Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Boba Fett Helmet (PBR Practice)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Skywalkergirl93 polycounter lvl 5
I haven't posted in a long time because I've been busy with school, but seeing as I have recently graduated I plan to get back in the game and start doing my own projects. I highly enjoy Environment and Prop Modeling, so I decided for my first side project outside of graduation was going to be this helmet. I also wanted to practice with Metalness and Roughness maps seeing as I originally learned Spec and Gloss.

I hope you guys like it, but also hope for feedback. Critiques are what help me as an artist improve and get better at what I love.

Final Result is displayed in Unreal 4.6

Textures are 2048x2048
All maps include: Diffuse, Normal, Metalness, and Roughness

Boba_High_Wire.jpg

Boba_Max.jpg

Boba_Unreal.jpg

Replies

• Skywalkergirl93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Found out a few days ago that Sketchfab now supports PBR. So I uploaded my helmet so that people can view it in 3D Space. I still think it looks better in Unreal, but I think Sketchfab did a really good job at incorporating PBR :)
    [SKETCHFAB]76dc3f0783a8464f841112364dad7bfd[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    one of the things that seems to jump out right away is that even though your material values may be physically correct, the way in which they are applied to the helmet looks too unrealistic. all the wear and damage looks too handpainted to be considered to be realistic.

take a look at the way the materials are applied here. even though the engine isnt physically based, the way that the texture is done makes it look real.
  • Skywalkergirl93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I think I understand what you're saying. Do you think it's the roughness/metalness I need to continue and tweak, or the diffuse, or all? Any tips or tricks to give? I'm still learning, so please enlighten me on how I could make this more realistic. And thank you for the critique, it's much appreciated :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    id definitely say its all of the maps. i wouldnt really think of it though as needing to edit your diffuse,spec and gloss.. just think of it as you need to edit the material. like i said, the values are irrelevant really.. its about the application. the chipped paint clearly looks like it was done with random brush strokes, which in some cases really does fit the star wars style (the way the yellow |||| lines are chipping away actually looks quite good), but the chipping/smudging on the green/red areas just looks too fake.

id take a look at something like these to see how to apply realistic wear and damage to painted metal. Bear in mind these are older tutorials so id really only pay attention to how the damage is applied to your layers (by use of grunge maps/brushes). Some of the spec/gloss examples shown may not work for what you're doing.

http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_detailed.php?id=671&catDisplay=1&roPos=1&page=1#.VPjpmvnF_zg

http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_detailed.php?roPos=1&catDisplay=1&id=1204#.VPjqAvnF_zg
  • Skywalkergirl93
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I'm completely on the same page of understanding now. I will definitely be looking at the provided examples to study, and will also look into cleaning up the green/red areas. Thanks again for the Crit!