Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ori and the Blind Forest Artdump

Replies

• Decci
    one of the amazing games that i'm waiting for!
  • STRIKER
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    Partiest wrote: »
    I gushed in the other thread already, but It bears repeating -- Ori has to be one of the most beautiful and immersive experiences I've had with games in years. On par with Journey, but far better in the mechanics department :)

Is there anyone on the tech side that would be able to break down how your team handled depth of field? I assume you're using a custom setup that didn't make use of Unity's DOF image effect, but would you be willing to share details? Very interested in this, as I'm trying to help solve the issue for a project built in a pretty similar way to Ori.

Thanks so much for crafting such an awesome game!

THIS!
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    kendmd wrote: »
    @acapulco

Thanks a lot for the reply, Simon! Do you guys scale/stretch any of the assets? If yes, how do you prevent blurring, say when you scale it big?

We did not scale them in a way it would look shit. Painting a new one that does what we need was the solution to that problem. We only did that in places where we knew no one will either see it or it fitted.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Spatz wrote: »
    sooo beautiful ... awesome work congratz to the whole team!!!

looking forward for ORI 2 :D

tweet this to Phil Spencer, the more there are to do this, the more likely it will become

well and the more people who buy the game, in general if you guys want to support Moon or us, make sure everyone knows this game and buys it. NOW not in sale at one point :D

@Striker: i'll ask the techguys to get you an answer.
  • Ravenok
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Really curious about how you guys handled animations and achieved such fluid movement and action in the game.

What's the framerate on the pre-rendered sprite animations? what do you do when the game runs at a higher framerate than that? how do you handle the transitions between the added frames?

The game runs very smoothly and the feel of it is awesome. Which is usually a big problem for unity games. Really curious about that.
  • tsabszy
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy greentooth
    incredible stuff!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Ravenok wrote: »
    Really curious about how you guys handled animations and achieved such fluid movement and action in the game.

What's the framerate on the pre-rendered sprite animations? what do you do when the game runs at a higher framerate than that? how do you handle the transitions between the added frames?

The game runs very smoothly and the feel of it is awesome. Which is usually a big problem for unity games. Really curious about that.

a few are higher for faking blend trees
    [20:43:51] James Nicholas Benson: the run walk jog and all transitions are 120
    [20:43:56] James Nicholas Benson: but yeah its 30fps for almost everything
    [20:44:05] James Nicholas Benson: i actualyl talk about that a lot in my gdc talk
    [20:44:08] James Nicholas Benson: which will go on the vautl soon

i will inform you once it is on the gdc vault
  • .leshiy
    Offline / Send Message
    .leshiy polycounter lvl 5
    I afraid that sequel can to kill magic of this story. Just go forward to the next title!

Also I recommend to the Moon Studios to make some open public company channel for users and hiring new partners because I didn't find anything about studio or about Thomas or something for contact (only Fb-page, Twitter and website of the "Ori" project).

I know specifics of studio's work (remote) and think they should be more open for people to make next project better and maybe faster (if it's needed).

But, of course, they know better =) Thx!

PS: It's not about Airborn! You guys made perfect work! Best!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    http://bit.ly/1H5gpXC ;) he even posted in this very thread
    you could also check the game credits for the other members of moon studios, besides that fb, twitter and what else you found will all be checked pretty regularly
  • Ravenok
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Neox wrote: »
    a few are higher for faking blend trees
    [20:43:51] James Nicholas Benson: the run walk jog and all transitions are 120
    [20:43:56] James Nicholas Benson: but yeah its 30fps for almost everything
    [20:44:05] James Nicholas Benson: i actualyl talk about that a lot in my gdc talk
    [20:44:08] James Nicholas Benson: which will go on the vautl soon

i will inform you once it is on the gdc vault

Awesome! can't wait for the video :)

Can you give some more details on why you guys decided to go with 2D pre-renders instead of straight up 3D, considering you had many assets already made in 3D anyway?
  • .leshiy
    Offline / Send Message
    .leshiy polycounter lvl 5
    stupid-stupid leshiy :poly142:
    Neox, "Ok Google!" Thanks and sorry for the offtopic.
    I'm just afraid of a real names not nicks=)))
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    This is beautiful art, you guys are amazing! Great job to everyone involved!
  • ricolas71
    Offline / Send Message
    ricolas71 polycounter lvl 12
    This game was truly amazing! Stunning Visual and Audio, well done guys!
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasmahler polycounter lvl 14

Can you give some more details on why you guys decided to go with 2D pre-renders instead of straight up 3D, considering you had many assets already made in 3D anyway?

It's mainly because our animator wanted to have the freedom to do with the shapes in animation whatever he wanted - Everything was allowed, as long as the final animation looked good. So if you look at the actual mesh, it's really distorted and crazy looking for some animation frames, but as long as it looks good in the final output, we're happy :)

Another reason was to ensure that the 2d look fits together. It's always difficult to put a 3d character into a 2d world and make it look cohesive.
  • totsboy
    First of all, congratulations on the game, it's certainly the most beautiful 2D game I've seen, not only that, but a very good game also! And thanks for sharing all this process and information =)

I have a question about the camera, how do you handle it? Is it perspective or ortographic? Or multiple cameras with one or the other?
  • Timex
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Thomas, the game looks beautiful actually. How you guys deal with all the 2d objects one over other that you show in the video, are all static objects ?.
    And talking about the plants and leafs the movement uses bones for the deformation or are you using some kind of mesh deformation? I saw the same deformation on some of the effects on the menu buttons.
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    We're not using bone deformation, it's all a custom shader that our Tech Department wrote that does all the heavy lifting on the GPU with no added performance cost :)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    I put some of James trickery on the first page

Some info regarding animation from James talk, because people wanted to know why it looks so smooth. And also why the characters are 2d not 3d. A bit of the answer for both is "free awesome motionblur"

This is how the animation looks without motionblur, rendered at 30fps for this example
    ori_wo.gifori_wo_big.gif

and this is how it looks with motionblur
    ori_w.gifori_w_big.gif
  • totsboy
    First of all, congratulations on the game, it's the best looking 2D game I've seen in a while! And thanks for sharing all the details about the art and the process!

Also, I have a question about the Camera, how did you handle it? Was it Ortographic or perspective? Or multiple cameras with one or the other?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    the camera is perpective
  • Partiest
    With such a dense amount of sprites/pngs being loaded, was there anything you guys had to do in terms of optimization to the sprites to keep things from slowing down or eating too much memory?
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I am pretty sure they used a sprite packer that Unity now ships with, it takes several sprites and puts them all on the same texture and automates packing and collision. That takes down draw calls a lot. Unity showcased this tech in 2013 actually, it showed some Ori assets in the demonstration from the looks of it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1F6fi04qw8[/ame]
  • Partiest
    Nice, thanks for the link! Very nice to see that not everything for Ori was necessarily built specifically for the project. We're still extremely early on in our own project, so the workflow tips will really help out.

btw Makkon I'm a huge fan of your music. I'm new to Polycount, but it's awesome to see your name pop up. Rock on!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Partiest wrote: »
    Nice, thanks for the link! Very nice to see that not everything for Ori was necessarily built specifically for the project. We're still extremely early on in our own project, so the workflow tips will really help out.

btw Makkon I'm a huge fan of your music. I'm new to Polycount, but it's awesome to see your name pop up. Rock on!

i think makkon is wrong, despite working close together with unity, the atlassing is a custom solution written by arthur

but good find, these are indeed assets from ori
  • Partiest
    i think makkon is wrong, despite working close together with unity, the atlassing is a custom solution written by arthur

but good find, these are indeed assets from ori

Interesting.. Oh well! Still great info, regardless.

Will any of the tech guys ever swing by the thread? It would be cool to see a sort of "tech dump" in the same vein as the art dump (or even just to ask them questions so we don't have to bother you).
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    you just have to keep in mind, that the game is in development for 4 years, a lot has changed in unity in that time and a lot of things have not been there when moon needed them.
    i'll ask if they can swing by
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, the 2d tools came out after we started working. Most of the tools we used, we wrote ourselves. We might at some point actually put some of our stuff up on the asset store... but don't quote me on that, it's not that easy to turn production tools into tools that work for everyone and everything :)

One of the coolest tools we have at our disposal is our auto-collider tool - We used to trace colliders over textures at the start of the project, but since that's really inefficient, our tech guys wrote a tool that auto-generates colliders, so that artists just have to lay out ground textures the way they see fit, hit a button and you can run over all of them in-game as Ori and check whether or not it all feels right.

For me as a designer, my favorite tool was the 'screenshot-tool'. Oris world is really goddamn big, so what the screenshot tool allows is to just make a snapshot of the scene and have it persist. That means that I can just drag around screenshots to put together the actual world design - Easily THE most important tool when it comes to design a Metroidvania, since I could grab entire chunks of the world and move them to some other place with little to no effort :)
  • MadExecutioner
    This must be the best looking 2D game I have ever seen, good job!

How did you make the animated plants? Are they many individual parts that rotate and move? Or something physics based like this:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH9y05ub99o"]like this[/ame]

Or are they all pre-baked sprite animations?
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Yeah, it was just a guess. The use of the Ori assets in the presentation made me think it was a tool Moon made and Unity integrated.

Aaahhh, I want those tools Thomas! I'd use them so hard, even if they're mostly utilitarian and not elegant for a general audience. What they can do with proper use is mind blowing. You guys did amazing work, tech art and all. That screenshot tool looks like pure unadulterated witchcraft.
  • mihedas
    Hey, big fan of the game here, I wanted to ask how the writers chose the names for the characters. Am I right that Ori means "My light", Naru "faith" and Kuro "the dark"?
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't usually answer these kinda questions. I think it's all there, the rest is what you make of it :)
  • Some Other Guy
    You know, it occurred to me as I was exploring the game world (as well as reading some of the dev posts here) that you must have built a lot of lore/history into the setting that we gamers never really got to see up close - stuff like what acapulco mentioned about Mount Horu a few pages back.

Will we be seeing any of that in greater detail at some point, in any form? I absolutely love worldbuilding, and Nibel seems like it's so full of untold stories.
  • ragmanrag
    Offline / Send Message
    ragmanrag polycounter lvl 9
    This is fantastic work!!! The art style is one of the best i've seen, all the team did an awesome job! Thank you very much for sharing!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    You know, it occurred to me as I was exploring the game world (as well as reading some of the dev posts here) that you must have built a lot of lore/history into the setting that we gamers never really got to see up close - stuff like what acapulco mentioned about Mount Horu a few pages back.

Will we be seeing any of that in greater detail at some point, in any form? I absolutely love worldbuilding, and Nibel seems like it's so full of untold stories.

I guess this comes totally down to sales, i would love to get to work more on the gumons, narus story etc. but any sequel, or prequel is pretty much connected to the financial success
  • Primary_Access
    Offline / Send Message
    Primary_Access polycounter lvl 3
    I guess this comes totally down to sales, i would love to get to work more on the gumons, narus story etc. but any sequel, or prequel is pretty much connected to the financial success

I really really hope that it sells tons of copies. You all guys totally deserve it. We need more games like Ori. Games with soul. I am in my third playthrough of the game and it amazes me every single moment. I love it. And I would love to see more of Nibel and Ori in a sequel/prequel/whatever.
  • Pudd'nhead
    Offline / Send Message
    Pudd'nhead polycounter lvl 2
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    how in the world does this game run?? I'm not sure how unity handles "sprites" if that's what these are. But how do you have that much depth in the scene with SO many transparencies! I would have thought that would cause so many sorting errors but maybe that's only a problem with traditional 3d. Is this something you dealt with and how did you handle it?
  • Felixenfeu
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    danjohncox wrote: »
    how in the world does this game run?? I'm not sure how unity handles "sprites" if that's what these are. But how do you have that much depth in the scene with SO many transparencies! I would have thought that would cause so many sorting errors but maybe that's only a problem with traditional 3d. Is this something you dealt with and how did you handle it?

coming from 3d this also is pure magic to me!
    how they ever got kuro to work, voodoo i tell ya

the sorting is somewhat simple tho, it just gets sorted by the depth position of an object. this also adds a bit of the possibility to tilt planes if needed. as long as they do not clip through something else sorting is fine
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, so sorting isn't an issue then. but what about overdraw? I would have thought with SO many transparencies you'd have a million overdrawn pixels. Was this ever an issue (such as, don't place TOO many sprites in certain areas?)?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    the atlassing saves a lot of overdraw by automatically creating meshes which render way less 100% transparent pixels i talk about this here:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2119996&postcount=122

i wouldn't say you can use unlimited amounts of planes but i think the setdressers never complained about this. But then again, it runs on decent PCs and Xboxone, not your IOs phone
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    OH! thats how the atlasing works! I didn't expect it to be that clever! Thanks for the info!!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    yes! been waiting for this art dump for a while now :)
  • Ellana
    Offline / Send Message
    Ellana polycounter lvl 6
    All these images filled my eyes with wonder... so beautiful and dream-like!
  • Primary_Access
    Offline / Send Message
    Anything more to share with us about this wonderful game? :)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Here is the whole Map of Ori, made from over 280 screenshots

http://imgur.com/gallery/r8pI6yz

this is pretty much as many rooms as made it into the game, we had a lot more but needed to cut for a better rounded product. I am always amazed seeing the whole game like this http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2269516&postcount=130 in the editor.

Also, check out the speedruns, around 51minutes! dayum, looking at the shortcuts they found is awesome and seing the possibilities to save time i guess it will end around 45 minutes to finish the game :O

crazaaaay

okay just found a 46 min speedrun, oh well you don't follow them for a weekend and they already cut out the time i thought they will in a few weeks, perfecting the movment
  • Primary_Access
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thank you for the complete map. :D
    Yeah, it's crazy with all these speedruns. I finished it in 2.5h (the same playthrough without any ability unlocked) and it was quite difficult. Now I am about to finish my no-death playthrough and unlock my final achievement.
    What a great game. I love it so much. It's one of the greatest I've ever played.
    Any chance for sharing any of those cutted rooms? :)
  • RezNik
    Offline / Send Message
    RezNik triangle
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS GAME!
    And I never type in all caps!

The art/design/everything is top notch and inspiring. I'm really hoping for a sequel. This game pretty much revived the metroidvania genre for me

My favorite part of the the game(visually) where my artist mind was blown was when I saw the light react with the "rocks" at the top of the tree (leaving some details out).

SPOILER ALERT!!!!! (kinda)

interesting reddit I found about the character names!
    post by dustiferb

So the four named characters (so far at least) are Ori, Naru (the weird mother thing), Sein, and Kuro (the owl). So, being the curious person I was, I spent a good amount of time trying to find out some definitions of the names.

Ori - It is a boy name and it originates from the Hebrew language. It quite literally, means 'light'. No brainer there, Ori is literally a spirit of light. In name descriptions, this name is usually given to one who wishes to be appreciated and whom has a really strong desire for family. (Kinda tugs at the heart strings if you've played the game.)

Kuro - This is a boy name and it originates from the Japanese language. The name itself derive from the name 'Kurou' which means 'ninth son' but if you take the word meaning of kuro, it means 'black'. So one could interpret that as darkness. (So Ori and Kuro is literally light battling against darkness.)

Sein - Sein is a boy name and it originates from the Spanish language. The name itself means 'innocent'. (I really couldn't find a parallel for this. Maybe because he seems to be one of the last of his kind, so maybe something like a loss of innocence? Just a theory.) The name descriptions for those who are given the name are known for having a great desire for adventure. They are also really good companions or partners.

Naru - This is the mother who raises Ori. It is a girl name and it comes from the Japanese language. This name has actually a lot (about 15-20) of definitions but the ones I found to be significant are 'one who plays a role in something' (as in being a mother for Ori) and 'one who bears fruit' (like the fruit in the prologue or just food in general).

So those were just some cool meanings of the names I came across in Ori.
  • thomasmahler
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll never confirm why I picked those names and what my thinking behind them was, but yeah, some of them seem accurate enough ;)
  • Primary_Access
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Thomas, may I ask you something story related? I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case. It's about an incident right after the Ginso Tree sequence.
    So, I was wondering... How exactly did Gumo saved Ori and Sein from Kuro after the Ginso Tree scene? The cutscene ends with Kuro almost getting Ori who was falling but when we get back in the game we see Gumo carrying Ori to the swamp. So, what exactly happened? Ori just fell down and was found by Gumo? It's that simple or something was cut (for any reason) from that particular scene? I would love to know that. :)

I love the work you all have done in the game. It really is a masterpiece and I hope for more. :)

Edit: James' GDC talk is up on the vault now:

http://gdcvault.com/play/1021791/Animation-Bootcamp-The-Animation-Process