Home Unreal Engine

Reflections in translucent material

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
huffer interpolator
Hello, I can't seem to get any reflections on translucent materials, the moment I change the material type to translucent all reflections vanish like so:

translucency_issue.jpg

I copy/pasted the glass material from the Sci-Fi Hallway showcase project (where reflections are visible), have a SphereReflectionCapture in scene, and transluceny lighting mode is set to TLM_Surface. All other reflections work fine. What am I doing wrong? :(

Also, here's what the Reflection pass looks like from opaque to translucent:

refl2.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What version of the engine are you using? I think they recently added support for it in 4.7 (I could be wrong about that). Reflections on translucent materials wasn't supported in the early versions of the engine. Also try using the "TLM Surface in the Translucency Lighting Mode"
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Thanks for the answer, I'm using 4.6.3 (I think, not currently subscribed). I am using TLM_Surface, and the weird thing is that reflections do work as expected in the showcase scene (the sci fi hallway), but not in my scene, and this with the copy pasted material.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'll have to do some digging, I defnitely know this is an issue other people have add and part of the problem is with the engine, but I think there are work around. Try looking around on the official forums and answerhub if you haven't checked already. Are your scalability settings at Epic? Double check to make sure SSR reflections are enabled?
  • divi
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    not sure if SSR on translucent materials works yet.

you can get the nearest sphere reflection capture to show up on your translucent mesh with tlm_surface, which you apparently have checked. you will also need some static indirect lighting in your scene aka baked down with lightmass for anything to show up.

what was added with 4.7 are specular highlights for translucent materials which is nice to have but has very little to do with you not seeing any reflection.
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    So I was running into this a few days ago. I found that if I baked lights with my reflection capture actor it would show the reflections. I am in 4.6.1 for my side project. Also as of yesterday UE4 is free :)
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Thanks guys, I updated to 4.7 and redid this tutorial and now they finally show up as expected (prior to the update I couldn't get any reflections doing exactly what was in the tutorial, even after adding a spherereflectioncapture). In the level I had something is still wrong, no reflections, but if I remiport the asset in a new level it's all good. :)