Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unreal Tournament inspired Flak Cannon.

Replies

• Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    KazeoHin: If its the far LOD are you also turning the normal map down to a lower mip level and viewing it at an appropriate distance?

Like, can you even see the borked normals at the range that will be seen at?
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    What dos LOD mean?
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    Wait! I did some studying and figured it out.

LOD: Level Of Detail.
  • trolhadigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trolhadigital polycounter lvl 4
    It should be included on the next Unreal!
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Can't say I love the dirt treatment, but the model is amazing! I wanted to see more chipped paint around the front and sides of this on the yellow. Seems like you rushed it, come on man the frosting is as important; if not more so than the rest of it.

I wasnt crazy about it at first either but I actually do think it fits. This weapon looks a lot like an engine, having pistons and what not. Engines tend to get really messy and greasy, so I think it fits. What I think he should add though is some kind of grease streaks or something on the pistons themselves instead of them being super clean like they are. Think about the moving parts of the weapon, how it works, and add in details that would go along with that,
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally1.jpg

After a bit of a hiccup getting maya, FBX, and UE4 to talk through their normal issues, I managed to get the Flak into UE4. In UT15 they are going to use mask maps and material layers to render the weapons in-game, so Albedos and other PBR channels are all handled per-layer. This is the last Work I'll do on the model, the rest of the job is up to Epic's awesome art team.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    KazeoHin wrote: »
    Wait! I did some studying and figured it out.

LOD: Level Of Detail.

OH DUH haha. Thanks! Your flak cannon is awesome btw.
    FLAK MONKEY
  • CaptainMigraine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CaptainMigraine polycounter lvl 3
    You've done some pretty amazing work on this gun. Very cool design. Can't wait to see it completely finished and in game in its full glory.
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've done some pretty amazing work on this gun. Very cool design. Can't wait to see it completely finished and in game in its full glory.

I don't know if its "Final" per se, as the game is still in pre-alpha, but the most recent build has the fully textured and animated Flak integrated in. I can't take all the credit, as I didn't touch the animations and a lot of extra work was put into the material textures after it left my hands (the textured post on the previous page shows how I left it). I think it turned out awesome. I took some direct screen-grabs from the alpha:

FlakIG3.jpg

FlakIG4.jpg

Thanks to everyone who provided me crits and encouragement! This is the first time any of my work has appeared in a major title, I've been trying to play it cool, but to be honest, this is one of the more exciting times in my life. I hope everyone loves the Cannon.
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    Man that is super awesome, congrats on turning fan art into a core asset for the next UT!
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man that is super awesome, congrats on turning fan art into a core asset for the next UT!

Thanks! It's quite a rush.