Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter 1.3 is coming!

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jerc interpolator
We have another surprise for GDC this year: Substance Painter 1.3!

L3BkhNvl.png

The new features include:
  • Smart Materials (choose from a wide library or create your own)
  • Blazing-fast integrated bakers (Normal, AO, Curvature and more)
  • Tri-planar projection
  • Shadows and transparency in the 3D view
  • Tons of fixes and UI improvements

All of this is coming March 4th!

I'll post feature previews here in the meantime and if you guys have any question about the upcoming update, go ahead!

Replies

• Fabian Fischer
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian Fischer polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, that's a pretty nice surprise!
    I am curious what those smart materials are and what benefits we have from that. All of this is not much information but sounds great. Good job!

Will the transparency also come to Designer 5 at release? I also love the new export window from version 1.2 and would like to see that in Designer, too ;)
    March 4th is the day I can't wait for
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    no MikkTspace? :( Still looking forward to 1.3 though!
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Smart Materials are "just" layer presets. You can save a part of your layer stack from a project to use it in another one. This means you can embed in a preset painting information, substance effects, bitmaps and the system will also automatically update the additional maps slots based on your texture set.

And of course you will be able to share these presets if you want. :)

Son Kim wrote: »
    no MikkTspace? :( Still looking forward to 1.3 though!
    MikkT is planned with the bakers.
  • SashaNodia
    Offline / Send Message
    SashaNodia polycounter lvl 5
    Do you guys and most of all devs think that all these new/cool/spectacular features are more important than the basic ability to draw straight line? :)
    This is why it is so hard for us in the studio to implement this software; basic and very important features are missing.

If I missed something and there actually is a possibility to draw a straight line please let me know how and I will shut up :)
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Haha, we know it's very important! It's been on our schedule for a while and somehow gets pushed back every release. I swear it will make it for the next release after 1.3 :)
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    Froyok wrote: »

MikkT is planned with the bakers.

That's good what about the viewport? Currently the viewport aren't sync with MikkT.
  • MeshMagnet
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    What's the Tri-planar projection feature about?
  • RobertH
    Will the new version support 3Dconnection SpaceNavigator? That is my biggest wish.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    SashaNodia wrote: »
    Do you guys and most of all devs think that all these new/cool/spectacular features are more important than the basic ability to draw straight line? :)
    This is why it is so hard for us in the studio to implement this software; basic and very important features are missing.

If I missed something and there actually is a possibility to draw a straight line please let me know how and I will shut up :)

Ruler on tablet dawg
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Son Kim wrote: »
    That's good what about the viewport? Currently the viewport aren't sync with MikkT.
    I didn't mention it, but yeah, bakers and viewport will be synced to Mikkt.
    MeshMagnet wrote: »
    What's the Tri-planar projection feature about?
    It allows you to project any image/material on the 3 axis around the model and "wrap" it so that there are no seams anywhere, like a cheap way of faking a 3D texture.
    RobertH wrote: »
    Will the new version support 3Dconnection SpaceNavigator? That is my biggest wish.
    No, not this time.
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    Jerc,

That's freakin awesome! just in time for Unreal Engine 4.7 release,which will be finally sync with MikkT Space thanks to JedTheKrampus!
  • Bubba91873
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    1. Option to bake by material ID included ?
    2. Does the software have the option to not render the high poly so that we can load zbrush models in just like xnormal currently does ? This is a must.
    3. Does it include half-hemisphere and flat floor baking options similar to Topogun and without having to render the high poly on screen ?
    4. Bent Normals, prtP and prtN baking, Cavity map similar to xnormal, a working height map baker not like xnormals it sucks,

5. Normal map baking that helps sync the normals to target engines such as 3ds max marmoset etc. without going to another software package to run it (handplane)
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    With Smart Materials does that mean updating and reloading substance issue should be fixed? :D Or will it still show up as outdated?
  • pthomas1172
    Offline / Send Message
    pthomas1172 polycounter lvl 10
    Really enjoying the last updates!
    This next one sounds even more fun.

CIG Austin.
  • bridgewindsoup
    Offline / Send Message
    bridgewindsoup polycounter lvl 6
    Really looking forward to this release: transparency and tri-planar projection are both huge. Also curious/optimistic about the fixes and UI improvements you mention (hoping for that "x" mask brush color toggle, and/or the ability to copy/paste content between channels...?)
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    Jerc,

is that new lighting for 1.3?
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    New lighting and real-time raytraced shadows and AO.
  • pity
    Offline / Send Message
    pity polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, great news!
    Will the new version include:
    - export layers from project to PSD with layers?
    - more shaders (previous gen bumped/specular and specular/roughness PBR)?
    Anyway, Substance Painter is amazing program! Cant wait for the new release!
    Thx
  • MDiamond
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Bubba91873 wrote: »

I would freak out so much if this feature was present. One of the main options I truly miss from 3Ds Max baking tools.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Bubba91873 wrote: »
    2. Does the software have the option to not render the high poly so that we can load zbrush models in just like xnormal currently does ? This is a must.
    3. Does it include half-hemisphere and flat floor baking options similar to Topogun and without having to render the high poly on screen ?
    4. Bent Normals, prtP and prtN baking, Cavity map similar to xnormal, a working height map baker not like xnormals it sucks,

5. Normal map baking that helps sync the normals to target engines such as 3ds max marmoset etc. without going to another software package to run it (handplane)

1. Yes, the bakers in Substance Painter will be as powerful as the ones in Substance Designer.

2. We don't load the high-poly in Substance Painter, only the baker will load it in memory, and this will be only during the time of the baking.

3. No, but that's something we can add later.

4. As mentioned in 1., bakers are similar to Substance Designer, so you will have Bent Normals. However if you want the Cavity map and prtP/prtN maps I suggest requesting them on our uservoice channel : https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter

5. For the moment we will support Mikkt (xNormal/Blender/UE4). Unity will be added in a second pass. Users will also be able to load their custom tangent space too. Note that we alos load the tangent/binormals from the mesh to read and compute the normals map, so using an FBX file with the correct settings will assure the best sync possible.
    With Smart Materials does that mean updating and reloading substance issue should be fixed? :D Or will it still show up as outdated?
    I'm afraid not yet. :(
    Really looking forward to this release: transparency and tri-planar projection are both huge. Also curious/optimistic about the fixes and UI improvements you mention (hoping for that "x" mask brush color toggle, and/or the ability to copy/paste content between channels...?)
    No color toggle yet, we are still thinking about how we can integrate this system in our multi-channel workflow. No copy/paste between layers either.

The UI improvements concern for example the effect stack (when attached to a layer), you can now reorganize them which will help a lot to design smart materials. :)
    pity wrote: »
    Wow, great news!
    Will the new version include:
    - export layers from project to PSD with layers?
    - more shaders (previous gen bumped/specular and specular/roughness PBR)?
    Anyway, Substance Painter is amazing program! Cant wait for the new release!
    Thx
    - Not yet.
    - We will have new shaders to support our new render features, but no official Spec/Gloss support yet. It's planned for the next version hopefully.
  • Altea
    Offline / Send Message
    Altea polycounter lvl 6
    Is going to have the new 3d display anything better than the current nearest or bilineal filtering? I find really noisy the textures without this, specially working at 4k with normal map brushes. The antialiasing post processing makes little difference and trilineal or better are certainly needed.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    The 3D View doesn't have any filtering at the moment, that's why you see some Moir
  • The_Distiller
    I also hope we'll see much better AA for the viewport in the future, any concrete plans on that?
  • Altea
    Offline / Send Message
    Altea polycounter lvl 6
    That would be for me a better feature than anything else is going to be added in the next version. It is difficult to understand the texture under that amount of noise, unless you work with very low res textures.
  • wes.sau
    I too have been wishing for AO/Cavity map baking/output from Painter, currently when I'm done with Painter I have to rig up something in Designer with all my Painter inputs every time. Looking forward to finish up everything in one go in Painter.

Froyok, I noticed the Baker idea on uservoice has half the comments including AO/Cavity. In any case I created a new idea vote just for AO/cavity on here: https://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/7126545-baker-and-output-for-cavity-ao-map <--Bubba91873 get your votes in!
  • Altea
    Offline / Send Message
    Altea polycounter lvl 6
    Interesting that the feature most voted there is a text tool, that could be done easily importing it from Photoshop, and there are no entries about higher resolution texture (at least when exporting) or the lack of texture filter in the 3d view. At least I can not find them.
  • badmouse
    Offline / Send Message
    badmouse polycounter lvl 8
    Will be great a option that let bake the lighting and specular created by the physic materials to the texture. After all you have a preview in the UV space window.
  • MDiamond
    Offline / Send Message
    MDiamond polycounter lvl 10
    Froyok wrote: »
    1. Yes, the bakers in Substance Painter will be as powerful as the ones in Substance Designer.

I think he meant the ability to make the baker read and bake only meshes that share the same material ID, so you don't have to explode the models for baking to avoid intersection problems. Is this possible in Substance?
  • oblomov
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    Not yet but soon. You'll be able to :
    - match low poly to high poly only when their mesh name is the same in SD 5.0 and hopefully SP 1.3.
    - do that also by comparing the material IDs instead in SD 5.1 / SP 1.4.
  • Son Kim
    Offline / Send Message
    Son Kim triangle
    1.3 is out on steam. Sadly its bloody slow for me, I'm seeing the progress bar at the bottom with a simple brush stroke on the Cymourai sample scene. :( This wasn't a issue with 1.2

I should mention its either really slow or smooth depending on where I paint. This is on a 1K map BTW.

edit: Tried it with my own mesh, its blazing fast!
  • WarrenM
    1.3 HYPE! Downloading now...
  • Raayaar
    Offline / Send Message
    Raayaar polycounter lvl 4
    Hi,
    Is it possible to bake opacity map in SP 1.3? Took a very quick look and couldn't find a way...
  • Raayaar
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Not yet, we will add the missing bakers later on.
  • MmAaXx
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    very cool! especially for the shadows in viewport! (finally)
    but now I miss the sun specularity xD

already planned for the next versions?