Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi War Room

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
Hey all me again,

Here are a few screenshots and a video demo of a shader I used for this scene, mostly the effects for it. I was thinking of making a "how to" video if people were curious.

This is also to be used in my demo reel, to join with a previous post I had made a few minutes ago.
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151370

Was looking to get some feedback!

sZQyMWk.jpg

mqV1pex.jpg

Here is the demo of the shader
https://youtu.be/46lQL4e6LHE

Replies

• angryMonkey
    Please do make a "how to" vid! this is awesome. Huge props to you man.
  • mhofever
    Offline / Send Message
    mhofever polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great! Look into PBR since you're dealing with a lot of metal in this project, you can definitely gain a lot from implementing roughness and metallicness (I'm assuming you're using Unreal 4 as you did with your medieval work).

Seeing the hologram start up in real-time is mint. I'd definitely want to see a 'how to' video for that hologram.
  • ValXVI
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks guys! Yeah, again, sci fi hasn't been a real forte with me haha so this was a fun project to do. I agree with the metal pbr materials, I just felt it was so much metal that if I made it shine too much, it really would be distracting, so I wanted to go along the lines of how they did outpost 23, but I do have a lot more things to adjust.
  • nivao
    Offline / Send Message
    nivao polycounter lvl 6
    This is awesome work; gritty, and industrial, while still modern/futuristic. This is also very good inspiration for me. And yes, I'd like a how-to video too, that'd be even more awesome.
  • MrBFox
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox greentooth
    Thats awesome, yes please do a tutorial, knowing Hologram shaders will be useful when I start doing Sci-Fi interiors.
  • ValXVI
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the feedback all! I'm happy that there is some interest in the holograms! They aren't perfect, but they work for now! I will make a video as soon as I can, I'm busy with finishing up the semester!
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 13
    I like it. The display in the center draws my eye there first, the left side of the scene holds the scene together well, and the contrasting blues on the right do a good job of balancing the scene out.
  • ValXVI
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    Here's pretty much the final shots for this piece, as promised I will work on making a how to video. If you look on my website, I do have some of the material editor shots there that might be able to start you off, but I can piece something together soon.

GjIgcIn.jpg

8kYeCPS.jpg

e1PSZ21.jpg

e9oBCD3.jpg
  • ValXVI
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    Ok all! A year or so later, I had been able to make some time for the shaders.  It will be a three part tutorial, I just made the first part and will make the next videos sometime in the very near future.

https://youtu.be/6w6mURD-UsA
  • ValXVI
    Offline / Send Message
    ValXVI polycounter lvl 5
    Please do make a "how to" vid! this is awesome. Huge props to you man.
    MrBFox said:
    Thats awesome, yes please do a tutorial, knowing Hologram shaders will be useful when I start doing Sci-Fi interiors.

nivao said:
    This is awesome work; gritty, and industrial, while still modern/futuristic. This is also very good inspiration for me. And yes, I'd like a how-to video too, that'd be even more awesome.

mhofever said:
    Looks great! Look into PBR since you're dealing with a lot of metal in this project, you can definitely gain a lot from implementing roughness and metallicness (I'm assuming you're using Unreal 4 as you did with your medieval work).

Seeing the hologram start up in real-time is mint. I'd definitely want to see a 'how to' video for that hologram.

I made the video finally. Sorry it took so long!
  • aoakenfo
    Offline / Send Message
    aoakenfo null
    I made the radar pie shape from your material procedural.

I don't think the shader in lesson 1 is completely covered. Do you have screenshots (or text via the clipboard) of the full material?
  • Valorgamz
    Hey idk if you still on this platform but I was looking at you sci fi war room and was interest in using it! I would love to talk to you about this thanks!