Home General Discussion

Feeling hopeless.

I'm feeling extremely hopeless, and don't think i'll ever make it in the industry. Someone said there are only like 5000 jobs if that...

After talking to some professionals and watching this video [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owYaZ_cxNzI[/ame]

I sort of am in a panic. I don't know what to do or think to move ahead. All my motivation to move forward has just ceased.

do I stop while I'm ahead or do I just accept that I'll never work in the industry?

Portfolio is here www.robertjsage.com. please tell me it's terrible before beating around the bush and saying it's not lol.

that said, at 25 I think I'm way too old to "start" anything so Idk...

Please help...

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Don't worry, you're portfolio isn't up to snuff yet but you can get there in a year if you really put your nose to the grindstone. I started when I was 27, you're not too old. April 2016 you'll have a job or I'll find you and kick your butt, how's that for motivation?
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    i went to school at 24/25. graduated at 27. had an industry job at 28. just turned 30 last month.
    you're not too old to "start" anything.
    it's a competitive industry and sometimes forces a semi-nomadic lifestyle...but if you're good enough and keep trying you'll get a job.

i would be seriously skeptical of anybody tossing statistics around like "there are maybe only 1000 in-house jobs in the world". there's just nothing backing those kind of statements up..and it's true that schools are currently cranking out a lot of students - but a lot of them just aren't going to have the motivation to keep at the difficult job search for as long as it takes. most will drop off because it's just. not. easy.
    and at the end of the day it's a job. a real job - that requires real work and if your heart isn't really in it you just won't really last.

if you really want to do it don't let anybody discourage you. but don't be dishonest with yourself and chase a dream you don't really want.
  • N-gon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N-gon polycounter lvl 5
    This is one of those things where you always need to pick yourself up, and keep add it. kept asking, kept doing work, kept learning. take the time to take a good hard look at your work and see the bar it needs to be at and go for it. Remember all artists you look up too, or are very amazing sucked ass in the beginning. it seems to come down to working hard,never giving up when those rejection letters come and luck to a job lol
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    While it's true that our industry is small, part of that is that it's also young... it's consistently expanding even if it's at a slow pace.

Putting that aside for a second though, there's one thing that is almost a universal truth: working in this industry is a thing of passion. almost every job you can find in our industry is higher paid in other areas, with better benefits, and more stability... To work in this industry, you have to WANT it. You have to want it bad.

And if you do want it bad, you'll get there eventually, there are many avenues... it doesn't matter if you've not been to school for art or game design. I don't even have a high school equivalent grade in art, and i've been an artist in the industry for almost a decade. I've been programming for a year professionally for an amazing company, but that's a skill i never had previously... I taught myself the basics and they were willing to help me learn the rest. Now i'll grant that my current situation is a little strange (the guys i work for are some of the most progressive and outside of the box thinkers i've ever met), but that doesn't mean it can't happen to you! And more importantly, even if you don't get the same kind of break, if i can get work as an artist having no artistic qualifications outside of just knuckling down and getting it done, then so can you.

But you have to want it... And i think that's your current problem, not your skills, your drive and passion. Decide if you really want this, and if you do... Go get it!
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    The game industry is hard. Really hard.

But I stopped focusing on the "hard" part years ago. I only focus on making improvements.
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Many people have had the same feelings you are having right now. It's very important to realize that you can do it, it is not "hard". It just takes time, and proper practice.

I've never felt that doing art is hard, what is hard is life. Maintaining focus is quite challenging, especially as we get older and have more responsibilities and difficult experiences.

The reality is, if you continue to keep at it, you will get better at managing the feelings you are having right now.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Painting is all about the hour you put in. No matter what you feel, even if you're demotivated, as long as you keep painting you'll become better. Paint every day. Do quick speed paint every morning. Every afternoon. Every day before bed. Never stop.

Having the right mentor will speed up your learning so keep that in mind.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    As a practical step, why not provide your illustration skills to game teams looking for artists?

Check the Unpaid or Royalty sections of Polycount.

Check r/gamedevclassifieds

Literally make a game. Nothing is stopping you. This helps solve the catch 22 of needing experience to get an entry level job.

Also, what better way to prove you like making games by making a game?
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    The gaming industry is HARD. There is no doubt about it. I don't think you are too old though. I too, started late...I think I was 24ish when I went to art school and 27ish when I got my first gig. It's not too late at all for you. That being said, I think you need a lot of work fundamentally if you want to make it as a concept artist. You are on the right track though. If you want to do character concepts, start doing more anatomy studies, and go to life drawing sessions. If you want to do env concepts, study perspective and get into landscape studies, etc. I would recommend taking some online courses if you aren't sure how to approach some of these mediums further. It's way too early for you to give up though! Keep at it!
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry, you're portfolio isn't up to snuff yet but you can get there in a year if you really put your nose to the grindstone. I started when I was 27, you're not too old. April 2016 you'll have a job or I'll find you and kick your butt, how's that for motivation?

I just fear that yes, I will get better, but you're wrong about the job part.

needless to say thanks for the encouragement. :)

only way to get better is to work at it.
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a practical step, why not provide your illustration skills to game teams looking for artists?

Check the Unpaid or Royalty sections of Polycount.

Check r/gamedevclassifieds

Literally make a game. Nothing is stopping you. This helps solve the catch 22 of needing experience to get an entry level job.

Also, what better way to prove you like making games by making a game?

I'm working on one with some friends if that counts as experience?

can I put that on a resume?
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh wrote: »
    The gaming industry is HARD. There is no doubt about it. I don't think you are too old though. I too, started late...I think I was 24ish when I went to art school and 27ish when I got my first gig. It's not too late at all for you. That being said, I think you need a lot of work fundamentally if you want to make it as a concept artist. You are on the right track though. If you want to do character concepts, start doing more anatomy studies, and go to life drawing sessions. If you want to do env concepts, study perspective and get into landscape studies, etc. I would recommend taking some online courses if you aren't sure how to approach some of these mediums further. It's way too early for you to give up though! Keep at it!

very much noted. Still crippled with anxiety haha. I'm going to say for now that won't stop. but i'm at that point where I can just put it asside reading some of your comments.

That sounds exactly like my situation. 24 "I should become an illustrator" 25 start taking online classes for it.

is that common in the industry? quarterlife crisis deal?
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DireWolf wrote: »
    Painting is all about the hour you put in. No matter what you feel, even if you're demotivated, as long as you keep painting you'll become better. Paint every day. Do quick speed paint every morning. Every afternoon. Every day before bed. Never stop.

Having the right mentor will speed up your learning so keep that in mind.

true.

Where might I find a good mentor?
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN wrote: »
    The game industry is hard. Really hard.

But I stopped focusing on the "hard" part years ago. I only focus on making improvements.

is animation bigger? (i.e. is the film industry 'easier' to get into) I say this because i'd be just as happy doing both for the rest of my life.

Really my thing is just doing concept art for stories. if animation is bigger I might* just do side projects that involve games.

If it's the same size I might have another panic attack lol
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While it's true that our industry is small, part of that is that it's also young... it's consistently expanding even if it's at a slow pace.

Putting that aside for a second though, there's one thing that is almost a universal truth: working in this industry is a thing of passion. almost every job you can find in our industry is higher paid in other areas, with better benefits, and more stability... To work in this industry, you have to WANT it. You have to want it bad.

And if you do want it bad, you'll get there eventually, there are many avenues... it doesn't matter if you've not been to school for art or game design. I don't even have a high school equivalent grade in art, and i've been an artist in the industry for almost a decade. I've been programming for a year professionally for an amazing company, but that's a skill i never had previously... I taught myself the basics and they were willing to help me learn the rest. Now i'll grant that my current situation is a little strange (the guys i work for are some of the most progressive and outside of the box thinkers i've ever met), but that doesn't mean it can't happen to you! And more importantly, even if you don't get the same kind of break, if i can get work as an artist having no artistic qualifications outside of just knuckling down and getting it done, then so can you.

But you have to want it... And i think that's your current problem, not your skills, your drive and passion. Decide if you really want this, and if you do... Go get it!

Where do you work? lol I might apply there...(half serious)

I want it bad enough to do mastercopies at 3 AM despite having work at 6 and that's recent. doing the same thing tonight and drawing and painting with a friend on my day off tomorrow. - just an example.

regardless I'm really hoping you're right. I need that break somewhere.
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N-gon wrote: »
    This is one of those things where you always need to pick yourself up, and keep add it. kept asking, kept doing work, kept learning. take the time to take a good hard look at your work and see the bar it needs to be at and go for it. Remember all artists you look up too, or are very amazing sucked ass in the beginning. it seems to come down to working hard,never giving up when those rejection letters come and luck to a job lol

For sure.

Rejection letters suck. what sucks more is waiting for something and never hearing back.

I think that is what sparked my current anxiety, got rejection letter, let my mood get the better of me.

I'm calmer now. mostly because I'm drawing. just need to weigh my options, get more feedback and keep applying everywhere I can.
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

also I will hold you to this. This time next year, if I'm not still on this forum asking for feedback and improving you can yell at me lol
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    is animation bigger? (i.e. is the film industry 'easier' to get into) I say this because i'd be just as happy doing both for the rest of my life.

No, it's not. If anything, it's the opposite, especially for modeling/texturing roles.

There are fields like commercials, arch vis, legal animation, and other non-entertainment things that are a bit less competitive.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I started learning 3D for real like 2 yrs ago... Now I am 28.
    Still not in the industry yet. But I'm working on it :)
    It's not too late to start doing arts. When you get good at it, you get good at it. Period.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    25....too old....bahhh I'm too old!

I went back to uni to learn this stuff at 32, got my first gig at nearly 34, age is not a barrier to entry and you are still a pup so dont let that hold you back!

I can only echo all the other sentiments here, immerse yourself in your chosen trade and work like a bastard at it.

....now get the fuck off my lawn.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Where do you work? lol I might apply there...(half serious)

I want it bad enough to do mastercopies at 3 AM despite having work at 6 and that's recent. doing the same thing tonight and drawing and painting with a friend on my day off tomorrow. - just an example.

regardless I'm really hoping you're right. I need that break somewhere.

I work for Marmoset.

One thing to be mindful of is how quickly/easily you can burn out. If you already have a full-time or even a part-time job, then you may find that limiting the amount of time you practice your artwork actually yields better results. If you're already working 8 hours a day, you might be more productive only doing 2 hours of art in the evening, and then resting. It's a proven fact that prolonged periods of crunch are ineffective and destroy motivation.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    What has a number got to do with it? You might be too old (for some) if you have a mortgage and family to support, I'd understand that. If you're (relatively) commitment free then what's too old? You're not even legally required to declare age to an employer.

I'm working with 3 guys in their 30's and it's their first job.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Damn you Cubebrush! Once I start watching his stuff I cant stop, there goes another 2hours! Seriously though a vid like that should serve as inspiration instead of a downer. The vid shows what needs to be done to survive from your craft. I think what most people forget is the effort it takes to make art that is appealing. When I see a vid like the one you put here I am always struck by how clever the images are put together, how every element works in harmony to create that insanely effective appeal, which is extremely commercially interesting.

All art is good, but making kickbutt art that sells is a whole other story (cant say from personal experience yet :) ). The work I see on your site is not strong, its missing the principles found in cubebrush's vid. The best piece you have is the perspective one with the clip and the dude playing the ukelele, but what is the focus of the piece? What is the message? All your pieces need structure, design, composition and so on. The best thing you can do is get into life drawing classes, follow drawing workshops, watch clips like the one here and think a lot about why the art you admire is effective, look at folios (there is a great list here in GD) and ask yourself why the work is great.

Lastly, enjoy making strong art and progress more that not being an artistic success. This has nothing to do with age. I think it is about being in tune with a vibe, and I think that vibe can be learned just like an instrument, but you can only learn to play well if you enjoy playing more than you enjoy being a master musician.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Super wrote: »
    What has a number got to do with it? You might be too old (for some) if you have a mortgage and family to support, I'd understand that. If you're (relatively) commitment free then what's too old? You're not even legally required to declare age to an employer.

You make a very good point. Age, or the responsibilities that age brings certainly make it tough. I have three kids a wife and a rather demanding cat to look after:D

I'm not saying its easy by any means (changing career at any point is pretty bloody hard) but if you really want it you will find a way.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Dear Sagethethird,

What you feel is normal, most of us have encountered a phase where we feel we should be having a job, but have trouble knowing what to do to get that job...which makes us panic. But you are on the right track asking for help here.

Here's some tips :

-Breathe, relax, go run,
    drink tea or workout, you need to feel good about yourself right now because feeling shitty is useless : P, trust me I know.

You need to have the right mindset to focus well on your art.

-After that think about a career plan, what job are you aiming at (you seem to aim for illustration job)

-Breakdown what you need to have to get an interesting portfolio (3 - 4 impressive illustration pieces)

-Ask for crits, study every day, turn your weaknesses into your strengths.

You will make it, just give yourself some time and practice steadily, to get a job in concept or illustration field at this time(EDIT: sry just realized justin had said this already), it takes at least a year of serious painting, that means 40 hrs + per week, just like a job. Thats why they have 3-4 years programs in art schools. Proper routine will make you feel like you already reached your goal. Making a plan and putting it work is a success and achievement you can reach in a few days.

Good luck and hang in there, it is worth it!

p.s: not one cares about age : )
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    wizo wrote: »
    +1
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I enjoyed the "Screw motivation, what you need is discipline" article, damn good read.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't start at Epic until I was 30. You're fine.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang man, all ya'l late 20's, 30 somethings are putting me to shame. I'm 22, and I'm wracking my head over what ya'll we're doing before games, and being anxious about what a lifelong career in game development ends up really being.
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Here's a web page I made for folks, like yourself, who are feeling a bit lost. I hope it helps.

http://www.dustinbrown.com/getshitdone/

I found this few weeks ago, didn't had the chance to say thanks to his owner :) so thanks mate really cool stuff here
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Different people lead different lives which lead to them being exposed to 3D art earlier than others. They still have to spend a lot of time practicing regardless.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Yeah, just keep learning and working on your portfolio. Maybe have a certain position you have in mind and aim for that. Eventually, things will pick up and a lightbulb will pop up in your head. It definitely takes time, and it's different for everyone, but you'll be fine. Don't worry about age, just know what you want and go for it.
  • loggie24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loggie24 polycounter lvl 3
    It's tough man, extremely tough. Been doing art for about 3 years straight now, and i still feel like i have a metric ton more stuff to learn before i feel comfortable enough to start searching for a job. Been grinding, quitting, restarting, raging all those things x1000. Luckily though, i'm only 18 years old now so i feel like i have a lot of time compared to what you might think.
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo wrote: »
    Dear Sagethethird,

What you feel is normal, most of us have encountered a phase where we feel we should be having a job, but have trouble knowing what to do to get that job...which makes us panic. But you are on the right track asking for help here.

Here's some tips :

-Breathe, relax, go run,
    drink tea or workout, you need to feel good about yourself right now because feeling shitty is useless : P, trust me I know.

You need to have the right mindset to focus well on your art.

-After that think about a career plan, what job are you aiming at (you seem to aim for illustration job)

-Breakdown what you need to have to get an interesting portfolio (3 - 4 impressive illustration pieces)

-Ask for crits, study every day, turn your weaknesses into your strengths.

You will make it, just give yourself some time and practice steadily, to get a job in concept or illustration field at this time(EDIT: sry just realized justin had said this already), it takes at least a year of serious painting, that means 40 hrs + per week, just like a job. Thats why they have 3-4 years programs in art schools. Proper routine will make you feel like you already reached your goal. Making a plan and putting it work is a success and achievement you can reach in a few days.

Good luck and hang in there, it is worth it!

Man you just might have convinced me to go back to school.
  • pangaea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    @sagethethird, don't go back to school. Note if you watch all of Cubebrush videos he says not to go to school.

If you want 2D there is a lot online courses. 2d.masteracademy is a good one.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Whether OP goes back to school or not is his choice. I don't think school is completely useless but a lot of it has to do with how much work you put into it. What I did love about school is finding like minded artists and pushing each other to get better. If you can find that kind of a network without school, then I think it's totally fine to just do online tutorials and courses to learn the subject matter. I have been fortunate to always have fellow artists to push me to become better. Even now, I have a select few buddies in the industry that I cosntanly bounce stuff off of for feedback and vice versa. I think that really helps to push me to do personal work outside of my job.
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano wrote: »
    Yeah, just keep learning and working on your portfolio. Maybe have a certain position you have in mind and aim for that. Eventually, things will pick up and a lightbulb will pop up in your head. It definitely takes time, and it's different for everyone, but you'll be fine. Don't worry about age, just know what you want and go for it.

I think you're right, and it's many lightbulbs that should go off.

I think if I think of it as just one moment and everything clicks that's what gets me panicked. because I've had many little ones, which is good.

got to thinking about that today.
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a web page I made for folks, like yourself, who are feeling a bit lost. I hope it helps.

http://www.dustinbrown.com/getshitdone/

thank you sir for making that page. :)

lots of great stuff to think about.
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea wrote: »
    @sagethethird, don't go back to school. Note if you watch all of Cubebrush videos he says not to go to school.

If you want 2D there is a lot online courses. 2d.masteracademy is a good one.

yes! been taking those.

though only took one class so far.
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    I didn't start at Epic until I was 30. You're fine.

i hope.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stop worrying so much and get to work. :) The time spent fretting is time that could be spent getting better.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sagethethrid: Are you also worried about figuring out how to balance work w/ this game art focus? Or finding work to support this effort?
  • Jonathan_AV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan_AV polycounter lvl 6
    I have close friends and family that are doubting me and nudging me to give up and get a "real job" because I still don't have a job in the game industry.

I've come to the conclusion that giving up is guaranteed failure, by sticking with it and being persistent regardless of how long it takes, it's impossible to fail.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with everyone that there's no such thing as being "you're too young" and if you stick with it for a year you'll improve quite a lot.

I guess one bit of advice I can give is to try and be open to taking other jobs that still uses your skill sets (at least part of them) that you're focusing on developing when the times are slow. Getting to know something like the adobe creative suite could be beneficial for multiple jobs (photoshop, illustrator, InDesign, etc.)

IE concept artists might do illustrations, editorials, children's books, book covers, see if they can sell some of their paintings, do art shows, freelance client work etc. which is a bit more broader than just games or film but can help out. I think I even read somewhere of an artist who worked during the day at a place like Irrational Games, but still was able to keep doing freelance illustrations for his clients at night too, which is something to keep in mind. If you want to talk about being hard-headed about getting the job you want, I knew a guy who graduated the same year I did in Illustration and he reaaally wanted to get into the New Yorker. So his senior year and I think so far every year after that he would draw like 10 or more editorial drawings each day, and send his best on a daily basis to them. (And yes, he eventually did get at least two cartoons in the year after he graduated :) )

There's also things like creating graphics for business materials, advertisements, videos, etc. Sure it might not seem as glamorous as working in games, but someone has to design and make all of those logos, graphics, layout the font in InDesign so it's not a hideous word document, etc.

So yup, basically I feel like it helps to have an open mind about the possibilities of potential jobs when working in the creative field.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this in this thread, but networking can go a long way too. Make some friends, join an online community (like polycount :) ), attend some art shows and see if you can get to a couple of major events someday like the GDC (still saving up for that one myself, next yeaaaar) So far 90% of my jobs in my early list of working has been because someone knew me personally and recommended me for it. It might be because I hate applying for jobs/get nervous (trying to overcome that part myself), but it's always nice when someone offers you a job you didn't even know about before.

All that said, if you follow everyone else's advice you should get somewhere. Mine was more towards what you might be able to do on the side to make ends meet.
    Best of luck!
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    I ran into that video before back when i was gung-ho planning on being able to do concept art along with 3D. That video sorta seemed like he was trying to dish out the truth to those that needed it, but also seemed to additionally want to say, "so go ahead and stick your head in the sand and have a cry".

I found this advice to be much more constructive, from Maciej Kuciara, just the first half hour or so i think. If art doesn't work out, try not to get into the mental trap that art was the only thing going to provide you with happiness, because that is utter bullshit and easy to see when you look at how the brain works. Decide...to be happy. And why not, your sorrow isn't going to feed any mouths in Africa.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu6Y550vv9c[/ame]

Also this: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drv3BP0Fdi8[/ame]
    Don't sit still for too long, get up and do a few pushups and stretch, i swear on my life i sometimes have "whats the point" feelings when sitting for long periods of time that go away when i get up and stretch and do a few pushups and squats and get the blood flowing.
  • sagethethird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sagethethrid: Are you also worried about figuring out how to balance work w/ this game art focus? Or finding work to support this effort?

yes.

Both really. haha
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Oh man. We've all been here... The game industry is a unique place to be in. It's all about having passion and doing it because you love it. We all want to get paid to do what we love, but it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. You could argue that it may not be work if you love it, but that's up to you. Eat, sleep and breath improving. Use what free time you have to devote to honing your craft. The only way you will get better is to keep moving forward. I know I'm personally guilty of having a folder of uncompleted projects due to a lack of motivation or thinking that the project will not be good enough and moving on from them. This is a constant struggle for all of us. The important part is to muscle through the challenges and learn something from them. I try to make it a point to take a way at least one lesson from each project.

Sorry for the rant, but in the end only do it if your heart is in it. If it's not then that's okay, move on to what you do enjoy, but be honest to yourself.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Sagethethird,

Man I don’t think there’s an artist on here who hasn't felt what you’re feeling. Art is hard, it takes a lot of practice, love, care, and sacrifice to really start getting good and mastering things. Truthfully I was expecting a lot worse work when I checked out your portfolio! And that Bamboo walker is seriously rad! ;D

As everyone’s said keeping working on your fundamentals and just painting in general and you will see improvement. There’s plenty of great artists on Youtube such as Cube Brush and a bunch of other talented artists who have great video and techniques! I strongly encourage if you haven’t check out Ctrl Paint or Chris Oatleys stuff to do so! Really good information and inspiring stuff!

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

http://chrisoatley.com/

Also, others here have expressed exercise helps and I definitely believe it does! I work 8 hours at a computer sitting, go home and workout for a half hour, and then continue sitting for another 6-7 hours. And just having that half hour of constant movement helps clear your head and helps your body just feel better.

Just stay focused and keep pushing forward with what you want to do. Though the game art industry is small, many artists are usually willing to help others improve if they can spare the time to help! Lastly surround yourself with other creatives, having a circle of trust to get honest real critiques from will make a world of difference when it comes to improving.

Good luck on your art journey! And definitely hoped you got some good information out of my spiel!
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    C'mon dude! Cut yourself a deal... paint everyday for a year, just do it... keep reading, learning and getting better... but dont cease doing it...
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Took me almost 1.5 years after school to get a job, have to keep nose to grind stone