Home Technical Talk

C# learning resources?

AlecMoody
ngon master
Offline / Send Message
AlecMoody ngon master
Can someone recommend a resource for an artist learning C#? I have a hacky working knowledge of C# from working with unity but I would like to find a good resource for actually understanding how things are supposed to work structurally. I often find larger concepts are glossed over and it is easy for me to get lost.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    I always recommend XNA 101 from 3dbuzz. It's quite old (XNA :)) but it's really good. Long, but if you survive it, you will get knowledge that will allow you to learn any programming language by yourself.

They throw you into the deep straight away, to get you comfortable with writing code. You will feel lost, but watch it, it will get clear in second part of 1 DVD, where they start explaining from scratch. There are very good homework tasks there.

And it's handled by Buzz itself, in the best days of 3Dbuzz.
  • The Flying Monk
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    I found the C# Yellow Book a good place to start. http://www.robmiles.com/c-yellow-book/
    Its pretty good at getting a start on the basic parts of the language. Pretty sure it doesn't get into some of the meatier and cooler parts of c# though.

Mantragora, does anyone Still support or even use XNA these days?
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I have been learning c# the last months.
    Got much help from Mario [PB]Snoelk

I would suggest pluralsight they have many good videos on it.
    Also codeproject have good articles and code examples.

Other than that, what has helped me is having a specific goal of what I would like to create, then go about learning how to solve it instead of the other way around.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Mantragora, does anyone Still support or even use XNA these days?

On Windows 7 there shouldn't be any problems. When it came out, XNA was still alive. I don't know how it will work on Windows 8.

He wants to learn C#. I don't know any better course for this language than XNA 101. They teach by making games. You don't have there sugar UI like in Unity, so they throw quite a lot of theory.

And it's a lot better than Pluralsight.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Awesome, I will check these out.