Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] Space Shooter (Working Title)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
.Wiki polycounter lvl 8
Hey fellow polycounters. Beside my work and my masterthesis i´m working on a small unity game.

wnqpxcb5.jpg

It´s a 3d space shooter shown from a top-down perspective. I´m currently working on the game mechanics and multiplayer functionality. At the moment i´m using photon as my network service but Unity 5 should get some new networking system so i guess i will switch to the new one when it´s out :).

I started to learn programming with c# for this project. My programming skills are worse but some of the mechanics already work :). If you pick up a container it gets spawned behind you (but only if you fly the utilitycraft, the fighter cannot carry containers). The container will contribute to your ships mass so it will be harder to control!

The game will have a "capture the flag" game mode, but in this case its a "capture the container" mode ;).

Most of the models are created as highpoly meshes in softimage. Only the asteroids are modeled in zBrush. Currently the backgrounds are from the asset store (except of the planets) but i want to create some by hand later :).

All normal, ao and cavitymaps we´re created using xNormal.

I painted the textures at my workplace with mari which made the process really easy.

In Unity i´m currently using the "old" shaders, i don´t want to adapt this to the new "standard" shader because i want to keep the stylized look.

tdszrb7x.jpg
m8rcf9ri.jpg
d8vytp9p.jpg
26uibsi3.jpg
kt3aylv6.jpg
nedlxzfq.jpg
g28w3ilr.jpg
mj778zxr.jpg
tysiuokr.jpg

Replies

• NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    This is looking great so far, I love the clean textures. On a side note, you should still be able to have a stylized art style if you use the standard shader, you would just need to change the way you make some of your textures. It's not a big deal though, I would say don't worry about it if you already created a large amount of materials using legacy shaders as it would be very time consuming to convert everything.

I subscribed to the thread, hopefully there will be more updates soon!
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    I feel like the meteors are in a different style than the ships and floating stuff. I would love to see the rocks be more of that hand painted style with large blockings of color. It would make it feel much more consistent as well.
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    nickcomeau wrote: »
    I feel like the meteors are in a different style than the ships and floating stuff. I would love to see the rocks be more of that hand painted style with large blockings of color. It would make it feel much more consistent as well.
    Yeah i guess there is too much noise in this texture.
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Here is a new project update :)

I´m trying to work with the new unity 5 networking tools at the moment. First i converted all of my existing assets to unity 5 which was really easy.

I´ve also rewritten some of my old scripts. The graphics are still 3D, but the gameplay is now handled in 2D.

Today i´ve managed to get the Ship Thrusters working over the network. Below is a screenshot with one ship rotating, you can see that the ship thruster displays on all 3 clients :).

k8ishrzb.jpg

Now i need some cool animations for the ships when they rotate or thrust :)
  • remotecrab131
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 5
    Damn I wanted to make a game like this. Keep up the good work and maybe we can collab in da future.
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Yesterday i took a small video with 2 clients over the network :) The movement is not interpolated at the moment.

But i´m really happy that the animations are shown over the network and that all of the objects appear at their correct positions.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIVxEYNQ4JA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIVxEYNQ4JA[/ame]
  • Matt_Billeci
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
    Damn, digging this art style dude! The thing that throws me off though, it everything sort of has stripes within their textures. I think it totally works for the planets and some of the ships, but not so much on the rocks.
  • remotecrab131
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 5
    If you can paint the texture artistically, then you can completely abandon normal map, if it's taking lots of your time.

The video of the in-engine play very well. Nicely done!
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    If you can paint the texture artistically, then you can completely abandon normal map, if it's taking lots of your time.
    Yeah i´m not that good in painting at the moment. Thats why i sculpted the asteroids as high res meshes in zBrush. I´m going to change the texture later to get rid of those stripes :).

Currently i´m doing a lot of scripting to get some basic singleplayer gameplay done and after hat i will continue with the multiplayer mode. But since i´ve to write my master thesis i don´t have so much sparetime to work on this project.
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Yesterday i did a simple enemy ai script :) The ai is trying to chase the player. If it can´t find the player in a certain range it just flys around randomly until it finds the player. The actual flight direction, when flying around, is visualized with a red line.

To avoid collisions the ai ships have a trigger in front of them that detects asteroids, containers and other ships.

For this video the player is unvulnerable, otherwise the ai would have killed the player with 2 or 3 bursts :)

In the next to months i have to concentrate a bit more on my master thesis, but after that i will continue with this project :).

I want to add one big enemy ship with 2 or 3 turrets and static enemies like turrets.
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Haven´t posted in this thread for a while now.
    A few weeks ago i created a static enemy for my game.
    It´s a small turret.

• Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    That turret is so cool! And I love what you are going for. but personally I think your space is too dark, I am not a fan of very black space, even if it is more accurate. A thought I got would maybe to have a level in a nebula? Between two stars, space clouds and stuff. This would give you a lot more color and appeal to your game, as of now it looks quite, empty. And also, as said above, your asteroids need some love as they feel out of place.

But great job! I will follow this closely ^^   
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks. The background-texture is a free-one from the unity asset-store. Maybe i will create my own background in the future. I already changed the asteroids a bit, but the image in the first post is still the old one. But yeah with all the bump they looked really misplaced.
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Looks cool. I would tweak the contrasts though. Those planets in the background (that don't matter for gameplay) stand out more than the asteroids (that do).