Home Technical Talk

Maya Shell modifier available now!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
kidintwo3 polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys,
I recently finished my Shell Modifier v2.0 for Maya.
It's available now on Gumroad.

https://vimeo.com/141424223

https://gumroad.com/l/shellmodv2

Greet,
Janos

"this old post header was edited to reflect the new ShellMod v2.0"

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very cool. I love how you handled the profile curve editing, as it looks much more intuitive than having to pick a spline in the scene.
    Maya users : welcome to 10 years ago ! You're going to love it ;)
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    o hell yea, i'll install it when i get to work today. thanks for helping improve this dumptruck. good man! please keep writing good tools for maya if ya can, its much appreciated.
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :) Yes, definitely more stuff coming in the pipe
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Thumbs Up! Great Job
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    kidintwo3 wrote: »
    Thanks guys! :) Yes, definitely more stuff coming in the pipe

This is sweet, any chance of doing something like a renderable curve similar to Max? I know there's a method using paint FX, but something similar that can be quickly created on the fly would be cool :)
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    This is sweet, any chance of doing something like a renderable curve similar to Max? I know there's a method using paint FX, but something similar that can be quickly created on the fly would be cool :)

I already have a prototype for just like that, I made a while.
    There are bunch of videos of prototypes on my Vimeo page you can check. If there's a demand for these than they might come out of the beta stage too. :cool:

https://vimeo.com/109830660

J
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    Does it work for Maya LT?
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca wrote: »
    Does it work for Maya LT?

As far as I know Maya LT doesn't support loading 3rd party plugins. According to the offical Autodesk Maya documentations.

http://www.autodesk.com.au/products/maya/compare/compare-products
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    What is this sorcery
  • eltarbos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eltarbos polycounter lvl 7
    Looks good and the price is fair.
    Do you have plans for a maya 2014 release?
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eltarbos wrote: »
    Looks good and the price is fair.
    Do you have plans for a maya 2014 release?

Thanks!
    Yes I'll update the zip file in the coming days with. Maya 2014 and Hopefully Linux versions too. So if anyone already purchased can download the updated zip.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    pior wrote: »
    Maya users : welcome to 10 years ago ! You're going to love it ;)

Aaaahhhhhhh it feels like I have running water for the first time!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Torch i managed to get a solution for a renderable curve working pretty good using paintFX
    pbRenderableCurve

But yeah in the long run to have one that is implemented as its own maya node via the c++ api would be most ideal
  • eltarbos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eltarbos polycounter lvl 7
    kidintwo3 wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Yes I'll update the zip file in the coming days with. Maya 2014 and Hopefully Linux versions too. So if anyone already purchased can download the updated zip.

Cool!
    then I will probably give it a try.
    Your rope tool and spline instancer look interresting also. Are you going to sell them?
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Bought. Maya 2014 update would be most welcome though.

Been showing ppl at work your videos, we could certainly use them!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Seconded here. Didn't realize this wouldn't run with Maya 2014, and my education license is only with 2014. I can rent the 2015, but that's only when I do have work :/
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seconded here. Didn't realize this wouldn't run with Maya 2014, and my education license is only with 2014. I can rent the 2015, but that's only when I do have work :/

Win 2014 added. Give it a try!
  • ponjarphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ponjarphy polycounter lvl 5
    Looks so useful, I will properly buy it sometime soon.
    But my god I would give my right arm for that renderable spline / rope plugin.
    I need it so often!
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Excellent! At the right price as well.
    Thanks!
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Looks nice, will probably pick it up later.
    Is there currently any way to get it to auto-crease the relevant edges? That would really make it alot more useful for me, for working on shells to send to Zbrush.
  • battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    Picked it up. already saved me a lot of time and paid for itself. Thx
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you! Definitely worth the money!
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the support guys!
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    very cool, i will be grabbing this tonight!
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Oh my god yes, finally! Thank you so much!
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    The feeling of freedom, it is glorious! Thank you for this tool. To be honest I think it costs too little. I couldn't find a way to "pay more" on Gumroad, but I would gladly pay $25 for it. Does Gumroad allow multiple tiers or "pay more if you want" option? If so, you should consider it.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought you can type in the price you want pay.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    So yeah this is pretty cool, a couple things that bother me though:

1. The lack of support for creases is kinda ruining it for me, as I use them alot.
    It should at least keep the creases from my original surface, and ideally it should have options to add creases to the relevant edges (the surface's border and the other sides's border), that would be great.

2. It would be nice if the shell object kept the same shader as the original, currently it seems to always set it to lambert1?

3. Instead of having a "Smooth Mesh Preview" check box, it would be alot more interactive if you just used the real Smooth Mesh attributes of the original shape, and kept both objects synchronized, this would alow users to keep using their regular shortcuts (like 1,2,3 by default, or myself I have just one key that toggles mode 1 and 3).

Great work anyways!
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    DireWolf wrote: »
    I thought you can type in the price you want pay.
    The Name Fair Price was not available when I ordered it, but is there now. How odd. :(
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal wrote: »
    So yeah this is pretty cool, a couple things that bother me though:

1. The lack of support for creases is kinda ruining it for me, as I use them alot.
    It should at least keep the creases from my original surface, and ideally it should have options to add creases to the relevant edges (the surface's border and the other sides's border), that would be great.

2. It would be nice if the shell object kept the same shader as the original, currently it seems to always set it to lambert1?

3. Instead of having a "Smooth Mesh Preview" check box, it would be alot more interactive if you just used the real Smooth Mesh attributes of the original shape, and kept both objects synchronized, this would alow users to keep using their regular shortcuts (like 1,2,3 by default, or myself I have just one key that toggles mode 1 and 3).

Great work anyways!

These ideas are great I'll see what I can implement in future updates!
    Btw. if anyone have similar request, please do so.
  • Denny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny polycounter lvl 14
    When you apply the custom curve I assume that you divide the X axis by the amount of segments and query the Y values right? I think the edgeloops could be better placed by dividing the length of the curve by segments instead.

See image for what I mean.

Edit*
    LOL at my midnight writing in the screenshot. "Spread is spread" :P
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denny wrote: »
    When you apply the custom curve I assume that you divide the X axis by the amount of segments and query the Y values right? I think the edgeloops could be better placed by dividing the length of the curve by segments instead.

See image for what I mean.

Edit*
    LOL at my midnight writing in the screenshot. "Spread is spread" :P

That's a great idea. I'll see if I can implement it. Although it sounds easy it's actually tricky to do it in the API :)

btw. the option to keep the material of the source mesh is already implemented (so you'll definitely see that in the next update). The thing I want to focus now is the "3" key shortcut for the smooth mesh. I'll keep you guys posted here once I have some progress.
  • Mayalicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mayalicious polycounter lvl 8
    Hello! First of all thanks for this fantastic plugin. I have just bought it but it doesnt work on my pc. I am using maya 2016 x64 on win 8.1 x64 and when i try to load the plugin it gives "Error: line 1: The specified module could not be found. (shellMod)" error. What can be the problem?
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! First of all thanks for this fantastic plugin. I have just bought it but it doesnt work on my pc. I am using maya 2016 x64 on win 8.1 x64 and when i try to load the plugin it gives "Error: line 1: The specified module could not be found. (shellMod)" error. What can be the problem?

I'll put a new build tonight, with some new features (smooth mesh shortcut "3" key, copying the source material to the output mesh, better intersection handling etc.), that will fix the module not found errors too. So hang tight!
  • Mayalicious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mayalicious polycounter lvl 8
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shellmod Updates:

v1.10

- Removed Smooth Mesh Preview button. Instead you can just press "3" to switch to the subD view like you would normally do.

- When applying the shellMod modifier, now it will automatically apply the source meshes material instead of the default Lambert.

- Better mesh intersection handling.

- Fixed "The specified module could not be found." error (If you still get it PM me)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Just tried the new version, for some reason when I'm in the smooth-preview mode, I can't do any transform operations (move, rotate, scale) they just move a bit then stop, works fine when it's off, or on meshes without the ShellMod.
    Testing it on Maya 2014x64.

Tiny minor nitpick, it would be nice if the "Smooth Mesh Subdiv" would synch both ways with the shape's "Preview Division Levels", at the moment it only synchs when using the value in the ShellMod (I use shortcuts to increase/decrease it on the fly, but they don't apply to the shell shape).
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just tried the new version, for some reason when I'm in the smooth-preview mode, I can't do any transform operations (move, rotate, scale) they just move a bit then stop, works fine when it's off, or on meshes without the ShellMod.
    Testing it on Maya 2014x64.

Tiny minor nitpick, it would be nice if the "Smooth Mesh Subdiv" would synch both ways with the shape's "Preview Division Levels", at the moment it only synchs when using the value in the ShellMod (I use shortcuts to increase/decrease it on the fly, but they don't apply to the shell shape).

Hey thanks for the feedback. Yes I noticed that too. Unfortunately that's a Maya bug I think. If you switch to viewport 2.0, it should work just fine (It works fine in 2015 and 2016 ). The other syncing can be addressed.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Indeed, Viewport 2.0 fixes it, weird... Well, all the more reason to demand an upgrade to Maya 2016 at work then I guess.
    Thanks. :)
  • tsungyuw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tsungyuw polycounter lvl 8
    great tool, any chance to compile a maya 2015 2016 linux version plugin ?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Maya2015 I'm getting: "Error: Wrong number of arguments on call to AEshellModNodeTemplate."

I've loaded the plugin and sourced AEshellModNodeTemplate.mel and that's what I get whenever I run "AEshellModNodeTemplate"

edit: didn't realize you had an instructional video, that'd be a great great link in the readme.
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Maya2015 I'm getting: "Error: Wrong number of arguments on call to AEshellModNodeTemplate."

I've loaded the plugin and sourced AEshellModNodeTemplate.mel and that's what I get whenever I run "AEshellModNodeTemplate"

edit: didn't realize you had an instructional video, that'd be a great great link in the readme.

Thanks for the heads up! Added!

Btw. There's a Facebook page now for upcoming plugins / features.
    https://www.facebook.com/creativecasepage
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    In Maya 201x64, your modifier doesn't seem to work anymore on meshes that have no UVs (it creates a transform but no mesh, or in some cases it seems to even crash Maya).
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    That's what you get for using a Maya Version that's over 1800 years old ! :poly121:
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Woops, yeah, that's Maya 2014x64, damn you rebb!
  • kidintwo3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Maya 201x64, your modifier doesn't seem to work anymore on meshes that have no UVs (it creates a transform but no mesh, or in some cases it seems to even crash Maya).

Good call. I'll look into it!

Edit:
    Update v1.16 fixes this issue
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    You're a legend. Shellmod is great!

If you're looking for any new features, one thing I'd love to have is Crease support propogate from the control mesh onto the shell mesh (Edit Mesh->Crease Tool). Coming from 3ds Max and Zbrush, I use it a lot to control hard and soft Sub-D edges, so this could help a lot with my hardsurface workflow :D

[oops, Bal said this exact same thing already :poly122:]
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Heck, I'll third the support for crease edges.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I just bought the plugin to try it out. I'm using Maya 2016 and I crash in less than 2 minutes. I'm testing it on simple and clean plane just by doing some edge extrude.

It looks quite easy to crash on my side :
    1 - select some edges
    2 - go to smooth preview
    3 - extrude
    4 - select some other edges

And then I crash.

Little video :
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7HKoBn-X3k[/ame]
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8