Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's 'the THRONE ROOM'

THRONE ROOM - Throne of Complacent Grandeur - Supposable Lion

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Supposable Lion polycounter lvl 4
It took me some time making the concept sketch. I didn't exactly have a theme in mind or anything. I first started with how people might arrive before the throne and then I filled in the space around it, thinking of how I can make the throne more of a focal point.

kApEJrI.jpg

The sketch gives a good idea of what and where things are placed, but mostly not exactly detailed out for each asset. I like to leave thing a bit open when I model them. My main concern is not finishing on time. I may cut out the two side statues if time is becoming a problem.

Replies

• Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can finally really get going on this project now that I'm back home in Canada with my desktop, I was in California with a laptop with the first post. About three weeks left .. I can make it! I'm going to be cutting out the human side statues, I'm slow with characters and I hadn't finished fleshing out details. Also cutting the side audience seating, it's not really necessary. I'll start with what I know that I want for certain in there.

Current Blockout/Placement:
    oEY3qTM.jpg

Middle Feline Statue Refs:
    uepybe9.jpg

Statue Sketch:
    4SERXjG.jpg

Current Sculpt Progress:
    BAeKjkS.jpg

I'm going to be spending some hours everyday on this the next three weeks, so I'm going to try to post more progress pics throughout without forgetting.
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpt of the center statue is finished:
    p6jC2Gr.jpg

It needs a couple of tweaks, like the back feet rotated into the body and the head bent in more. I'm going to try out Substance Painter for texturing.
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been having alot of trouble with having Substance Designer 5 function. Everytime I try to start a new substance, it crashes. I've checked that both my CPU and GPU drivers are up to date, and even installed Windows updates and nothing. So, I'm abandoning on using Substance Designer.
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A week and a day left. The pressure's on.

I started on the drapery in the back behind the throne. Here's my reference and what I've currently got:
    o7YwNGq.jpg
    cJr9txX.jpg

And here's a concept sketch on the throne chair. It's pretty much figured out, just thinking about if I want the cushion part to be classy with buttons or what.
    Q93HS0d.jpg
    It probably looks confusing, but the sketch on the right is more finalised. The line is the halfway line.
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updates of what the scene's currently looking like in UE4.

1CPjgTF.jpg
    20wQiG5.jpg
    0fzu7qs.jpg

It's currently pretty barren. I also don't exactly like my throne currently either, I think I've made it too low poly on account of the sculpted parts are looking rather flat. I do have a couple of modifications in mind, but first I need to fill the scene. Making columns, and looking at water material in the engine today. And then setting up the walls.
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How it's currently looking like:
    WXZT2Pr.jpg

There's some lightmap issues, and some UV seam LOD issues, but it's getting there. Going to change the throne and do some wall textures.
  • Supposable Lion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't able to make the submissions last night. :/ My internet's been kind of not working well lately, but I shouldn't have left it so last minute. I had fun making the assets, and making the scene. I'm going to try to get Substance Designer running on my computer since I still really want to use it.

Here's the final pics:
    ArA2ZIX.jpg
    VNRxYmM.jpg
    KpYkQnI.jpg

5TTdDXs.jpg
    J6vp6VD.jpg