provide a thematic , it could be large or it could be stricter. There will be 3 categories: Props, character and environment. You're welcome to enter them all if you want ! You can also enter in the same category more than once. We also encourage tiling texture in the "props category"
"May, the beautiful month where all the flowers bloom (except in Canada, In Canada we still have snow ofc it's canada what where you expecting ?) But seriously, We had enough of green with Ireland so this month... WE'RE GOING INTO SPACEEEEEE *TUNTUNTUNTUN* Year 132 of the new Era, The humanity was forced into space "To Infinity and Beyond!" because of their stupidity. They created ships were humanity could live until they found a new habitable planet to pollute. Because they destroyed almost every living plants on earth, the few that they were able to bring with them in space were highly modified with technology or mixed with alien species. It's been over a millennium that humanity has left the Earth, who know what it looks like now, maybe they encountered many aliens species that now cohabited. May the forth be with you"
- There's no restriction on the software or technique you use. You're a free to use brush and bake map. Our goal here is to get better and share workflow. We won't accept any war between oldschool and newschool and what is handpaint.
- The use of photo is strictly forbidden.
- The use of heavily photobash brush is also forbidden. Remember the goal here is to PAINT.
- The final output should only use diffuse, alpha and glow map. No Normal, spec or bump is allowed on the model itself. However using those map as a base for your painting is allowed.
- This is an Art jam so don't use existing stuff, there's no point in it. Re-using asset is tolerate to a certain point, use your good sense.
- Everything have to be your work, no stealing. Collab are allowed as long as your teammates are part of polycount !
- You have to post WIP of your work, the main goal of this, is to learn, so no final product only.
- We encourage you to post your texture map as well as the model
- If you participate, you have to post at least a critique on someone else work.
In honour of the month of May, our theme will be:
Space Gardener ! Any garden needs its Gardener, human, robotic or alien. Try to make it look like someone or something who's job is to take care of the garden.
Create a space garden, it can be any type of garden you want, even an aquatic or a Zen garden, you just need to make it futuristic (if there's no metal in your garden then you didn't understand the challenge). Don't forget that the garden is inside a spaceship. You can make it a beautiful secret place or a technological food farm, it's your choice ! The plants need to be either fake techno ones, cross species or highly genetically modified earth's species or alien species.
2 Choices here
1- Some people like to have a flower pot or a small tree in their apartments, create a small inside plants. Make it original it could be an alien plant that wakes you up in the morning or a plant that lay egg for your breakfast who knows ?!
2- Space Gardener need some hardcore tools in order to keep the garden in order. Re-invent a tool that gardener use such as a watering can or a cutter or a garden decorative object such a chime, a fountain, a pond, a statue, etc.
Join our Skype
community group by adding me to your skype: LadyOdow . Please mention that you're from polycount or I will not accept you
Check out our Moodboard, where you can find useful information or idea, on our Pinterest Board !
Check out everything you need to know about color and light on our tips board
Check out final submission on our submission Pinterest Board
- March 2015
- April 2015
[ Easter Fantasy, The RPG