Home Technical Talk

Help needed: rendering all maps in a single image

We all know current gen uses diffuse, normal, specular, ect

im using dDo to texture, and it creates all sort of maps, but i need to merge all those maps into a single texture, the diffuse itself is showing just the colors, i want a diffuse showing also the normal and all the reflections from the specular, in short, just applying the diffuse and it already looking like on the previewer.

MQlmXXS.jpg

i want that just applying a single difuse texture, it looks all rendered and with the illuminations as if it were inside a current gen viewer that supports normals and all that (i know ilumination and all that wont be changed cause its just a diffuse yes, just want it to preview them on viewer that doesnt work with normals and current gen shaders) looking over the internet i found the perfect example of what i need:

vUSpoK8.png

that map showing in there is the texture i need, a single texture looking like that, with all the shaders on it, but i dont know if thats just a preview or a exportable texture, how can i accompish this? and what software have this as a feature? (exporting the image i need), thanks!

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I don't think you can just combine everything into a single map, they are separate maps for a reason. But, if you have a free alpha channel in your map, then you can place any of your black and white maps there, like Gloss or Metallic, if your engine supports that.
  • yy4cmm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i know its possible cause ive seen it, this is another example:

cKhiw4R.jpg

it says its done on marmoset, but i dont know if thats a preview inside the software or the exported texture.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    It's probably a preview feature in the software, because I've never seen anything like it.
  • yy4cmm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what_is_flatiron_02_l.jpg

this is kind of what im looking for, but thats for 3ds max, hope theres more options
  • WaYWO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WaYWO greentooth
    this is possible but not as you think... you can bake lightmaps, or either texture with all diffuse, spec, gloss ao and then bake the light bouncing on your object in maya with transfer map or turtle plugin, its impossible in DDO! But you can do custom layers to get around that...
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    yy4cmm wrote: »
    i know its possible cause ive seen it, this is another example:

cKhiw4R.jpg

it says its done on marmoset, but i dont know if thats a preview inside the software or the exported texture.

I think this is done by putting the texture sheets on a plane, and rendering that.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    pre baked material. So what you want is a tool that does this for realtime stuff or you set the material in your software package up as you would do it for offline rendering and then render to texture it.

unreal engine has something like that build in
  • yy4cmm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes! thats it, prebaked material, i want a tool where i can archieve that, gotta go try these options, i just though there would be a tool where i just can enable in export options the "combined material" and export it with the pbr illumination rendered on it
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    It's probably a preview feature in the software, because I've never seen anything like it.

prebaking (or handpainting the lightinfirmation) has been pretty standard a while ago and still make a lot of sense on weaker systems.

@op: you can definitely do this in 3dsmax, in ddo you could fake a lot using objectspace normals as masks and fake directional light this way. not sure if it can bake in matcaps/cubemaps.
  • yy4cmm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador wrote: »
    I think this is done by putting the texture sheets on a plane, and rendering that.

this would be a nice solution, ill go investigate more about it, thanks
  • yy4cmm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    @op: you can definitely do this in 3dsmax, in ddo you could fake a lot using objectspace normals as masks and fake directional light this way. not sure if it can bake in matcaps/cubemaps.

i just though there was a simple way with all the new software since they use now pbr illumination on your objects, like dDo previewer, substance painter, on max its more of manually setting all lights, just looking for a updated workflow (that can save time) with all these new software out now