Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Modeling Question

Hey peeps!

Im busy modeling a base mesh to import to zbrush for a game character.
It consists of 2 separate objects - the body and a pair of briefs.

My question is -
Do they need to be welded into a single object? or
Plainly merged to one object?

(see attached for picture)

My gut says that it will be fine to just merge them, but that will leave unseen polys of the body under the briefs.

Is this ok?
I will be baking the Hp later and animating it,im just worried somewhere this might cause an issue.

Replies

• Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I wouldn't bother welding them, but you can combine them into a single object. That way, within Zbrush, you can easily isolate the briefs for modeling without effecting the body since they should register as a separate polygroup.
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Combine = group into a single object without merging verts. I'm not sure what it's called in max, but that's what the function is called in Maya.
  • Christo Oosthuizen
    Marshkin wrote: »
    Combine = group into a single object without merging verts. I'm not sure what it's called in max, but that's what the function is called in Maya.
    Its called merge in 3ds max:poly124:, Thanks bro, Just had to be sure.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    What you do for your high poly is up to you. Usally I use a full body to make the anatomy and then I duplicate the faces I need for the clothing from it in Maya - all as seperated meshes/subtools. This way I have a body beneath the clothing to make sure the minimum volumes stay correct and I don't push clothes into the body.

Once you get to the real time model a completely different ruleset applies. All unseen faces should be deleted. You should make sure there parts are merged so that you don't get holes due to animations ( -> rig/skinning) or that there is additional geometry that would cover eventual holes (example would be here neck & a wider shirt). In your case it should be one object, merged, without covered faces.

In your own example I probably would do the briefs in zBrush already as part of the original body IF you don't need the naked body on its own.

I hope what I wrote makes sense to you and its not a just a mad man's rambling. Also sorry for my terminology, but I am a Maya user and I don't know 3dMax's.
  • Christo Oosthuizen
    co0l746td

ok so i welded the briefs to the body.

Im getting this egdeloop that is out of place, can I simply merge it to the closest correct edgeloop?
  • Christo Oosthuizen